HybridZ

Headlight upgrade

One of my headlights went out and I figure its a good time to go ahead and upgrade them. I'm looking at these HELLA headlights and these HIDs. Does anyone know if I'd need to upgrade the headlight harness with either of these? Has anyone had any experience with these? 

Screenshot (159).png

Screenshot (160).png

If you go with LED headlights get the best set you can afford and make sure they don't blind the on coming drivers, I have the H4 Halogens from Hella and a complete wiring harness upgrade, without new larger wires you won't see much improvement.

The wiring harness upgrade that sells on MotorSport Auto are made by Zsonthebrain, this thread should give you all the info,

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/32389-best-new-headlights-for-a-stock-240z/

Edited by grannyknot

Jeeps have made it easier to find a 7 inch dot legal led headlight.  I'm not sure how that hid kit does high/low, I would guess it does not focus light very well.  Many states have banned hid conversions due to the poor light focusing unless they are in a properly designed housing.

6 hours ago, seiferzero said:

It seems to me looking at the picture of the HID kit it seems to include a new "harness." Or wiring that does the same thing as installing an upgrade harness. Does anyone know if I'm wrong on that?

Looks like it.  OEM switch drives relay switching circuit.  Relay supplies high current to lights.  You just have to make sure that it will work with what's available on your OEM harness/multi-function switch.  On the '71 240Z the power is source from the fuse panel and the multi-function switch provides the ground for either the high or low beam.  If that's the case with the 75 280Z, then the relay circuit that you're connecting to the multi-function switch needs to be ground activated.  

I think you should be considering LED upgrades for your headlights rather than HID bulbs, the main reason being that your power consumption will be very considerably less with the LEDs. Your electrical system will appreciate the load reduction greatly. Definitely go with Dave's harness upgrades with relays and that will complete your upgrade. 

After startup hid's have lower power consumption than halogens.  Full led assembly replacements will give you better visibility & be dot legal vs a h4 conversion.  A good bixenon projector will give similar visibility to a good led headlight, but the led will be easier to install in the factory bucket.

Go to www.dapperlighting.com and look at the HID and LED products they offer.  I have a set of their HID lights I bought several years ago and, other than a failed relay, I've been happy with them.  They are very responsive to customer issues and will work with you until the issue is resolved.  The HID lights definitely need to go through a relay.  You may not need that for LED headlights but relays are always a good idea to avoid running power vs control current through your column switch.