HybridZ
Derek

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

I cut them in the mill. It's a bit of a pain when doing single pieces since it's not worth making a fixture. I hold the stock in a vice but the jaws need to be longer than the cut out or things get ugly when your doing the outline and the setup suddenly looses is grip on the material. 

VCT Plumbing

Got the hardlines mostly done for the intake phaser control. Went well just tedious and time consuming.

The bottom two lines are advance and retard and the top two lines are returns. The center is the feed. They are 5/16 OD which gives me an ID that closely matches the Honda circuit.

IMG_2264.jpg

It started off easy and then I remembered that an alternator needed to sit in there. That made things a little more interesting.

IMG_2266.jpg

The bulkhead fittings worked out great.

IMG_2265.jpg

I chose to use soft aluminum tubing for the interior lines. I knew routing them was going to be a bitch and I wasn’t wrong. Looks a little rough but it will work. Non of the fittings are compressed yet. I’ll lock everything down during the final assembly and then tweak everything so they have clearance.

IMG_2270.jpg

Feeding through the caps turned out to be a better way to go than through the tower bases.

IMG_2269.jpg

I had to redesign the EDIS coil bracket since the valve was now in the way. It’s not as hidden as it used to be but when the throttle bodies and stacks are on it should be buried pretty well.

IMG_2267.jpg

I’m super glad I went this route with the VCT valve. The look of it is exactly what I wanted and he hard lines fit the whole theme of the build.

IMG_2268.jpg

Lots happening over the next few weeks as I try and finish it up and get it back in the car.

• Like 1

Seems like the channel in the valve cover is asking for the plug wires to be reversed and the bundle come out the back and over the starter. Then we could better see your valve block and hard lines. 

Hi Tioga

I may give that a try and see how it looks. I really like the wires in the front but then again I never tried them running towards the back. It's pretty crowded back there with the injection hard lines.

Exterior hard lines finished. 

IMG_2308.jpg

Got everything fabed up. Very happy with the results.

I added a sandwich adapter in order to be able to get more oil for the VCT. The oil pressure port was fine for the cam oil feeds but I felt it would not keep up with the VCT. I moved everything over to the sandwich plate. The oil pressure switches are still on the oil pressure port.

IMG_2309.jpg

Rear oil feed.

IMG_2307.jpg

Hard lines are a ton of effort but for me well worth it.

8 hours ago, supernova_6969 said:

looks awesome...

tell me, why is the rear feed zig zaging? is it some form of strain relief?

s

Thanks.

The zig zag lets you adjust the length of the line for final tweaking. That one was a little more pronounced than I would have liked but it's hidden so I left it. Even a single bend will give you some options.  

Making progress. Almost at the point where I can test the oil system.

Front covers on.

IMG_2327.jpg

Internal lines finished.

IMG_2329.jpg

Externals as well.

IMG_2328.jpg

Getting closer!

IMG_2330.jpg

Hopefully Monday I can start testing the oil volume/pressures.

1 hour ago, JavelinZ said:

Those S7 cams look money. Along with everything else obviously.

Thanks. 

Yea the S7 looks so nice. The 8620 looked great with the copper plating but not so great after spending time in hot oil. The best part about the S7 is it's through hardened so as long as there is enough base circle you can regrind it. 

19 hours ago, Derek said:

Realized I never posted this pic of SN005. The Ferrea rockers look amazing.

20181014164010-1e736a4f-me.jpg

Jenvey 48mm and a Megasquirt setup from Linfert Performance.

20181014164441-5de91079.jpg

That's going to sound so good! Will you do different intake runner lengths?  I know people say longer= lower rpm torque.