HybridZ

best spark plugs for a L motor

260ZRED

Yap, I'm all about NGK plugs. And have had good result with them.

BTW, do you get (more like can I) discount on Amsoil stuff Doug? I'll be intested if you can get me a discount. :D I would like to try the 10w-30 synthetic in my turbo engine. I also like to know the part # for an oil filter to go with that synthetic oil. Something equevilant of Motorcraft FL1

Here's an old BSP/IT racer trick: Use a projector tip spark plug and index it using the Moroso washer kit part # 71910. I ran Champion 412 RC12LYC plugs and they gave my shaved N42 head, dished piston combustion chambers a .1 compression ratio increase.

The newer NGK platinum plug from Nissan works very well in my turbo application bcpr6es-11 (bcpr6vx-11 for the platinum plug).

I was thinking of going with a size colder on the plugs to see what that will do for my boost on pump gas. I just may be able to squeeze some more boost out of the engine with acolder plug. :D

NGK ack! I have used NGK 2 times. The first time, 2 plugs broke and ended up in the cylinder and i had to change the head gasket to get the peices out. The second time, the spark was jumping from the boot to the outside of the block because the little tip would vibrate loose on the threads and the spark wire would always wiggle off.

Ive started using Denso, and they are the best for me so far! They sell them in most parts stores.

Guest HIGHRPM

Everyone recommends what has worked for them and dishes the rest. After 31 years of racing, everything from motocross to stockcar to drag racing. I've tried all the brands, under similar conditions, and I have to say without a doubt that NGK was the BEST, and believe it or not, Autolite came in second best. This was based solely on performance and consistantcy based on heat ranges and by plug breakdown under load. Champion, AC, Bosch, Prestolite and even Slpitfire, tended to show Uneven heat ranges and premature breakdown.I found that with the last mentioned plugs, we were changing plugs quit often because of reliability, but with NGK and then Auotlite plugs, we changed them mainly for the sake of having something Fresh installed, also because they were sponcered and we had to make sure we used our complete inventory in the season, which gave us a fresh inventory for the next race seasn. All the plugs out there are very good, some just give more confidence than others. 2thumbs.gif

I have read articles saying plugs are made out of different materials. I remember them saying Autolites use harder material and thus live longer. Champions are softer and lose metal quicker. But some people feel plugs ignite the mixture when small bits of the plug electrode vaporize. They theorized plugs are a lot like tires. Use a softer plug for better performance but shorter life.

But I did try Bosch Platniums in my stock 240 and the engine did not like them. Have run NGK's ever since.

Well i didn't particularly like the two sets of NGK plugs,not saying they were bad, just didn't like them. I use bosch P-4's now, before that i tried some Splitfires-hated em'... but they sparked no matter how dirty they were. But doesn't it make sense to use a bosch plug on a bosch fuel injection system? just my thought. But then again just about every sensor i've replaced i've replaced it with Bosch. german technology on a jap car.

Originally posted by Nismo280zEd:

Well i didn't particularly like the two sets of NGK plugs,not saying they were bad, just didn't like them. I use bosch P-4's now, before that i tried some Splitfires-hated em'... but they sparked no matter how dirty they were. But doesn't it make sense to use a bosch plug on a bosch fuel injection system? just my thought. But then again just about every sensor i've replaced i've replaced it with Bosch. german technology on a jap car.

No, bosch plugs on bosch EFI doesn't really matters. What matters it how low resistant the plugs are and how long the spark can ark. IMO

I too have to endorse the NGK. However, the first 240Z I purchased used in 1975 had a set of ESSO or EXXON plugs that were much superior to anything else I have ever used. I would put in new Champions, AC, etc... only to end up sandblasting the ESSO plugs and putting them back in. They were better worn out than anything else new. Anyone know who was the manufacturer of these?