HybridZ

Rant - Current use of language

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

This is my first rant here, so that should say something for the issue itself.

It seems that posts with profanity and use of the $ in place of the letter "s" and similar are becoming more and more common. I can see the occaisional use, but when someone basically is doing everything they can to include a collage of profanity in their post it gets pretty excessive. Granted most of what is being used now is probably not offensive to most people, but we need to keep in mind that the more that is accepted, the more that will be used, and that will allow things to spiral out of control. New users certainly arent going to use the same discretion as veterans.

Recently I even made a polite statement to another member indicating that they could have easily avoided the use of a certain word, and they replied by saying that they were sorry if using the word **** (and proceeded to restate the word) offended me.

Come on people, I dont think we need to be reminded that profanity doesnt make you look educated, isnt needed, and doesnt maintain the polite environment that we have here. At the rate things are going, it wont be long before this site turns into every other forum on the internet with street slang, profanity, and everything but what it is supposed to be.

Use your head and use your manners people! :twak:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my small world point of view, this is what I'd call the MTV syndrome. I see my 15 year old daughter listening to programs on MTV (I loved it in the '80s, hate it now) in which every other word is "beeped" out. When I try to explain my disagreement to such programing, she asks "what is wrong with it? No bad words are said actually said." I had to think on this point and realize that it's not what's said, but it's what's implied. And if what's implied offends others, then out of courtesy for others (which is still a virtue even in this day and time), we should try to avoid it.

Unfortunately, most members on this forum only have a single means of interaction with the other members, and this is solely through written communication. This single method leaves much to be desired and leaves a great deal of room, for both the sender and receiver, for misinterpretation. In short, let's review, proof read, and consider each post as being "my" one and only shot at showing you the best of who and what I am.

Guest smoov280zx

I agree that in a public forum that kind of language should be kept to a minimum, just for the fact that tons of different people view these messages. Some may be religious or just not want to hear that type of language when they come to check on their hobby.

Language doesnt offend me, it's just words to me. But the more profanity you sprinkle in your conversation, the more jeuvenille it sounds and it doesnt really help you credibility either.

Doesnt bother me, but it probably is a good idea to keep it clean like ya' mama said.

:D

Mitch

For obvious reasons I spend some time over on the LS1tech.com site and the folks there use a lot of $%^&*. I really don't find any positive side to it. As a matter of fact, I found myself thinking a couple days ago about how much I appreciate the guys on this forum and the restraint they show in that area.

Thanks to all for making this forum a pleasant place to read and post!

Guest Aaron

I agree whole heartedly. I don't want to see this place turn into what some of the other sites are. I am a religious person, but I do not get offended easily. With that said, most of the time on this forum, that kind of language is unnecessary to convey our thoughts.

When I try to explain my disagreement to such programing, she asks "what is wrong with it? ..."

I once heard a youth pastor give a truely great response to that question. He simply replied "What is right with it?" The teenager had no answer.

From “I have been Demoted!â€

There is some madness behind our methods. ;)

In the past there were a few "Hybridz Overlords/Guru's" that figured because they had made a lot of posts and become "Overlords" they actually ran the joint. Just because you make a lot of posts doesn't give you to any more right to be here than anyone else. (especially if those posts are non-technical in nature) I believe that the "Overlord" title is for Dan and Dan alone' date=' because last time I checked he was the only guy that owned this site.

Unfortunately once again the vocal minority causes changes that effect the entire Hybridz population.[/quote']

I think I now know why I lost my Guru status.

The guy used the word dick, as in don't be a dick. Hardly anything to get all worked up about.

We have a no ******* shit curse filter. (Guess what THAT is a translation of.) Maybe we should exand the dictionary if it is such a problem.

You can tell someone to F off with out using curse words. I know that forums and emails are notoriously bad for this, but IMO what has no place on this or any forum is being rude or confrontational with others. It's hard to determine that sometimes, and some people write in a way that others read as rude, when that is not the intention.

We all get our hackles up sometimes, and say or type things we shouldn't, but being a jerk is so much more unacceptable to me than a curse word. Maybe that's because I grew up listening to Carlin...

