HybridZ

Oil Filter Study - Disturbing - Lets Hear Some Feedback

Hi Gang - I came across this website (actually brought to my attention). It is a study of all the major oil filter brands compared. And the conclusion shows that Fram filters are junk, and close behind Fram is Champion. The winners are Purolator, Wix and AC Delco.

I have always sworn by Fram.....

So what do you all think?

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Regards - Yasin

This one was posted YEARS Ago somewhere. Cut open ANY fram filter and you will see that these guys are RIGHT! I switched from fram filters back in 1997 and I noticed less blow by, less oil consumption, and cleaner oil... I now use Purolator, AC Delco, And Motorsport filters ... The Purolator stuff is used on the Honda, and in a pinch will go on the GMC and Ford, and I use the A'c Delco on the GMC as a 1st choice, and the Ford Motorsport filters on the Mustang... WIX filters are nice... And I also use CANTON filters on the 383 Stroker.

So why is it that FRAM is the best SELLING filter??? Marketing. Can you say John Force? FRAM has a HUGE marketing machine. Everyone I know uses them, and all of them swear I'm crazy... Yet I have two vehicles with over 250,000 miles on them and a Mustang that has 133,000 on it and I drive all of them HARD! I don't use Fram.

Mike

Guest Your Car is Slow

Ive alreays used OEM filter replacement on the bike...and purolators for the cars.

Im sure this debate can get just as argumentative as "which oil is best and which weight" :)

Ive alreays used OEM filter replacement on the bike...and purolators for the cars.

Im sure this debate can get just as argumentative as "which oil is best and which weight" :)

The difference in the argument though, is you can take apart the oil filters and see the construction. I saw that link 3 years ago, and I've not bought a Fram filter since. The Purolators are not any more expensive - I use them for my Z and our Subaru.

Guest Your Car is Slow

I think the question is more of how often you change filters. I believe that all filters must meet a minimum requirement of .00x microns or whatever the heck the number is. Basically no filters will ever remove all of the contaminants from the oil.....but they all filter down to a certain size. Anything smaller than that will pass through but is said not to cause enough damage to matter (I guess the molecular chains in the oil are larger..I dunno...not my area of expertise).

Every filter ive cut open was basically a fiber filter element....surrounded by a metal casing with holes to allow oil to travel. then again ive never used or cut open a fram. Whats different?

Most motors bypass a significant amount of oil past the filter anyhow. I have two motors with 100k miles plus run mostly on Fram filters. I am notorious for buying the filter on sale... Most important aspect is probably frequency of change interval. Thinner oils also are filtered better than the higher pressure higher viscosity oils that get bypassed.

The Law's and the politicians who pass them are all set up to be enforced "AFTER THE FACT". Human nature is naturally errant to any law's dictated by man; shall any governing body think to dictate human nature? and yet all proceed as if this were so! And so any among us can do murder and it is of no consequence except before God and/or if we get caught by man! And so, murderers, Liars and Thieves are all honorable among themselves unless caught. Ah, then the shame of it! But this is the time for a show of bravery in the face of adversity is it not? And so it becomes time for a face of flint to be turned twoard all antagonists and Coinscience be damned! Ah yes! Such Son's have mothers who can truly be proud!

Uuuuuhhhhhhh... its just an oil filter. Go find the Prozac bottle... :-)

Most motors bypass a significant amount of oil past the filter anyhow. I have two motors with 100k miles plus run mostly on Fram filters. I am notorious for buying the filter on sale... Most important aspect is probably frequency of change interval. Thinner oils also are filtered better than the higher pressure higher viscosity oils that get bypassed.

The advice I've received is to remove the oil filter bypass valve in the block and bung the hole up, so that all oil goes through the filter. Not recommended for those who don't change the filter regularly, use heavy oil or who use high revs with a cold engine. :?

Guest Tht1KSguy

I was wondering how you were going to tie all that back to oil filters... That's the most thought out thread hijacking i've ever seen :)

Guest Tht1KSguy

BTW... my parents had a road vehicle for their business ('90 Lumina APV) that finally kicked the bucket at 345,000 using only Fram filters its whole life. My 2.0 Beretta was still going strong at 225k when i sold it... had recently replaced the head gasket there was literally zero lip in the cylinders. Just turned over 180k in my Cavalier, I get oil changes at Walmart b/c I don't have time to mess with it for the daily driver. They use Fram & the supercheap.. i mean supertech oil :) My thinking is regular oil changes are more important to the engine that good filtering. All of the small stuff is in suspension in the oil anyway.

I'm sure for the most part, the paper Frams work well. And I use the cheap crap oil too, because it'll be replaced with the filter. I just reach a discomfort zone with the paper Fram crap, where I don't know if that filter is going to fall apart - I'm not comfortable with that. Also, IMHO, the anti -drainback valve plays an important part in startup - if it doesn't do it's job, you could get more wear on your engine.

Guest toyotasupra17

what do u guys think about k&n oil filters? thats what i use.....what do u guys recomend for oil? i street race so it revs pretty hard

K&N filters are pretty good. Rpms don't hurt oil, heat and contaminates do. Street cars don't get their oil hot enough to worry about oil breaking down despite all the marketing stuff you see. Any oil should work fine on a street car if you change it every 3 or 5K miles.