HybridZ

Tires to use for Hill Climbs

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new set of tires for the Z. The car will be used for Hill Climbs and a few Open Road races.

I will not likley be running at the front of the class as this will be a new type of racing for me. I need to drive conservatively as I dont want to break or bend the car. This is for fun with my Son.

I need tires that stick well and are consistant for many miles (not 60 Sec A/X blasts). Hopefully,( one can dream), they will last a season (6-10 events). There are not really many miles driven at these events, so they will probably hold up ok.

Tire size is 275-40x17, F&R.

Probably a track day type tire would fit the bill.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Mongo

Not to hijack, but i'm about to order the Hankook Ventus Z214 (which comes in that size). I'm getting it as it's the cheapest semi i've found, but you might consider it too. It comes in two compounds, so you could maybe try both to find the best balance of wear, grip, warmup time for you, and not have to retune quite as much as if changing brands as well.

Dave

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 has been a very good tire for track days for me and are tough enough for the street. They have recieved very good reviews and the autocross guys use them because they have great cold grip that doesn't fall off too much when they get heat in them. I've heard Toyo proxes RA 1 need to get some heat in them before they grip well. But they probably have ultimately higher grip.

Agree with 30

For DOT R compounds go with Toyo RA1s. Full tread for lots of wear or shave them to 4/32nds for a more aggressive grip. They grip well and will stick until they cord.

For true street tires the Dunlop Star Spec or Falken Azenis RT-615s. Close but not as good grip wise but they wear much better.

Edited by tjandriesen

I say you need to pick your goals and budget. R compounds will be fast but wear fast and are not very robust to user error (i.e. lockem up and you flatspot them). 140 treadwear street tires are still relatively fast but last forever, give really good driver feedback, and are really quite durable to surviving user error. If this is your first attempt at racing I highly recommend starting on 140 street tires. I used to run slicks - not R comps but true slicks and they feel more numb and easy to flatspot and ruin and they wear fast. Last year I switched to a different class running street tires and am so glad I did. I'm running Bridgestone RE-01 (since been replaced with RE-11) and have ~11 track days, ~5000 street miles, and two parking lot autox on them and they still have something rediculous like 4/32" minimum tread left. I plan to run four more track days then switch to Hancook RS3 street tires for the first race this season. After reading much feedback is seems they are one of the faster street tires and as a bonus are by far the cheapest. Hancook RS3, Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlap Star Spec are all the top end street tires and I'm sure would work well for you.

Also need to consider the rules and what class you'll be in. If you have some racing experience and want to be fast the hot ticket is the Hoosier R6 R-compound but expect to spend $$$$$.

Cameron

Thanks for all the input fellas. I went with the RA1's in a 275-40 X 17. They are sold by the local tire merchant (Les Schwab Tires) and are on the shelf locally.

$999.20 mounted, balanced, Metal stems. ouch! But a pretty good price considering.

Mongo