Jon

Guest goldraven
The guy used the word dick, as in don't be a dick. Hardly anything to get all worked up about.

Yes, that member was me, i was describing how i was not trying to be a dick to a cop for no reason. It is in the aux vs. dumb drunk white trash thread. where he was ranting about people complaining about parking in front of their house on a public street.

Let me start out by saying, im sorry i offended you nic. i would also like to add that there has to be some acceptance of some words. The word dick has entered the vernacular to the extent now that i feel it should get some le-way. I hate using the TV as an example because there is alot of stuff i dont think it should get away with, but saying dick on TV isnt bleeped out, i think for a good reason. for most people it isnt offensive. After this post i will refrain from using the word dick, so i do not offend you, but i also think you are complaining about something i did that really was nothing at all.

On the other hand, i totally agree with you nic, swearing on this forum is starting to show signs of spiraling downhill. I think that using $ for S's is just stupid, or saying funk instead of ****. implying it is the same as saying it to me.

A language filter would help the situation, however i dont think it will solve the situation. you will see more and more creative ways for newbies to get around it. I feel the admins on this site are solid enough to enforce the language thing by simply changing the words posted if they are overly offensive. Maybe a combination of both a filter and admins scanning the posts?

Once again, sorry you had to post a rant about this nic. I have no problem not using the word dick anymore so you do not get offended. but i feel some words should be tollerated a little more, dick is one of them.

Nick

From my small world point of view, this is what I'd call the MTV syndrome. I see my 15 year old daughter listening to programs on MTV (I loved it in the '80s, hate it now) in which every other word is "beeped" out. When I try to explain my disagreement to such programing, she asks "what is wrong with it? No bad words are said actually said."

Terry,

I've thought about this several times myself and here's the conclusion I came to.

When a word is "beeped" out it's in a certain context and my mind automatically fills it in. This is why I, just like you, find MTV and it's style of programming objectionable and frankly worthless. The same thing happens when we are reading posts and come to a F off phrase or $ in place of S.

I'm no prude and understand that we all have our days where we need to vent but I would much rather not have to wade through more "colorful" language than necessary, especially on a technical forum.

I also agree with what jmortensen had to say about being civil to each other. We aren't a bunch of 3 year olds that have to degenerate to name calling and temper tantrums and in my opinion anyone who exibits that kind of behavior here should be warned and then banned if they continue.

This site has an amazing amount of technical information and is a terrific resource that we should strive to protect from pollution with un-needed trash.

Just my $.02 worth, now I'll step down from my soap-box

Wheelman

I disagree.

Sometimes one needs to use choice profane words. Not excessively, but at some point there's no substitute. Sometimes they're used to voice frustration. To me, hybridz atmosphere is more like a bunch of guys standing around, drinking beer having involved conversations. At that point profane words like ass and dick become common vernacular, and everyone accepts them, in my opinion.

Sure, I try to limit profanity around certain people out of respect for their desires. This forum is very very mild compared to the other forums out there. There are no flame wars here based on opinionated differences and so forth.

But sometimes when you have to say "This guy was being a dick about the situation," it needs to be expressed as such to have the desired impact on the reading audience.

my 2 cents.

For once I agree with Alex :twisted:

HybridZ is like a big bunch of buddies standing around talking smak about cars. The only problem here is that the audience is much bigger (thanks to the internet/Global Village) and therefore, someone, at some point is bound to not be happy.....it's unavoidable.....but comeon...let's not be so uptight. If we were all throwing around the 'F' and 'C' words alot, then I would also take issue....but 'dick'........ :roll:

Guest Thurem

I think the $ and the other ways that people disguise cussing is the written language way of bleeping out the bad words. To me people do this out of respect for people, as a sort of self sensorship, who does not appreciate this language. I also think the context should be taken into consideration. For example some body calling another board member a dodohead is not acceptable. Quoting a third person should be suitably disguised (ie. beeped), as to not offend as many as possible. If you have something you feel very strongly about and the only way you can imagine conveying it is by cussing, by all means bleep it out.

