HybridZ

Datsun roadster...Is it worth it?

Perfect240z

Talking to a guy right now about his roadster he has for sale for 1900 bucks. Says it runs and just needs a paint job. I wanted to get a miata but this is just so much cooler, but should i take the plunge and get it? I want to drive it As a second commuter for now.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the car isn't rusty 1900 for a runner doesn't sound too bad. Since you're in Cali I'll assume it isn't too badly rotted.

As a commuter you're gonna be making some compromises as compared to a Miata. If I recall correctly, the tops on those are more emergency tops rather than something to be used everyday. I'm sure they're pretty reliable, but the difficulty in getting replacement parts makes them a bit less suited to commuting duty.

I'm a little biased as I love my little Miata.

Well I love them both as a car ofcourse, miatas would be the better deal as to have a commuter and have parts and engines available. But my wife likes the roadster so much better and I could always do a swap. I'll have to take a look at the rust if I go see it.

Well I love them both as a car of course, miatas would be the better deal as to have a commuter and have parts and engines available. But my wife likes the roadster so much better and I could always do a swap. I'll have to take a look at the rust if I go see it.

Have the best of both worlds: Buy both, cut the body off the Miata and graft the Datsun Roadster body on the Mazda chassis. The wheelbase is almost exact. The rear track is the biggest issue. You'll have to add 4" flares on the rear.

:blink:

What are you laughing at? This is Hybridz, right?

Plus, register it as the Datsun and never have to worry about smogging it!

Yes, I have been thinking of this.

Edited by Dan Juday

I've been mentally toying with a Datsun roadster with a 3800 Supercharged V6 out of a Bonneville SC. I just don't like how the bodywork on that car has the front tires hanging way out, while the rears are so nicely tucked into these beautiful 50s style fenders. I've wondered about some sort of staggered back spacing to correct the goofy way the front wheels always look. Early miatas were the same way, except backwards, with the back wheels haning out.

1. Hard to find parts, I think some have pushrod motors, rust, leaf springs.

2. Ubiquitous parts, SLA suspension, weak motors.

I've seen lots of roadsters done up and I think they're really cool for someone else to own and me to drool over, but I'd much rather own the Miata. If the stock motor gets boring, there are options like turbo or Monster or LSx swaps.

Edited by JMortensen

Please do no call it a roadster. Roadsters have no side windows, like the old TR3 had side curtains. It is really a convertible coupe. I have some books from around 1920 that gives this description.

Have fun with the new project.

I was sent a small pic and it looks really good(looks can e deceiving). Also it looks like it has a hard top with it. Its the 2000 roadster so it should have the 5 speed and the bigger of the 4cyl motors. I may actually buy this. If anything did happen and my regular commuter car is finally fixed I would def go for a sr swap. Or I can clean I up and sell it for a bit more in the end.

This car came to one of the NYZCC meets. 400hp SR20 plus a nitrous setup he had never used. 205 tires and stock brakes. He said he had traction problems in 4th. Scary stuff.

Because he is a dumbass running street 205 tires. There is no sense in that much power if you can't put it to the ground.

If this guy emails me back I'm going to buy it as long as everything works. A little rust doesn't scare me. I'll think of it as a top gear challenge with Jeremy, James and Richard going to work and going home. Looking good in my car even if I have a break down haha! Yes!!

What year/model is the Roadster (yes SHO-Z, I called it a roadster, I have owned one for over 30 years, and that is what we call them here!)

I assume it is a 1600 for that money (but who knows). If a 1600, a mod I have always wanted to do was stroke it to 2000 (either with a U20 crank with the snout cut off, or nissan made a 2000 version of the R16 for industrial applications aka forklifts), fit the 46mm su's from a 2000, and have a bit of a sleeper. This is not re-inventing the wheel, it has been done many times, the Aussies seem to do it often.

The SR20 is also a great option. My buddies run an NA SR20 from a Sentra in a Chumpcar 67 roadster, and it works really well. It was quite a bit of work, buy my buddy is a master fabricator, and lives for this kind of thing. The SR20 is set in longitudinally, and mated to an L-series 5-speed (more seat of the pants engineering) Another buddy here in Spokane runs one with a VG30, fun car (also built by same guy who put the SR20 in the Chumpcar).

Anyway, would like to hear more about the car, and some picture Alex. Obviously I have a very fond spot in my heart for Datsun ROADSTERS (sorry again, SHO-Z). Here is a picture of my car (the black one) with the Chumpcar at the Spokane 24 hour race last summer, the chumpcar's name is Bob, like racecar, same forwards and backwards! (the roadster won by 9 laps after starting with an 11 lap penalty)

post-20643-056405300 1331398765_thumb.jpg