HybridZ

freckin intake / exhaust manifold heatshield

ok so the heatshield for the intake/exhaust manifold is the only thing holding me back from getting my header exhaust leak fixed, ive spent over 30 hours total trying to get this thing off and ive read every post about it. heres the deal,

the guy who sold me the car about 7-8 months back tried to get the header leak fixed but couldnt because the heatshield was a problem, he went ahead and stripped ALL 3 BOLTS for me, the hard ones to get to , the bolts right inbetween the intake and exhaust manifolds, the ones that you have to feel for to get.

ive tried tightening them til they snap -nothin..

ive tried cutting them with a long blade and a reciprocating saw at a nasty angle - nothin

ive tried getting real with it by putting a long pipe in there and trying to beat the f out of it with a hammer to try and break the aluminum - nothing

ive treid prying it to try and rip the aluminum - nothing

ive bought a nice dremel kit with a long "flex shaft" attachment, ive proceeded to just chipping away at the top of the bolts but after 5 hours straight ive only gotten like the top half of the easiest bolt to get to.

what do i do !????

i want to get a plasma torch and just take my chances but i know it will instantly eat thru the intake manifold,

ive got a ton of tools and nothing is helping me, its getting frustrating, any input would be much appreciated,

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
No profanity on HZ

Same thing hppened to me on my DD. I ended up using doubled up red cutting discs to grind the bolts down, rather than cutting them off. I wasn't worried about leaving any part of the bolt in the manifold because I was planning on shaving the intake at the same time that I swapped the intake/exhaust gasket. Now I can see the bolts as plain as day!

On mine, i left the shield on, used a long extension (one that can reach from the manifold mounting surface to the empty space between the intake manifold and strut tower, i happened to use a combination of shorter ones), and carefully felt out each bolt. After the first time it was much easier, and just in case i removed the heat shield and only used the two outermost accessible bolts to reattach it, before coming across some header wrap and leaving it off altogether. Rtv on the unused bolt holes to counter rattling.

Removing the intake with the shield on is a pita. Removing the shield with the intake on is a pita. It's a crap world sometimes. I've been able to pull manifolds with the shield on, it just takes patience and a good selection of short/deep sockets with various extensions. Once you have the intake off you can just grind the bolt head down, or use a cut off wheel, or just chuck the thing into a good hot fire and watch it melt like the little pain in the butt it is...

...anyways. Have patience, you will overcome.

I did a pretty similar thing with my heat shield. I couldn't get the bolts off for the intake shield so I focused on getting the intake off. With a short and long extension, a 12mm socket, and a few cases I used one of those universal/swivel socket extensions or whatever you want to call them. I was able to get to all the bolts and remove the intake/exhaust manifolds.

So are you trying to take the heat shield off or the manifold? I assume you don't have the intake manifold off.

im still trying to get the heatshield off so i can get intake manifold off so i can can take the exhaust manifold off and replace them and the blown gasket.

Battery power impact gun

ya, my bolts are all stripped, theres no way a impact driver would fit inbetween the intake and exhaust manifolds, the 3 heatshield bolts directly under the intake manifold .anyone have any ideas? i almost wanna take it to someone, what can i use to break/cut/remove those bolts so i can fix this?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought those,the bolts and ground down too much and theres not enough room for a ratchet. I have to take this thing off with the heat shield or grind it all the way down.

any more tool suggestions for takig off the top exhaust manifold bolts with the heat shield still on??

I bought those,the bolts and ground down too much and theres not enough room for a ratchet. I have to take this thing off with the heat shield or grind it all the way down.

any more tool suggestions for takig off the top exhaust manifold bolts with the heat shield still on??