HybridZ
jasper

The importance of proper grammer.

RTz    264

...(2) unflinching enforcement of the rules of English (such as in an internet forum, hint hint....) is ultimately futile and self-defeating.

I agree with you, at least in absolute terms. To be clear, no staff member expects perfection... simply effort. Effort to be 'legible'. If you have to re-read a post 3 times and you're still lost, or you can't read it once without reaching for the Mylanta, there is a problem. Nine times out of ten it's directly related to laziness and lack of respect for the group. That's where we get cranky. If you can't muster the effort to write a readable sentence, how on earth do you expect to rummage the effort it takes to build a car? Tony is correct... garbage begets garbage.

Gollum    23

I agree with you, at least in absolute terms. To be clear, no staff member expects perfection... simply effort. Effort to be 'legible'. If you have to re-read a post 3 times and you're still lost, or you can't read it once without reaching for the Mylanta, there is a problem. Nine times out of ten it's directly related to laziness and lack of respect for the group. That's where we get cranky. If you can't muster the effort to write a readable sentence, how on earth do you expect to rummage the effort it takes to build a car? Tony is correct... garbage begets garbage.

Yea, you know it's a serious lack of effort when someone born and raised in the USA can't form a sentence better than most of the FOREIGN members we have on the boards... In all seriousness, how are there people who speak English as a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th language, whom obviously don't have a firm grasp on our grammar, that can still be better understood than one born in this country?

RTz    264

In all seriousness, how are there people who speak English as a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th language, whom obviously don't have a firm grasp on our grammar, that can still be better understood than one born in this country?

I would say that foreigners do, in many cases, understand our grammar better. One of my closer friends is not native English. He could rip my grammar to pieces if he wished. It's a social problem, not a geography problem.

bradyzq    12

So, is your uncle trying to dismount from the horse, pleasure it, or kill it?

The most common example is the panda example.

Eats shoots and leaves.

or

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Edited by bradyzq

Dee    0

This has got to be the funniest example here! haha :lol:

And what about commas?

That whole scenario has to do with the comma!

Help your Uncle Jack, off a horse.

vs.

Help your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Also,

tumblr_kssbd0JZmo1qztw1do1_500.jpg

edit: Dang you for beating me Mario!

palladin    0

Help your Uncle Jack, off a horse........a comma is not proper there.

But I must commend you for bringing this up. When you look at some of the idiotic posts we read from people who cannot communicate simply because they did not pay attention in school. "...When am I going to use this?..."

Well, I don't know, but are you going to limit yourself so early in your life. I taught math. I got so tired of getting 9th graders who did not know their multiplication tables. As an additional bonus...we allow these people to vote. You should have to pass a test.

badjuju    2

1. My uncle runs a stud ranch, so this example doesn't necessarily work in all situations

2. No he doesn't, that was a joke

3. I care very much about grammar as well as the differences between words like "they're", "their" and "there" because language is a man-made invention we use to relay our ideas, and it's hard enough relaying our ideas using the rules of language correctly (consider how many miscommunications you've been a part of), so anything we can do to help reduce miscommunication, I'm fully behind.