HybridZ

How awesome is your wife?

Gollum

So I've been married a bit over a year and a half now, and she did something today that deserves car guy recognition. Let me first state that the only time in the last 4 years I talked about selling my S30, she was the one who ferociously talked me out of it.

About twice a week or so lately, I've had to jump start my 280ZX in the morning. The battery just isn't up to the cold mornings(30-40 degree nights, oh my!). Combine that with an engine that's low on compression anyways, you have a recipe for a reoccurring dead battery. I could hook up to a different car's battery without starting their car and the engine would crank over just that 10-20% fast and the engine would fire right up instead of hesitation after hesitation. But that's a new battery, which would run at least $75 from a local auto parts store, and frankly I just wasn't getting around to it as it's always hard to be motivated to throw money into a car you got for free.

Well, the other day, after a long day of work I go out to my car to head home and on my seat is a brand new bottle of Fast Orange hand cleaner (i've been low/out for months now) and a receipt. Written on the receipt in pen is "Merry Christmas! What now ******?!" I get in the car and review the receipt and see that there's a $90 battery on there + core charge and core refund.

Did I mention my wife is 7.5 months pregnant?

So my pregnant wife took the time out of her day to tear into my car, take the battery to the store (she brought a friend to carry it considering her state), bought the new one, installed it, and continued on her merry way. She even installed the fuzzy little terminal rings, which I would have never bothered with.

Now if only I could have gotten a pic of her doing that barefoot in the garage...

Okay okay, so lets here some awesome stories about YOUR wife supporting your car hobby or just general car-awesomeness.

NOW is going to have you arrested for spousal abuse.

Take your wife and run someplace warm and hide till sanity comes to the feminist establishment (despite the independence and fortitude displayed by wifey-poo!)

Mine changed the clutch cable on the Suzuki Jeep after classes using only a needle-nosed vice grips. Twice...

They're like that when young.

She gave me the z, is financing the rebuild, and is trading massages to a professional painters wife for the paint job this summer. She is a masseuse

So what on earth do YOU bring to the table in that relationship? Lemme guess, you're a gigolo right? You at least cook or something right? biggrin.gif

My wife was dead set against me selling the '73 240 I had that was already set up for autox, but I just couldn't turn down the offer. She has since been nothing but supportive of my purchase of a solid well running, WITH working a/c '28 280 with minimal miles, AND me tearing the whole thing apart ditching the a/c gutting the interior and making a v8 autox car. She even supports the paint job if it is blue with white lemans stripes.

Well my wife can't rebuild cars but she can talk the talk without her eyes rolling back in her head, unlike most other women I know.

She has been supportive of the many and varied car projects throughout our 40+ years of marriage. We have owned over 70 vehicles so it has been a long road. A while back she got sick and ended up in a wheelchair. She still wanted me to race and have hot cars even though she couldn't ride in them. She took her confinement with more grace than I believe I could ever muster. After 6 chair bound years she can once again walk a bit but every day is a struggle for her. She pushed me to build an autox car and go to Nats where I took 8th in SM last year.... on her birthday. She's a pretty good gal and I'm gonna keep her.

Hope you guys can find one of your own. Having another half makes a whole.

They're like that when young.

LOL! Yep, tell me about it! I remember those days very well.

Tomorrow will be 19 years for me and my bride. She is a definite keeper.

I guess the best attribute is she just leaves me alone. Doesn't complain much when I run to the JY or bring another car home. Granted, any money spent is money I've earned outside of my normal 9-5.

My wife encouraged me to just ship my cars over from Oz, then when I couldn't get it together and I was sad not having one, she found the 280Z on craigslist that I ended up buying.

She then took care of car insurance, registration for 3 years while the car sat on axle stands and I ever-so-slowly did the suspension.

She asked her grandma on my behalf to let me store the car and all my crap when we moved, and she didn't strangle me when she came back from holidays and found I'd brought the zed to our house, and broken it, and it was sitting in the middle of the driveway. Oh and she agreed when I said while it was broken I wanted to do the VK56 conversion.. :D

Dave

My wife "stole" my FFR Cobra twice....first time ran out of gas, second time earned an awsome burn on her left calf from the side pipe while getting out of the car. Vindictive car ha-ha. Too bad I sold the cobra to get the Scarab, which she would NEVER touch!

Ahhh women and cars, they either "get it" or they don't, guess it depends on the car too ha-ha.

Sounds like you got a keeper there though. Have fun changing those diapers! ;)