I don't think we can keep a 100 % of the members not offended, some people are just looking to get offended, but if a reasonable compromise can be reached, (like maybe 90- 95%) it would be nice.

This is just my opinion and it is up for discussion.

Thure

I don't know if you guys watch "The Shield," but as far as TV on a regular network (FX/FOX), they no longer bleep out words. Yesterday I heart "Sh**", "bullsh**", dick, as*****e, etc. In the background of one episode, a song was playing, and the word F*** wasn't bleeped out as part of the song.

Southpark had an episode dedicated to the word sh**. They even kept a counter running on lower left running up something like 200 times they used the word in the span of 22 minutes for the episode. They were mocking the fact that NYPD Blue used it in one episode on NBC.

America is VERY mild and sheltered in every way. Look at europe and japan's tv. Germany and UK allow showing of women's breasts and partial nudity, and kids can see this. In Japan, they're allowed to show pretty much anything short of the pubic region. It's just a matter of time until it catches up here - starting with Janet Jackson's Superbowl stunt.

In short, our morals (haha, this is going to get to be a touchy subject!) are changing and shifting. Remember when I love Lucy became such a controvercial subject because they showed her pregnant on tv? or the fact that in old sitcoms parents had separate twin beds that they slept on? They'd never show that 40 years ago!

Come to think of it, rent the movie Pleasantville, it's a perfect example of transition and transformation.

Aux,

Your last paragraph hit the nail on the head, in fact we just rented pleasantville. I guess where I was coming from is I get tired of all the in-your-face attitude in the media and the younger crowd. I find Hybridz to be a refreshing change from the other forums and don't want to see it degenerate.

The morals of our country are changing and not all of us are comfortable with that. The change is reflected in the language we use, how we treat each other and what is accepted as "OK".

I agree, this forum is equivalent to a bunch of guys standing around drinking beer and talking cars and I like that aspect of it but let's just not let it degenerate to the lowest common denominator.

I need to ammend my comment from earlier to say that I'm totally against vulgarity simply for vulgarity's sake and flame wars, etc.. but a little colorful language can be accepted.

BTW in my day the equivalent slang term of today's dick was ass, so now you can be a dick and an ass at the same time?!?!?!?

Wheelman

But sometimes when you have to say "This guy was being a dick about the situation," it needs to be expressed as such to have the desired impact on the reading audience.

What, you can't say......

"This guy was being a penis about the situation"? :lol: J/King

I am kinda somewhere in the middle on this one. I agree with Aux, that this is kind of like a bunch of guys standing around in a garage bench racing and drinking beer. You have to accept some of it and try not to take it so seriously.

On the other hand I also agree with Nic, that it will get worse if the mods/admins dont keep a close eye on it. I too have been to other car sites and they do use too much of the "^$%&^%" to explain things. Some sites dont even filter out the curse words! Not to mention most of those sites dont really have too much info on actually working on cars...its more like "well if I did this, some time way down the road, what kind of HP would I get?" or "how much HP will a pulley get me :roll: " (Im not a huge fan of the "bolt-on type car guys"...If all you can do is bolt on pulleys and "ram-air boxes" then your not a real car guy!)

What I dont want to see is guys complaining about using words like "bastard, crap, screwed, etc..." there has to be some acceptance!

Guy :D

I agree that it can easily get out of hand. It's like a 'workplace environment' in a sence; Some places like a garage, factory's, ect, all you'll hear is just a swear after another. "Aww stupid *$^ng piece of #&$", and so on. Its just how ppl talk. Other places, Car dealership's, office's, ect, the language is toned down to the ocasional 'oh $&!*' or something. And this board IS just a bunch of guys hanging around talking cars. Somebody is going to get ofended from time to time, and theres no stopping that. BUT, I am all for the 'toning down' ... think of it like this; If someone curses/swears all the time or a lot, it becomes comonplace. No one takes notice and might not realise how upset someone actually is. If someone refrains from profanity 90% of the time, when the DO curse/swear, it is taken more seriously. It is 'understood' that because they are cursing they are quite upset about the topic.

Just my $.02