HybridZ

Do I Need Bump Stops With New KYB's?

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, adivin said:

Are bump stops needed in the rear?  I also have the Eibach springs but with the new Koni struts.

You really should.  Sometimes the Eibach springs can make the rear a little lower than the front, they did on my car so I had to install 1/2" spacers on top of the springs to level out the car.

11 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

You really should.  Sometimes the Eibach springs can make the rear a little lower than the front, they did on my car so I had to install 1/2" spacers on top of the springs to level out the car.

I had the rear suspension ready to go in today, but forgot about bump stops...damn.  Do you know exactly which Koni bump stops to get and a good source to purchase?

On 5/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, JMortensen said:

^^^ This. The bump stops you see in the Energy Suspension bushing kit are crap. 

Are they really? I have them in a 280Z but I don't think I've ever had the suspension compress enough to hit them. Just curios, what do you have to do to hit a bump stop on one of these cars? I've got Eibach lowering springs but its been a very smooth ride.

22 hours ago, Whitley_280z_2+2 said:

Are they really? I have them in a 280Z but I don't think I've ever had the suspension compress enough to hit them. Just curios, what do you have to do to hit a bump stop on one of these cars? I've got Eibach lowering springs but its been a very smooth ride.

Just curious....how do you know that you've never hit the bump stops?  Have you checked your suspension compression to verify?  

The reason that PU bump stops are not recommended is that they are exponentially higher in effective spring rate than any spring you'd run on the car.

I think the Eibachs are only 180'ish lb/in, so it wouldn't take much to push the suspension through its full range of motion.  What shocks are you running with the Eibachs?

I haven’t actually measured anything aside from jacking up the control arm and making sure the strut didn’t hit the stops right away. I just say that because I’ve never felt any harsh change in the suspension movement. The roads around me in NC are pretty good thankfully. I’ve got KYB shocks and I think that 2+2 Eibachs are actually a little stronger. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I posted a thread, but fishing for some feedback before I buy. I have a 280z and looking at the Eibachs with KYBs but MSA doesn't recommend them. Looking at what you might be running Whitley and how you like them (assuming you have the commonly available Eibach/KYBs out there). My thread is top if you want to see that. 

My thread for more info: 

42 minutes ago, cruceno21 said:

I posted a thread, but fishing for some feedback before I buy. I have a 280z and looking at the Eibachs with KYBs but MSA doesn't recommend them. Looking at what you might be running Whitley and how you like them (assuming you have the commonly available Eibach/KYBs out there). My thread is top if you want to see that. 

If you haven't already done so, I would read all the threads from people complaining about uneven (or unsatisfactory) ride height results after installing the Eibachs.  Also, be mindful of the fact that the Eibachs are a progressive spring.  Lots of folks (myself included) are not big fans of any progressive-rate spring.

In addition to the Konis, as suggested by @JMortensen, you may want to consider Bilsteins as well.  Old part number: P30-0032; new P.N. 34-184530.  

4 hours ago, JMortensen said:

Don't post in the FAQ section. Nobody can reply.

KYBs are comfort shocks. Konis are better for your uses.

I didn't realize I posted in the wrong spot. How do I fix that? Or delete the post and put it elsewhere? If I go back to the page to make a new post it shows the same as I did before, so not sure how I made it an FAQ. 

35 minutes ago, cruceno21 said:

I didn't realize I posted in the wrong spot. How do I fix that? Or delete the post and put it elsewhere? If I go back to the page to make a new post it shows the same as I did before, so not sure how I made it an FAQ. 

You posted your original question in the "FAQs" section.  I don't know if you (i.e. the author) can delete that post; but if not, an Admin will need to do so.  If you want to have a normal discussion thread, just repost your original post in this sub-forum. 

If you're looking at HybridZ on your phone, the forum structure may not be obvious as to the different sub-forums....but it's immediately apparent if you check it out on your laptop or PC.