HybridZ
markrolston@mac.com

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

I'm surprised you didn't go with a composite door shell. Car looks good though. I like that it isn't too extreme looking, even though it is very extreme in every other way.

composite doors are an easy way to get killed on the track without a ton of engineering in the CF structure. That's not something I can do. The car has steel where it's most needed.

I'm kind of upset you're painting it, but more glad it's still alive! 

You're not the first to react that way. There's always the "you're painting over the carbon fiber??" reaction. 

So here's the logic: First, the CF work is ok, but we made no effort to ensure the weave ran consistently across the body. it's all over the place. And the molds have all kinds of small errors that reflect my original Z's body errors. It doesn't survive close inspection. It also seams against the few remaining steel elements like the doors and roof (safety!) And I wasn't into the idea of building some kind of raw naked-tech racer. 

The vision for the car is as a refined material and mechanical platform that reveals itself only upon close inspection. At first read it's just an old 1970s Z car, albeit shiny paint with flares. The magic will be in how all the materials and technology reveal themselves as you open the doors, lift the hood, etc. For example the hood is painted on the outside...relatively normal looking right?... but lift the hood and ...omfg... underneath is a custom chassis, motor, and naked carbon inner hood surface. 

I think it'll work.

I like your thought process and vision of  "it's just an old 1970s Z car, albeit shiny paint with flares" and all the surprise and magic under the deceivingly normal skin, it will definitely be a sleeper until messed with!  I'm really toying with the idea of leaving the exterior of mine just the way it is, faded stock butterscotch colored paint and white accents along the rockers with 240z script and then making sure the engine bay and interior is all new and glossy with an updated interior.  Why? sleeper, race car, camaro killer, etc...

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. All the hidden carbon wouldn't be anywhere near as affected by UV light on the resins. Painted with all the WOW still seen when you open her up sounds super cool to me!

I like your thought process and vision of  "it's just an old 1970s Z car, albeit shiny paint with flares" and all the surprise and magic under the deceivingly normal skin, it will definitely be a sleeper until messed with!  I'm really toying with the idea of leaving the exterior of mine just the way it is, faded stock butterscotch colored paint and white accents along the rockers with 240z script and then making sure the engine bay and interior is all new and glossy with an updated interior.  Why? sleeper, race car, camaro killer, etc...

You should definitely do this. Faded butterscotch just screams "old used sports car"

Mark, I'm with you on the idea. I've always been a huge fan of understated style.