HybridZ

Backbone Chassis

mutantZ

Came across this link today and was wondering what the limitations of this style of chassis? It seems like it would be more resistant to twist, but I am by no means an expert.

http://www.biokustoms.com/portfolio/custom-suspension/one-off-systems/datsun-521/

Sorry posted this in the wrong forum. Meant to post it in the chassis forum.

Edited by mutantZ

Triumph Spitfire for one had a backbone chassis, separate from the body back in those days. As John says side impact is a real problem, really it is more practical to build side impact protection into the structural design of a chassis so that protection does two jobs. Always a good thing.

I built a backbone chassis for my Z31. One of the main reasons for building it was to move the engine back and make it an integeral part of the chassis. The engine is set back about 4". The front and rear are Jaguar, It's really light, and extremly stiff. there are some changes I"d make if I were to do it again, but nothing major.

post-249-034192800 1327715144_thumb.jpgpost-249-031146300 1327714838_thumb.jpg

We talked about his a few years ago. I was thinking along the lines of not a full backbone chassis but more like the top half of one tied into the existing body. I was looking for ways to make the zed stiffer fron the front strut mounts to the rear strut mounts with out having an intrusive cage. In the end I desided I wanted to targa the car so I needed a cage anyway.

Other cars with backbones....Dodge viper, most lotus's and Marcos..

Cheers,

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

One possibility is to run bracing-tubes along the transmission tunnel. Triangulated bracing would be welded in between the front strut towers and the firewall (piercing the firewall), then continue along the transmission tunnel, and then kick up again to meet the bracing connecting the rear strut towers.

• 1 month later...