HybridZ
Ironhead

ANOTHER Datsun Z/LS3/T56 Swap Thread

Ironhead    0

As the title says....I am just starting the teardown on a '74 260Z that I am going to strip, media blast, cage, and swap in (probably) an LS3 and T56 6-speed.

Here are pics of the car in its current form:

16179643_3_zpsifvk5ac7%201_zpsmyrwdkym.j

16179643_2_zpslj88ihoi.jpg

16179643_5_zpsm8yi2zcg.jpg

16179643_6_zpsdouu82ev.jpg

The car clearly has had some cosmetic restoration work done to it during the course of it's existence, and some have expressed to me that it is "too nice" to do to it what I have in mind.  But it really isn't all that nice.  The paint job looks OK from 20 feet, but in reality it is a cheap respray with over spray on bumper rubber, glass rubber, and many other places.  Also, the engine is just....tired...and it feels like it is putting out about 80 RWHP.  And finally, it is an automatic....and I have trouble believing that first gen Zs were even sold with autos....so out of character for the car.  In a nutshell, I have no hesitation to strip it down and start over.

The plus...I cannot find any rust...anywhere.  I think the car spent it's life in the Mojave desert.

The plan (subject to evolution) is to make it into a pure track car that is still street legal (barely).

I will try to keep regular updates.  I have just started dismantling it. 

Ironhead    0

Just a small update....been spending the past week gradually disassembling the car.  I realize this forum probably does not need more photos of dismantled Z cars, but for the sake of thread continuity, here they are.

Big job, tearing a car down to every last nut and bolt.  I have worked on cars a lot before but never a complete disassembly.  More time consuming than I expected....and I expected it to be time consuming.

So far shell looks good.  Frame rails are a bit dented and abused, but still no sign of any rust at all.

Thanks for looking.

vDQQ2lF.jpg

pG0R1gR.jpg

RJkq0VF.jpg

LXvYwgb.jpg

iIQ5zSc.jpg

9VNouzf.jpg

Ironhead    0
Posted (edited)

Just more boring teardown photos.....

Car is completely dismantled, and again I am very happy about the condition of the OEM metal.  I will have to check "rust repair as needed" off my list of jobs.  It does have bowed up floorpans from improper jacking/lifts, which I hope I can address with a 5# rubber mallet and a section of 2"X4" lumber.

Next on my list is removing all the assorted brackets/harness attachment points that I won't be using, and wire brushing off most of the seam sealer in preparation for media blasting.

Thanks for looking.

0pIUeFk.jpg

5wM0MlV.jpg

X7rbVfd.jpg

2ZMCFA1.jpg

VFzIPKK.jpg

Edited by Ironhead

Ironhead    0

Car is back from media blasting and has been epoxy primed.

No real surprises emerged, except it had a fairly substantial dent right behind the driver's door that had been pulled a bit and heavily bondoed.  Also the rear hatch had somehow been damaged...was all rippled....and will either need bondo or replacement when things go back together.  The only rust was the small spot (2"X2") under the driver's seat that I mentioned in my last post, where someone probably spilled a beer in 1977 or something.

Nice knowing exactly what I have to work with now, and also nice that it no longer smells like foot, ass, and mold.

Next up is carefully positioning racing shells and welding in brackets for them, so I know where to start building the roll cage.  That should be interesting since I have never bent a tube before.

There will also be extensive seam stitch welding and strengthening of the underbody rails with the Bad Dog units.

Thanks for looking.

1aJFxxV.jpg

AXt0G5d.jpg

oPjuyjd.jpg

FhR8kbP.jpg

QNnlwAQ.jpg

Ironhead    0

Just working on replacing damaged or otherwise ugly sheet metal.  This is the first time I have ever done any sort of bodywork, and I was a bit apprehensive about how it would go....but so far it seems pretty straightforward.

I am spraying the back of the "blind" panels with epoxy primer before I weld them in, but obviously the welding will burn off the epoxy in the immediate area.  Any suggestions for rust proofing the resulting bare metal on the backside of the panels, since there is no longer any good way to get at it?  I was going to spray in one of the "cavity wax" products once painting was complete, or is there a better solution?

Thanks for looking.

jE2XJRk.jpg

yHB6QQg.jpg

ykqqGpL.jpg

WspfSyu.jpg

kR0O5zI.jpg

jcdBntk.jpg