Jump to content
HybridZ
Home Built by Jeff

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I have owned my 1971 240Z for around 12 months now, but this week I have finally been able to start work on it. I have been going hard on my other project, a 1973 Porsche 911 RSR inspired build, but I am waiting for custom engine parts, so I can finally start my Z project.

I bought the car as someones failed project, so it was completely stripped. Everything is there though, and it is an amazingly clean, rust free shell, so it should make for a great project.

This week I first needed to replace the front wheel bearings on the 911 so I could put wheels on it and move it out of the way. I then got into doing a stocktake on my Z to see what it needed, and start formulating a plan for the build.

 

Here is the episode.

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNU6IjrrEU

Edited by Home Built by Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

Welcome! I thought your name seemed familiar but it took me a moment to place it. If I remember right, you did a video of a track day with Jack Olsen. Anyway - I've added you to my subscriptions list to follow the build.

Yep. Jack was nice enough to take me out on the track in his beast. I have been concentrating on my 911 for so long, it is refreshing to start on something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LLave said:

Hey, it's that guy from youtube. Welcome aboard, I look forward to following your project progress. Thank you for making educational videos with tech. Can't get enough tech!

It is home tech at least. I can't guarantee it is the right way, but I get there in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, Home Built by Jeff said:

It is home tech at least. I can't guarantee it is the right way, but I get there in the end.

That's what makes your channel good. Home tech is where most of us exist. I love watching a pro in action in a well tooled specialty shop, but most the time, it just doesn't translate to what I am hacking together in my garage. Sharing our successes and failures in the home shop can be so valuable. Keep up the good work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to agree with LLave, the problems you're having are relatable, and the solutions you find are useful. I've just started rust repair on my Z. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm already learning something from your videos (combating that damned warping!). Keep it up.

Also, I've gotta say, that dent puller you made reminds me a lot of something my dad would make. He's very frugal, and extremely DIY minded. He's got a lot of home made tools at this point in his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rturbo 930 said:

I'd have to agree with LLave, the problems you're having are relatable, and the solutions you find are useful. I've just started rust repair on my Z. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm already learning something from your videos (combating that damned warping!). Keep it up.

Also, I've gotta say, that dent puller you made reminds me a lot of something my dad would make. He's very frugal, and extremely DIY minded. He's got a lot of home made tools at this point in his life.

Thanks mate. The warping is not a big issue. What is really comes down to, is if you put heat into metal, it moves, full stop. It can be managed, and you can minimise it as much as you can, but you may have to just massage it back to where it is suppose to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how relate able the videos you make are! Like everyone else has said, its something that one of us would be doing with our cars versus a professional shop.

I have also started watching the home built house videos you have made. I absolutely love it! These are similar things that I am doing with my house/want to do in the future and it has given me some awesome ideas. Please keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, lowrider said:

I love how relate able the videos you make are! Like everyone else has said, its something that one of us would be doing with our cars versus a professional shop.

I have also started watching the home built house videos you have made. I absolutely love it! These are similar things that I am doing with my house/want to do in the future and it has given me some awesome ideas. Please keep it up!

Thanks mate. Particularly with the house videos, they are definitely not a how to. They are just the dodgy way I do it ;) . Also your building codes in your part of the world more than likely differ a lot from mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In on of your last videos you were talking about warping as a result of heat generated from grinding down mig welds. 

3M makes a 3" grinding wheel specifically designed for grinding mig welds. They are a little pricey but honesty they work amazing. Loud as heck, they make a bit of a mess, but they remove weld very quickly and somehow minimize heat build up. The ones I like are part number 1991. I get them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRLF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

I have learned that good panel fit-up with a gap about the diameter of my mig wire, results in a stronger flatter weld that takes way less grinding. It's like bondo, put it on clean and you have less to sand off. But also like bondo, it doesn't always go as planned. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started watching your Porsche series.  Really neat to see you attempt the interior and paint work.  Things I attempt that never work out as well as a professional.  But the pride you get from doing it on your own!   Great job, lots of respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2017 at 5:07 AM, LLave said:

In on of your last videos you were talking about warping as a result of heat generated from grinding down mig welds. 

3M makes a 3" grinding wheel specifically designed for grinding mig welds. They are a little pricey but honesty they work amazing. Loud as heck, they make a bit of a mess, but they remove weld very quickly and somehow minimize heat build up. The ones I like are part number 1991. I get them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRLF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

I have learned that good panel fit-up with a gap about the diameter of my mig wire, results in a stronger flatter weld that takes way less grinding. It's like bondo, put it on clean and you have less to sand off. But also like bondo, it doesn't always go as planned. 

 

Those are very interesting. I will have to check them out.

17 hours ago, HuD 91gt said:

Started watching your Porsche series.  Really neat to see you attempt the interior and paint work.  Things I attempt that never work out as well as a professional.  But the pride you get from doing it on your own!   Great job, lots of respect.

'It may not be perfect, but it's Home Built' ;) 

 

Are my 240Z's doors completely rusted out and junk? They have been covered up with a mountain of bog and paint, so this week I strip them down and see if I can save them.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×