HybridZ

Comments on the new Ferrari FF

mpramsey

It looks great! I love the "shooting brake" styling and didn't expect Ferrari to come out with something like this. I'm not a big fan of the headlights and front end, but it's a minor gripe. Although I really like the M-Coupe as well, so I'm a bit biased to the styling.

Honestly, in the end I'd prefer the M-Coupe to the overpriced, overly-luxo Ferrari any day, unless someone wants to let me drive the Ferrari. :D

Edited by Leon

Not a fan of the shooting brake style of car. It's not a bad design, just not pleasing to my personal sense of the aesthetic. This particular car reminds me a lot of the M-coupes, partially because of the fact that they're both shooting brake style cars, and as such are rather rare. Few alternatives to compare to.

It's an interesting concept, although I'd have to say it seems to depart from Ferrari's design ethos quite a bit. A four seat Ferrari? Sounds like a four door Porsche. Panamera, anyone? I'd always believed Ferraris were meant for the fellow that cared nothing for practicality. It would seem to me that a shooting brake Ferrari speaks of a need for practicality. Ferraris aren't practical. Nobody, save maybe Bill Gates, DDs a Ferrari, four seats or no.

Just my .02.

/long winded.

There have been plenty 4-seat Ferraris before this one, albeit no Ferrari shooting brakes since the '70s. I agree that it doesn't quite fit with Ferrari's modern image, but on its own it's a good looking car in my eyes. Again, I'm a big fan of wagons, hatchbacks and shooting brakes.

Speaking of shooting brakes, there have been some great designs in the past including some of my favorites:

BMW M-Coupe

70yiw9.jpg

Volvo P1800ES

tumblr_layyr6UTYZ1qaywnlo1_500.jpg

MGB GT

MGB%20GT%2015%20ML.JPG

I hadn't realized that Ferrari built a few four seat cars. What were they? I'd like to see them!

A few that come to mind: California, Scaglietti, 456 GT, 412, Mondial, 365 GT, 330 America, etcetera...

Don't forget the triumph gt6, love that car. I like the front end styling. Has a menacing grin look front head on, other than that I'm not a fan. I don't understand the "shooting brake" terminology though. Might someone explain?

The GT6 is a great design, but I'd consider it more of a hatch/fastback.

This should get you started.

The front half isn't bad, and the rear half isn't bad... but all together it just looks fugly to me. I can see that it's "well styled" and that people might like it. But it just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather have a more hardcore ferrari, or if I wanted something practical I'd get a STI Wagon....

Everything is always a compromise, but I fail to see where this car's compromise has an audience.

Redo the happy face, cut out the rear two seats but keep the wheel base the same, make it MORE like the roofline of a austin, jag, daytona coupe or what have you and I think it'd have a market.

Edited by Gollum

The thing that I think is actually quite neat is the all wheel drive system that this car uses.

Instead of having two output shafts come out of the front of the transmission like on a Subaru, or having a second driveshaft come forward out of a transfer case like on some other cars, this car has two output shafts coming out of the ENGINE!

Instead of one regular output shaft that comes out of the rear, this has one in the rear, and one in the front! The front transaxle is also pretty small and is really only used under hard acceleration, other than that it's 100% rwd.

Now normall I'd be 100% against an awd Ferrari, but I think this new setup is slick as hell.

Edited by Neverdone

I think it follows the current Japanese theme of car design more closely than any Italian themes. More Mazda than Maranello.

Not a fan personally.

Lets not forget the Jensen (not Healy) GT (wagon/shooting brake) of the seventies. That was a good looking car. It technically had a back seat. But with the front seats slid all the way forward the rear passengers had about four inchs of leg room.

http://www.justacargeek.com/2009/10/1976-jensen-gt-jensens-last-gasp.html

Edited by Dan Juday