#1121 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted A week ago

HIPing is great for microporosity but does add cost. Repair welds are easier too. But it is limited to internal defects. Anything with a leak path to the surface will not be affected.

That's what they explained to me when I was talking to one of their engineers. My main concern has always been micro porosity in the chambers and deck. My hope is that having the castings HIPed will help me sleep at night. Oh and make for a better casting:)

We typically don't specify a hip for anything unless a cut up shows more internal porosity than we can live with. Again, cost driven. Sacrificing a casting for EDM slicing is really the only way to know what you have.

Oh you fancy pants facilities with your fancy pants destructive testing and analysis.

The foundry is still a production sand cast foundry and I'm doing one casting at a time right now and can't imagine doing anymore than four at a time so that limits my options.  I'm really confident in my metal flow and risering at this point. The casting has mimicked my flow/thermal analysis exactly so I'm very confident that I'm not getting any huge internal inclusions.

EDIS Mounting kits are BACK IN stock!!!
http://datsunworks.com/page3/page4/

#1122 clarkspeed

clarkspeed

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationDowntown Orlando Florida

Posted A week ago

You are awesome! Did I already say that in an earlier post?

S30 Motorsports: Restoring, building, and racing vintage cars.  Current projects: 71 240Z CP Bob Leitzinger tribute vintage race car, 70 240Z partial tube frame IMSA GTU vintage race car, 60 Mini Cooper vintage race car.  "If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones

#1123 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted A week ago

Got the head back from the foundry and for the first time I have all the parts under one roof. Figured I'd take a family photo:)

IMG_1659_zps7kiif9iw.jpg

Guess I better get busy on the milling machine!

You are awesome! Did I already say that in an earlier post?

Aww you're making me blush.

EDIS Mounting kits are BACK IN stock!!!
http://datsunworks.com/page3/page4/

#1124 depth

depth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSeattle WA

Posted A week ago

Ohh nice

Edited by depth, A week ago.