tfreer85

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Saturday, I went on a little hike with my middle daughter along the Roslyn Lake wooden water flume. The 3 mile long ALL wooden Flume is being decommissioned, cut into 30 foot long sections and flown out by Helicopter. I have always wanted to hike the flume since we moved here, just never got around to it, so it was no or never…

Short story is, in 1906, the lake next to our house was built as a reservoir of water for the power station at the bottom of the hill. The lake was fed from a river up the mountain using a 3 mile long wooden flume. Everything, Lake, flume, power station, Dams, etc, were all built starting in 1906, online in 1913! This year, PG&E decommissioned the power station, flume, dams that fed the flume and drained the lake itself. The lake was well established, (here for 100 years), literally on the corner of our property, thousands of Canadian Geese used it all year round, deer, etc. The lake was even stocked every 2 months with trout and sometimes steel head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslyn_Lake

At any rate, Fuzzy and I, (one of her nick names), started our hike ON top of the flume, for the first mile. Then due to the work from decommissioning, the upper deck was cut out every 30 feet so we dropped down inside and walked the last 2 miles inside the flume. The first ½ mile was surreal the rest was,... you have to experience it to understand. The Flume inside is approx 12 feet across and 8 feet deep, for 3 miles!!!!!!

I planned to take my Nikon D-70s, but Ron offered his Nikon D-80 w/the 18-200 VR lens, so off we went, Rons camera in hand. The D-80 is quite noticeably quicker than the D-70s.

A HUGE thank you to Ron for his Post Processing efforts with the first two pics. The other three are completely untouched.

Flume2MiniB.jpg

Flume3Mini.jpg

Flume2.jpg

Flume1.jpg

Flume3.jpg

Very cool shots Paul, and I'm sure your daughter will remember that day for a long time!

Hopefully this isn't too off topic since they're not my pictures, but here are 2 sites that are all about exploring old and abandoned sites. Careful, you can loose a few hours before you know it :wink:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=265602590&blogID=398532326

http://vanishingpoint.ca/

Here is a shot Looking North (westward bend) on the Hudson River from Peekskill, NY. There was a fair but the weather was playing cat and mouse with us. It produced some amazing natural lighting. We had rain/sun/rain/sunset/rain all mixed together. Shot with my ultra-portable backup camera, Panasonic Lumix FX-35

All are natural lighting un-processed.

373825823_bdECH-L.jpg

373827178_VBtVe-L.jpg

373827695_vWDAG-L.jpg

GOT CLOUDS?

373824743_KgQvN-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Saturday drove up the Columbia River Highway, scenic Birthday drive for a new family member. Also stopped by a viewpoint just above our place for a few pics of Mt. hood as well..

All pictures taken with Nikon D70s, (needs the CCD cleaned real bad), NO post processing other the resized.

Lower section of Multnomah Falls;

DSC_9644.jpg

Horse Tail falls;

DSC_9689.jpg

Forgot the name of this one, sorry;

DSC_9672.jpg

Lower section of a smaller fall;

DSC_9718.jpg

Inside the Vista House;

DSC_9793.jpg

Mt Hood;

DSC_9811.jpg

Mt Hood, Moon and clouds;

DSC_9805.jpg

Mt Hood, Moon and valley below;

DSC_9800.jpg

• Administrators

As I posted earlier with pics of the 3 mile long water flume my daughter and I hiked a few weeks back, today they started flying out those section of the flume in 30 foot sections, staging it in the NW corner of the what used to be Roslyn Lake. Flume sections are approx 12 feet wide, 8 feet tall and 30 feet long. Being as our house so close, (on the NW corner), the big picture windows in our living room resonate with each "wump wump" of the those huge twin rotors each time he comes in... (pretty cool…)

Here are a few shots…

DSC_9862.jpg

DSC_9823.jpg

DSC_9824.jpg

• Administrators

Took these pics a few days ago, 6:50 am Oct 14th with the Nikon D70s, 70-300mm lens from the front yard. There were 3 doe Mule deer in the neighbors pasture amongst the early fog. It was a beautiful morning...

deer11.jpg

Deer3.jpg

Wow, some really great shots from everyone! Paul, your photos are fanning the flames of my desire to move the the P.N.W. sigh...just a few more years in Texas and then I'm out!

here are my contributions:

Marfa Texas, Chinati foundation -

2942351937_e5363fe69f.jpg

Marfa Texas, M.B.C -

2943193932_4e1bf79c73.jpg

Ft. Davis Texas, McDonald Observatory -

2943172594_d47f82d1f9.jpg

Barcelona Spain, Sagrada Familia -

2942630134_33e046ae19_o.jpg

Barcelona Spain, Gothic Cathedral (?) -

2941716697_b2f7c219d8.jpg

Monterrey Mexico, St. Angelica -

2941630479_46b227c18c.jpg

Austin Texas, Black Panda @ BeerLand

2787597230_8df86f32a2.jpg

Tucson Arizona, Architect Rick Joy's Studio

2462325616_3bcbfce792.jpg

I try to avoid any kind of post processing and just let the camera and my eye do what they need to do, although there are some photos I have that could really be improved with a bit of computer work. Camera is a Canon XTi, kit lens and then a 50mm 1:1.8 soon to add a 10-22 and a 35mm 1:1.2 (except in Mexico and Barcelona, taken with Canon A610 IIRC)