HybridZ

fender mirror visibility

those of you with fender mirrors please chime in and let me know how you like the visibility of your mirrors. I love the look but they just seem to be more form over function, and in something like visibility I perfer function! anyways, let me know how you like your fender mirrors, thanks!

Matt

it does not take long to get adjusted to moving your eyes over instead of your head. I guess my biggest beef is that mirrors are far enough away that the immage is small, not sure if that came out right. when the mirror is within reach, it is a large image to look at. the fenfer mirrors are farther away and thus smaller. I have them adjusted so that I do not have ANY blind spots but it would be nice to look closer if that car behind me has a light bar on it, if you catch my drift.

jimbo

You don't have any blind spots. Door mirros will always have blind spots.

End of the discussion for me. If I can see fine out of the at 45+, you youngsters really shouldn't have any issues. If ya do, consider the eye doctor for a checkup (passing the DMV test does not mean 'my eyes are fine'!)

Just make sure you orient them properly, there are LHD and RHD templates out there, and if you get it wrong....fail!

Also, if you want a 'larger' mirror, the later models have big gaudy ones with a much bigger glass...and they're fully adjustable from the driver's seat.

Thing is, if you adjust them correctly, they don't need readjustment for 'end of day shrinkage' like a door-mounted mirror. If you work out the field of view and trig from driver's eye to focal point, you will see a 1" difference on a door mirror is a readjustment...on a fender mirror it's more like you have to change 5" before a readjustment is required.

My wife is 5'2, and needs the seat 'up front'... My head is a hand's width from the headliner, and the seat is about 1/2 way back on the rails. The fender mirrors on our Fairlady Z 2/2 do not need adjustment between us.

You don't have any blind spots. Door mirros will always have blind spots.

Some come with flat glass mirror and some come with convex mirror. The convex (things are clsoer then the seem) are easier to see out of then the flat glass mirros. As stated above you have zero blind spot with them if they are adjusted right

I daily drive my s30 and LOVE my fender mirrors and as previously stated no blind spots. On top of that I can generally see both side mirrors, rear view mirror, and in front of me at the same time although it does take a bit of practice. I'm in the market for a 5 panel wink mirror as well but that's more for aesthetic purposes than functionality although I've read they do come in handy at times.

I'd say go for it but make sure you get the proper LHD vs RHD template for them as they are not placed in the exact same spot on the fenders I know one is slightly ahead of the other I'd have to go measure my LHD s30 to correctly tell you which one is a bit forward of the other.

I say go for it not only is it a matter of form it also is very much functional which not too many visual modifications can say these days.

• 3 months later...

I found a company that makes exact replica JDM fender mirrors that are electric and come with an ajustable switch for inside the car. They are not RE-Amemiya. I will try to find the site again. I got it saved on my favorites on my laptop.

Have you found the link to those mirrors im quite interested in them as they sound so far.

I daily drive my s30 and LOVE my fender mirrors and as previously stated no blind spots. On top of that I can generally see both side mirrors, rear view mirror, and in front of me at the same time although it does take a bit of practice. I'm in the market for a 5 panel wink mirror as well but that's more for aesthetic purposes than functionality although I've read they do come in handy at times.

I'd say go for it but make sure you get the proper LHD vs RHD template for them as they are not placed in the exact same spot on the fenders I know one is slightly ahead of the other I'd have to go measure my LHD s30 to correctly tell you which one is a bit forward of the other.

I say go for it not only is it a matter of form it also is very much functional which not too many visual modifications can say these days.

i got a winkmirror for my 78' 280z. its works awesome, and looks pretty sick