HybridZ

240Z Pro-Touring Build

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet. I'm sure it will be hard to find and expensive. I am searching now. Progress has bee slow due to building a new house/shop. I'll put a Coyote in there to get by until I can source the Voodoo if I have to. Rear pattern is the same. I'm sure I can make money on a Coyote long term. I already have some of the necessary parts for the upgrade on a F150 based engine. They can be had really cheap. Rods, cams, a few covers and maybe some port work and your over what a Mustang would be. HPTuners (which I already have along with Ford credits) will flash the ECM on either.

Edited by jpndave

• 6 months later...

Only small steps lately as I'm building a new house with a little nicer garage/shop attached. Has consumed most Z time. 1969honda  and I have been working on the rear a bit. Have the aluminum carrier and he has a complete sub assembly we're going to pull at least the pickup points from. Looking at possibly using hubs and brakes as well. We'll see how it goes.

Grabbed a fiberglass spoiler like my old urethane to build on, rockers and some extra new front lenses. Also, parts for a rotisserie.

As soon as this house is out of the way and I can focus on more important things I'd really like to get the bodywork package here and the chassis up on the rotisserie.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the input Ryan but that would kind of defeat the point of the build. It may get a Coyote temporarily. I have a set of rods for one already so I could use a truck based engine even earlier years and might even make a bit of $ when it comes out to go towards the Voodoo. Long term, I'd just do an LS if that were the goal. I'm intimately familiar with the platform, have lots of parts, etc. But, I want the sound, high RPM revs and the way the power delivers from that flat plane crank. 500hp to the wheels will be great and the car might actually start out without completely being out of control. Will it cost quite a bit more? Pretty sure that will be the case. This isn't a budget build.

Sadly not a very fast one either. Hopefully some updates will come in the near future. We're working on the 8.8 from the new mustangs and are getting closer on that project. Just moved it over to my new shop/garage for storage while I finish up the house and get everything else moved over. Thought I had a rotisserie all sorted but 1969honda came up with a better idea so I may go that route instead. Collecting a few pieces here and there. Just no time to dive in until the house is done.

post-31627-0-88000900-1503367080_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My advice, from screwing up this a number of times, is to get the engine and tranny last.  You never know how long it will take to complete these projects and what looked awesome now may be a lot less awesome in years to come.  Not to mention potentially cheaper.

Cary

Too late on the transmission but that was a deal I couldn't pass up. It was a trade deal at like half price. I'll agree on getting parts more as needed, especially this particular engine as prices will only come down. I'd love to see a direct inject version of it too.

Sadly I've had too much experience with cutting edge parts that ultimately ended up on eBay because something better came out or I changed directions. I have a whole pro-street Harley/Ducati project I need to sell along with a bunch of other project's cool parts.

There is a huge amount of work to do before the engine holds progress up. It will probably get a Coyote initially for mock up and the fact I can actually make money selling that engine if truck based when I find the right Voodoo. I need to focus on the shell, structure, suspension and body first. Most of that I have parts for or won't require substantial investment.

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to just see a Voodoo sitting in that engine bay but you are all too right about "cart before the horse".

Thanks for the comment and following along.

• 7 months later...
On 5/25/2016 at 2:05 PM, jpndave said:

Brake and clutch master cylinders and balance bar. Not sure if I will use this or just buy a set of pedals, leaning towards the "buy pedals" option.

post-31627-0-48980300-1464206795_thumb.jpg

wait so will this be a quad master cylinder setup? one for each wheel? I've never even thought about this being a reality ha. interesting!

I just read through your project...sounds really good....definitely pushing the envelope.

Might be a dumb question, but are you sure the Coyote will even fit?  The LSX engines fit because they are a pushrod design and thus quite compact, but OHC V-8s tend to be extremely bulky.  I mean, I know anything can be made to fit, but won't it be a major challenge?

I haven't lowered one in the bay yet but the dimensions will work. Length is is a non issue. Width will be easy with my planned A-arms and clears stock towers by 2" (1"each side). Height is the big question - stock I don't think will go cleanly and have any ground clearance at the oil pan. There are at least two aftermarket low profile oil pan versions that should solve it (like 4" of extra clearance) or you could always use a dry sump.

A new house/shop have prevented much progress but that is nearing the end so hopefully things can move forward shortly. I've been hesitant to grab the engine until closer to needing it for the reasons Tube80z mentioned. Yellowoctopus and bimmota have mod motors in their cars and I think the mod is a little taller. I'm sure there will be surprises and look forward to sorting it out.

