HybridZ

Fabing up a 3" side exhaust for datsun - anyone forsee any issues i may have?

icapture

So the motor (SR20DET) is installed - thanks for Mckinney for the Motor mounts - and now it is time to build an exhaust. I decided on running a 3" straight pipe and am planning on having it come out before the rear wheel (left side). I am not sure if anyone has done this before, but can anyone here see any issues I may run into when building the exhaust? Also, can anyone think of any con's reguarding running a side exhaust (apart from the noise and black soot on side of car.)

Im doing this for a couple reasons:

1. Side exhausts are mean looking

2. I want to run a 3" straight pipe

3. I dont care to run it under or over the rear suspension

4. I like to play with my welder

Thanks all,

I will photo document the event and be sure to post them up for your viewing pleasure.

heat would be a thought. I know in the new vipers that run side exhuast the heat is felt in the cabin pretty noticably... not sure on your pipe placement but the datsuns don't exactly keep heat out well to begin with lol

I am not sure if anyone has done this before, but can anyone here see any issues I may run into when building the exhaust? Also, can anyone think of any con's reguarding running a side exhaust (apart from the noise and black soot on side of car.)

You mean something like the attached? This was a V8 car with dual side pipes. It was a lot louder in the car but much cooler than with the exhaust down the tunnel. You have one of two choices to keep your ground clearance, put it through the lower frame rail or go above the fame rail and poke through the inner fender.

Hmm, looks like attachments can only be 620x280 now. Here's the pic linked.

IMG_8775.JPG

One thing I've always worried about with side exhaust is the paint, especially if you have flares. I would think that the heat and soot from the side exhaust would kill the lifespan of the paint on any rear flares, or even the rubber on the rear tires. I know in '97 the Ford F150 had a side exhaust from the factory that would exit directly in front of the passenger rear tire...needless to say, that tire usually gets cracked/dry rotted much quicker than the rest.

I have been thinking about something like that with a v8 z, having the exhaust exit in front of the rear tires. One of the issues with the pipes coming out under the car is going to be ground clearance but could be corrected with oval tubing. But then you are looking at spending some money with mandrel bent oval tubing. You could run round exhaust until the exit and transition into oval which could be a cheaper alternative.

Burns Stainless great products and expensive

http://www.burnsstainless.com/OvalTubing/ovaltubing.html

Another site I just found

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-Oval-Tubing/Categories

I have been thinking about something like that with a v8 z, having the exhaust exit in front of the rear tires. One of the issues with the pipes coming out under the car is going to be ground clearance but could be corrected with oval tubing. But then you are looking at spending some money with mandrel bent oval tubing. You could run round exhaust until the exit and transition into oval which could be a cheaper alternative.

Burns Stainless great products and expensive

http://www.burnsstainless.com/OvalTubing/ovaltubing.html

Another site I just found

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-Oval-Tubing/Categories

OMG - $60/ft? I bought 10 ft of 3" and 5 ft of 2.5" ALL for $50. And that was from a muffler shop. I guess if my girlfriends cooch expelled $100 I could afford tubing like that.

But oval tubing is a good idea.

And this is more of what I was thinking (see attached) - something that pops out of the body/side of car. I can see what you guys mean by heat being an issue, but how much more hot can it get just by coming out the side. Your essentially reducing the amount of tubing.

OMG - $60/ft? I bought 10 ft of 3" and 5 ft of 2.5" ALL for $50. And that was from a muffler shop. I guess if my girlfriends cooch expelled $100 I could afford tubing like that.

Comparing the price of oval 304 stainless tubing with muffler shop round mild steel tubing or 500 series semi-stainless makes no sense.

Comparing the price of oval 304 stainless tubing with muffler shop round mild steel tubing or 500 series semi-stainless makes no sense.

I don't think you understood the point i was trying to make... my point was that no matter if your exhaust is made out of platinum or tubing for fencing posts it'll satisfy the same requirement no matter which you use.

Sidepipe_and_mounting_hardware_001_2_.jpg

Five years on this upgrade to my side pipes with no issues with heat, paint problems, soot, gas fumes or cracked rubber on the tires.

The main issue is ground clearence ( 4 1/2 in.). You need to be very careful with speed bumps , dips in the road, and entrances and exits on roadways.

LARRY

But then you are looking at spending some money with mandrel bent oval tubing. You could run round exhaust until the exit and transition into oval which could be a cheaper alternative.

Why not just make your own oval tubing? Split 2.5" tubing then weld it back together with flat sections in it.

I dont run ovals but here's my pics posted a couple days ago.

P10100303.JPG

P10100281.JPG

2008_0810MCAug10Race0078_sized.jpg

Cameron

I've been running 4" side exhaust with no problems at all. We did notch front fenders up about 4 1/2 ". The pipes fit very nice between bottom of the door and bottom of the rockers. Have no problems at all with ground clearence. Has not damaged paint, yes it's loud, heat is not an issue, can't say the same about leg burns but that only happens once. Don't have flairs so could'nt tell ya about that. Love the sound and the look!!

• 4 weeks later...