HybridZ

Triple Blowthrough Turbo

Dat73z

To get a better idea of what modifications may be required, I compared 2 spare mid/short runner manifolds I have. 

The vintage Mikuni which is the shortest to my knowledge may require modifying runners 3 and/or 4. The vintage FET is mid length and may have just enough rise and run to clear, but I'll need to see if it puts the surge tank into the shock tower. 

20230802_192320.jpg

20230802_193905.jpg

More mockup work on the #s matching spare motor. 

From past measuring I know the Harada/Kameari, Nissan Comp, etc. long runner manifolds put the v2 surge tank into the s30 shock tower so those were non starters. 

The Mikuni short runner will definitely need to be modified to clear the PTZ manifold for runners 3&4. 

The FET mid runner clears all but may be right at the shock tower. 

Also exploring a custom CNC manifold option. 

This is probably super niche but maybe someone can find this useful, I know I could've used this info yrs ago

20230804_145223.jpg

20230804_145230.jpg

20230804_151453.jpg

20230804_151457.jpg

20230804_151544.jpg

20230804_151647.jpg

20230804_151739.jpg

More mockup work with the new turbo setup. 

It would be pretty sweet if I can run this FET manifold, the clearances are actually pretty good. Perhaps if I machined a bit off the DCOE flange side. The downside to this manifold is it's pretty thin walled, so porting for 50s may require welding. 

Either way I can already see I will need to cut and weld the inlet on the new G series like I did with the old hybrid turbo. 

20230805_094602.jpg

20230805_094616.jpg

20230805_094632.jpg

20230805_094729.jpg

On 8/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, Zetsaz said:

Clearance issues aside this is looking pretty sweet. You're one of the first I've seen running the newer G series turbo on an L engine, much less one with carbs.

Yeah I'm stoked to get this setup together! I suspect the 0.83ar will spool like the old .63 and provide a lot more. 

8 hours ago, DuffyMahoney said:

Fet V1 for the win! Still waiting on mine

The v1 is really awesome. I wish there was a vintage option that checks all the boxes, but after some news today I may go with a custom billet cnc option. Mikuni length with proper clearance and porting for 50s. 

14 hours ago, Dat73z said:

Yeah I'm stoked to get this setup together! I suspect the 0.83ar will spool like the old .63 and provide a lot more. 

The v1 is really awesome. I wish there was a vintage option that checks all the boxes, but after some news today I may go with a custom billet cnc option. Mikuni length with proper clearance and porting for 50s. 

Will you keep the Mikuni step up?  

I'm looking forward to your feedback on the performance of the G series turbo. I am considering exact same one for my setup [edit: actually it is the G30-660 that I'm considering]. Looking at the compressor map it looks to be a great turbo for a decent flowing 3 liter L6. 

Edited by rossman

Cool! I was looking at the G-25. It appears to have a remarkable 80% efficiency on the map I plotted on their website. I sent my protuners turbo manifold and down-pipe off to Swain along with my NA header for coating. This is for the street car, after the race car is finally running. 

@DuffyMahoney yes the step up will be necessary to clear the turbo and manifold. I assume the HKS v2 surge tank was designed with the s130 in mind as fitting everything into the s30 poses some interesting challenges. Likely the cnc option would be between the Mik short runner and the FET mid, combining the best of both. 

@rossman after playing with boost adviser and staring at compressor maps for a while I narrowed it down to the g30-660 or 770. After discussing with ATP turbo I went with the g30-660, as it sounded like a good match we'll see how it goes. 

@AydinZ71 I looked at the g25 too but it seemed too small for the 3.2 8.5:1, perhaps it would be a good match for the l28ET. Post some pictures of the swain coating when you get it back, that sounds pretty sweet. I was considering that this time around but ATP inconel is on the table again as well. 

Edited by Dat73z

Ah! Sorry, had not been following your build close enough 🤦🏽‍♂️. Ya G25 seems too small. I’d Go a size up, and it looks like max efficiency only drops by a handful of percentage points. 

Lead time is currently 10weeks, so il snap some pics when it comes back. Just FYI, the coating looks good initially but turns ugly pretty quickly with repeated heat cycling (just like the real stuff applied on nasa heat shields). I’m going to call them tomorrow and ask if it can be too-coated with high temp paint just to provide a consistent surface color. The Swain ends up with varying shades of yellow and light brown after moderate use. 

@Sean 83ZXT for my setup, I wanted the highest response setup with a powerband between 3-7k running at 15-21psi (OER/SK carbs can do ~16psi constant and 21+psi intermittent). I had also looked at the g30-770 but the 660 won out for my goals. 

ATP advised that the newer aero on the G series turbine wheel will flow enough to keep backpressure in check on the large 3.2L up to 7K without choking up but the key is to mate it to the .83 A/R housing. Also noted that on the g30 the 660 comp wheel is the most boost responsive configuration that is capable of providing the right amount of airflow
for those required boost levels. 

• 1 month later...

Parts are still slowly trickling in. My ZCG Stoptech brake kit came in so I can hopefully finish reassembly of the new suspension and brakes.

The first test print for the cnc 50 manifold came in as well. I'm really excited for this manifold project, I think it'll be the perfect high clearance dcoe manifold. Fortunately I have both a spare engine on the stand and also a blowthrough s30 to test real world clearances on 😁

20230913_174012.jpg

20230914_145157.jpg

20230914_145201.jpg

Have a lot going on and I realize my workspace is an absolute mess. It's been a while and there are parts and tools scattered about so I think the strategy here is to clean everything up this next couple of weeks while doing these sidebar projects to get the car sorted. 

20230917_143324.jpg

Thanks @Zetsaz yeah it's been a long time coming, I really liked the feel driving the ZCG shop car over the t3 BBK setup personally with both the 1" and 15/16 MCs I had before. I'm downsizing everything but I think it'll be the right balance for my needs. 

More parts came in today including the t3 rack and high clearance tie rod ends. I owe a bunch of people measurements at this point to keep things moving forward on some design and machining work so that will be the priority this weekend. 

20230922_153201.jpg

That's my thought. General feedback I've gotten from people who actually drive their cars a lot is that the T3 or really anything by Wilwood is mostly just fine. I'm at a point where I'm okay spending a bit more for great instead of still paying a lot and potentially ending up dissatisfied.

You're gonna be really happy with the T3 steering rack though. Best thing I've done so far for driveability.

Edited by Zetsaz

Follow-up from a few months ago. Swain confirmed their coating can, and is often top-coated. I bought some cerakote “glacier gold” and will spray the headers sometime in the coming week when the paint gets here. 

header is back, but leaving it in the box to keep it clean until I get it painted.