On 5/25/2016 at 7:38 AM, jpndave said:

I have seriously gone back and forth on the engine. I am intimately familiar with the LS family. That route would be cheaper and easier, no contest. Lighter than a Coyote (LS is ~430, Coyote ~444, heavier than Voodoo, no specific #s I have found overall but the crank alone more than makes up the difference).

Note that the voodoo doesn't have traditional flat plane pin arrangements, and as such isn't significantly lighter than the cross plane crank for the 5.0. The reason Ford made the single plane for the GT350 was 100% about exhaust packaging, and alternating the firing order made it possible to fit exhaust that worked up to redline without modification to the chassis.

3 hours ago, jpndave said:

I haven't lowered one in the bay yet but the dimensions will work. Length is is a non issue. Width will be easy with my planned A-arms and clears stock towers by 2" (1"each side). Height is the big question - stock I don't think will go cleanly and have any ground clearance at the oil pan. There are at least two aftermarket low profile oil pan versions that should solve it (like 4" of extra clearance) or you could always use a dry sump.

A new house/shop have prevented much progress but that is nearing the end so hopefully things can move forward shortly. I've been hesitant to grab the engine until closer to needing it for the reasons Tube80z mentioned. Yellowoctopus and bimmota have mod motors in their cars and I think the mod is a little taller. I'm sure there will be surprises and look forward to sorting it out.

The height was mainly what I expected to be the problem.  I am also sort of into the E30 BMW scene, and there have been a few swaps into those of BMW V-8s and V-10s of DOHC design.  They are freakin huge.  In contrast, the LSX engines drop right in by comparison.  But of course, putting a small-block Chevy into a BMW gets the purist's panties all in a bunch....

On 9/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, Ironhead said:

The height was mainly what I expected to be the problem.  I am also sort of into the E30 BMW scene, and there have been a few swaps into those of BMW V-8s and V-10s of DOHC design.  They are freakin huge.  In contrast, the LSX engines drop right in by comparison.  But of course, putting a small-block Chevy into a BMW gets the purist's panties all in a bunch....

LOL, isn't that the truth all around! I totally agree that the LS would be MUCH "easier". Love the LS3+ in my JK and can't wait to get hear/feel the 6.8L stroked version come to life. But...not what I'm after in the Z. Totally respect all those that are going the LS route. I originally was going that route and practically speaking (as far as ease and cost one install) still should.

I had an '08 LLT - original 3.6L first used in the CTS and base Camaro which is an impressive engine that I was going to use in an abandoned project. Super short but WOW on the width up top and height - freakin huge as you so eloquently put it. Still have a few parts for that one imported from Australia to make it work right.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, Gollum said:

Note that the voodoo doesn't have traditional flat plane pin arrangements, and as such isn't significantly lighter than the cross plane crank for the 5.0. The reason Ford made the single plane for the GT350 was 100% about exhaust packaging, and alternating the firing order made it possible to fit exhaust that worked up to redline without modification to the chassis.

I don't want my build thread to turn into a debate on what the Voodoo is and is not. What it "is" at this point is my choice for my build. I'll totally agree that the crank is not as light as some flat plane designs. The arrangement of U-D-U-D and firing order are indeed different to accommodate the single intake plenum which I'm sure was done for packaging in the Mustang and cross compatibility with the Coyote. The intake and heads are now sold as upgrades for the Coyote. "100% about exhaust packaging" is simply not true. The flat plane allows all eight cylinders to breathe close to the same - not so with a cross plane either intake or exhaust. That in turn allowed tuning to an inch of its life (you have to tune for the least effecient cylinder), 12:1 compression - without direct injection, stratosphere 8200+ rpm (from the flat plane too - the similar component Coyote is 7500rpm which is still respectable), not great torque on the bottom and IMO one of the most beautifully intoxicating sounds I've ever heard if exhausted correctly. My thinking is that torque lacking on the lower end will be a different story in a car that's 1200lbs lighter. Better (or maybe better said, more useable) power delivery for the lighter Z platform. Intoxicating sound and high rpms with broad power curve and awesome top end are my reasons for the choice. Easy? Nope!

As far as weight goes the only semi official numbers I've seen are from Ward's putting it right at the LS3 430lb mark. One wrecking yard I am considering purchasing one from swears it hit the scales at 297 which is no way correct, maybe 397... I can live with 430 and will hope for less. The crank itself does have much more counterweight than I'd hoped for but I suspect that they are there for a reason on that engine. It it a higher quality forged crank more on par with the 4" Manley I have for my LS and drilled rod pins, etc. make it lighter but they do the same to my cross plane LS. The plasma spray liners make it lighter also - again do the same thing to a 5.2L Coyote.

Thanks for following along. I'm hoping to get to the project soon and make some headway.

Edited by jpndave