HybridZ

Early 1970 240Z at Ecology! SAVE IT!

I went to the Ecology auto parts yard in Fontana, and discovered an early 1970 240Z. it looks to be rust free, and the drivetrain complete. it needs the front fenders, valence, grille, etc. its basically a shell with a motor. the rear bumper is intact and in amazing shape, along with a near-perfect steering wheel. somebody save this rare Z. if i didnt have my 240 right now, id do it myself! im going back there tomorrow, so ill take pics.

It's looks like someones abondoned project. It's sanded down a bit, and you can tell someone had been working on it. Maybe they had to give it up, but it's in good shape. And it's in the junkyard. I could only wish they were selling it like that. You can buy the car, I think they wanted 500 er something. And I have looked at the telltale things that it's a 70, and it is! Someone save it! :( those bastards crush it like it's nothing. There was a good condition 240Z at a local Ecology, and sadly, my friend and I found it's crushed remains....it's horrible.

You can tell exactly why it's in there by what is written on the windshield. Likely it was towed under a nusiance or blighted area ordinance. It has nothing to do with people 'not knowing what they have' it has everything to do with the laws that say inoperable vehicles are illegal to have on your property if they are in public view from the street.

well, did he get the pics? :/

Likely not since it's raining like nothing. But that doesn't stop the timer on when the cars get crushed. All it means is it goes to the crusher a bit more complete than it would have otherwise.

Such is life in SoCal. We crush cars others would kill to own. And we laugh when someone spends $5000+ in rust repair on ANY S30 as it far cheaper to simply fly out and buy one and ship it than do that crap!

But people won't listen, so you get what we have here this week...

Yeah got them, sorry for such a late reply, and Tony you shouldn't be telling people to do that since that would put some people who travel from LA to Florida on a bi annual schedule out of making a pretty penny by selling some rust free Z's.

As for the Z I hope this is the right one, Sadly it is not an early 70, but a 71. Lot of work has been put into it though, a lot of the actauly frame seems to have been cut out and new parts welded in. Also has a 6-1 exhaust and an L28. Suspension was stock though.

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

Henestly if you wanted a rolling shell this is it. There are almost no rust holes(a few pin sized one on the rocker panels, but nothing in the floor boards) and other than stripping the tar off, it's ready to be painted.

holy ****....it had more to it when i saw it...but then again, i saw it in the back before it was put out there to be scavenged. i at least hope the parts went to some good cars. someone should get it still!

That is what happens when good cars go out on junk yards. You can't even find an S30 like that in a yard around here.

Wanna eat your heart out on this one guys back east?

An offer of $700 for the car COMPLETE, before it was put into the yard likely would have secured it for you.

The chassis, maybe $300 if stripped totally plus shipping would get it to you. Still cheaper than rust repair on most cars in the Rust Belt.

Unless someone has a very historically significant car (and 99.999% won't) rust repair on a major scale is simply foolish and not fiscally justified.

As for 'ruining' someone's chances for a business of onsie-twosies... yeah right! I got people who fly from EUROPE and buy cars a CONTAINER LOAD at a time from SoCal (they do it from Japan as well...)

The cars are going to where people appreciate them and will spend the money to keep them maintained. I have sold cars 'for parts' that once in Europe were used as a complete vehicle because even heavily crash damaged, the SOLIDITY of the chassis made the repair to the wreck cheaper than the rust repair to the Euro Chassis.

As someone once said (who preps rally cars in Europe) "This chassis (a 1978 280Z) after acid dipping had less evidence of rust on it than a 3 year old BMW driven here daily!"

There are plenty of foolish people with more money than sense, fear not they will suddenly see the light and spend less for their car, or their rust repair. Some people you won't reach even with the Bat Signal!