HybridZ

Modded 240z ,interesting.

Hmm looking at those picts it makes the hood look all funny, kinda xtra long for the car. I'm sure it looks a lot better in person, but judged just from the picts, I don't like it...

Now if I was going to chop or slice a S30, I would much more be inclined to chop it down the center and make a wide body Z. Say add about 6 or 8 inches width to the whole thing. This is because I'm used to the roominess of my DD Z32. but the S30 is so nimble. I don't know if widening the body would change that. Some definite issues in doing so would be:

1. be the glass, it would need to be custom shaped. Unless another car came with something that might work and look the same only wider. This matters for both the front and the back

2. The Floor pans on either side of the tranny tunnel would need to be widened, or you'd have a huge tranny tunnel, but wider pans means wider seats more comfy is possible then, Of course looks would matter

3. the hood, Either you're cut it down the middle and make it wider or better widen it on either side of the hood hump to preserve the look. Tailight panels would merely need plastic or fibre glass to widen them.

Widening the rest like the engine mounts and suspension mounts would be easy compared to the body work.

Maybe if I get some Photoshop time I'll work on a rendering. Interresting idea, but likely way too much work. but I bet it would look cool.

Phar

It's too much of a chop IMO it makes the rest of the car look huge, its probably the wheels that add to the effect as well.

I personally think this one is much more tastefully done.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/645045/1973-datsun-240z

Yeah, See having the windshield right and more slanted is much better. The profile of this one is much nicer. it almost doesn't look chopped, till you compare it to a stock one. I hope he's able to complete the project. Awefully nice LS7 he's putting in too.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/645045/1973-datsun-240z

This is the way to do a chop on a z!!!! looks like the blue one above didn't lean the windshield back. IMHO if you chop you have to lay back the windshield or it doesn't look right. and the blue car is a perfect example of that!!!

Edited by stony

The problem I have with it is functionality. We already sit low in the car and tall drivers find headroom to be wanting. I'd feel like one of these crazy kids driving around with the damn seat leaned fully back trying to see over the dash. It's hard to improve on the classic S30 lines. Here's a link, http://outlaws.smugmug.com/Customer-Cars/GM/88-Chopped-Top-LS3-Fiero-Jim/15747734_V8izH#1215940263_NBuu9 to a 88 Fiero GT my friend's husband built. With the shorter hood, it's easier to see over to drive. I don't care for the pointless cowl-induction hood considering it's a rear-engined vehicle.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

Hm, way to ruin an S30. The ebay pics look scary. Looks like he did just sink the windshield (like the OP suggested) and didn't add any length to the roof. I.E. just hacked off the bottom 5" and welded it where it sat, which is why the windshield sits further back from the cowl. It's a shame that metalworking talent wasn't focused towards fixing the rust.

This just makes me sad, especially now seeing the crap assed paint job thrown on it. It's pretty rusty in a lot of the commone places. at least the rims look nice. It's nowhere worth that price though. That's the trouble with extreme mods, you're never going to recoup your costs, especially if you don't do a quality job in the first place. Gotta stick to the common upgrade mods and do a quality job to preserve any value. The main value in our cars is how we enjoy them.

Edited by Pharaohabq