HybridZ

What to do with 240 engine with P30 cracked block?

jerzee

Long story short... Looking for opinions on what to do with a P30 engine that was recently rebuilt but discovered to have a cracked block. I am replacing the engine with F54 from '83zx with SU's. Before I trash the whole 240 engine i was wondering if there was any reason to keep or use any internals from the P30 block or E88 head? The PO said it had new pistons/rods and the head was rebuilt. Don't want to throw something away that I could use down the road but also don't want to store an entire engine in my garage.

Ive seen one done out of an L6 nissan, but couldnt find the pic...anyway, heres what i would do :)

AAAHHHH!

Is that a LandRover V8! Nightmares.... So many nightmares! replace head gaskets... no, no more!

My personal fav is to use it as a wine rack... which has become very popular with the BMW enthusiasts as well!

AAAHHHH!

Is that a LandRover V8! Nightmares.... So many nightmares! replace head gaskets... no, no more!

My personal fav is to use it as a wine rack... which has become very popular with the BMW enthusiasts as well!

Holy crap that's a heavy wine rack for 6 bottles!

I've always been partial to the tables.

To summarize - cracked L6 blocks are common.  A crack between 2 and 3 is not common.  Someone "rebuilt" the engine without noticing the crack (doesn't it project all the way through to the interior of the cylinder?).

What happens if he just runs it as-is?  Catastrophe or a slow death?