HybridZ

How much did everyone spend on their V8 Conversion?

Guest Philanthr0py

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike I was just curious if your 500hp motor would be smoggable. As for why, I know that for me personally I get the kind of attention in my z that makes me think I was driving an exotic, though not the same attention an exotic (or c5 for that matter) would get from the ladies. Unfortunately my car in never always running for one reason or another, but if I had a decent job it wouldn't be a problem. Although the vette is on bad-arse piece of machinery, it seems to be pretty common and driving a customized z gives you the feeling that you have something noone else has for miles. That comes of course at the price of all the comforts you mentioned.

YUp, The LS1 Will PASS smog 100%... It must. That was the goal and why we chose the cam I went with for the build. That is also the absolute beauty of the LS based small block chevy motor.

And C5s are a dime a dozen, but you can make them look different in your own way. People always argue that "Some rich guy bought a Vette and will never drive it!" or "he'll never work on it or mod it"... :lmao: I'd LOVE to see a STOCK C5. They are getting be a lot like Mustangs in that No one leaves them stock because tweeking tham and getting an extra 65-75 Crank HP is cake. :lmao:

To each his own, but I say don't assume you'll always have your datsun, and don't pass up the chance to get another alternate sports car... Like the Porsche Turbo that Yasin just bought... :cool: Life's short, experience them all! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Here's what I spent on my conversion:

Here's what I've spent so far on the swap (from memory)

$130 on the JTR mount adapter kit w/speedo cable- picked it up second hand, but, new

$500 on donor car (1977 GMC Sprint/Chevy El Camino - 350ci/th350 trans)

$100 on Chevy radiator *

$55 on Driveshaft flange adapter *

$65 on Radiator Mounting Kit *

$19 on Coolant Temp Sensor adapter

$8 on GM Oil Pressure switch

$80 on block hugger headers (actually more, but, the first set doesn't count)

$120 on Electric Fan w/Thermostat (3300 cfm! much cheaper than Flex-A-Lite 150 which is $300) *

$12 on Spray Paint

$12 on Wire Loom

$20 (or so) on Various Nuts and Bolts

$95 on Driveshaft modification (not performed yet)

$180 on Edelbrock 650cfm carb (not purchased yet)

$120 on B&M Tranny Shifter

$36 on a Delco Reman Alternator *

$70 on Gear Reduction Start

$150 on Exhaust (not purchased yet)

$25 on new Oil Filter/Spark Plugs/Plug Wires/Thermostat

$20 on Aftermarket Engine/Tranny Mounts - JTR recommends using GM mounts, but GM mounts are over $50 a piece!! (and GM doesn't carry the reommended tranny mount any longer)

-----------------------------------------

All in all, that's a little over $1800 so far (after you include shipping for some of the parts). One thing I need to change is the exhaust. It turns out I knew the guy that runs the Meineke down the street, so he hooked me up on the exhaust and didn't charge me. So, I actually have about $1650 into the swap. Since I didn't really need the Starter, you can take off another $70 (although I did go back and get a new starter later, it was optional)

* = parts that were replaced for cosmetic reasons or were not necessarily needed, but, made things easier.

Now, yes, I do work in the parts business and got a few of the things a bit cheaper (such as the alternator)..but, for the most part, everything was gotten through Autozone or places like it. I did forget to list spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets, though. Add $40 to the total.

I bought my car about 3 years ago for $2500 with the suspension and wheels already in place (which saved me about $2500 in the long run). I have about $1400 into the bodykit/paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Mikelly makes an excellent point – if you’re going to spend $25K on a Z restification, to bring it up to (say) comparable performance levels to those of a modified C5 Corvette, why not just get the Corvette?

However, considerations of “am I getting a good deal†and “am I buying the right parts†– which make or break any project – apply to both the Z and the Vette. Here’s what I mean….

First, the $25K modified Corvette figure makes two assumptions: that you have enough skill as wheeler-and-dealer to find a suitably-priced, good-condition specimen; and you have enough skill to select and install the performance add-on parts yourself. Well, the latter might be easy, but I would argue that if you can get a $20K 1999 Corvette in GOOD CONDITION, you probably have good enough street-smarts to score a comparably good deal on a Z – thus reducing the cost of a HybridZ from that of the above-posted estimates. I mean, apples to apples! You could just as easily spend $30K on a Vette with an engine that’s about to blow, a slipping clutch, dinged bodywork and shoddy electricals.

Second, the Corvette is a heavy car with a long wheelbase. Sure, the handling might be great, and extensive mods might be required to the Z to achieve comparable performance. But the dartiness, the “tossability†that comes from a light car on a short wheelbase is very difficult to beat! In this sense, the Chevy CHEVETTE handles better than the Corvette.

Third, the cost of making mistakes with the Corvette is higher. Remember, the real cost of a V8 Z swap isn’t in the parts that go into the car – it’s the parts that don’t fit, don’t work, or break, or are mismatched. Compare the costs of a cracked junkyard 350 block from a Caprice, vs. a cracked LS1 in the Vette!

Fourth, the Corvette will always scream, “high performanceâ€, whereas the Z can remain somewhat subdued. That’s important in terms of insurance costs, attracting police attention, unwanted street racers, and so forth.

And fifth, the Z swap is emotionally more satisfying, in the sense of an achievement of personal craftsmanship.

The real apples-to-apples comparison is not 1972 240Z vs. 1999 C5 vette, but 1972Z vs. 1972 C3 Vette. Now compare the costs, the relative performance levels, and the mods involved!

Apples = blood, sweat, tears, time and money

Oranges = Chequebook

so.....how do you compare apples to oranges.....

I love Corvettes...always have, and will likely, blindly love them in the future. I grew up with them, learned to drive in one. on and on and on.....

But drive down any freeway in SoCal and they are all over the place....I see maybe 3 or 4 Z cars a week (excl. 32s and 33s). That, to me is the difference......look at what I own: 71 Chevy truck (not common, at least not nice ones), 73 Opel GT (have yet to see one one the road sice I bought mine), and my 73 240Z......

Individuality and exclusivity = Priceless.....

I think Mikelly is a troll and he should be banned.

:shock::confused2:twak::lmao:

There is some seriously good information being posted on this thread. I think for the most part if you have to ask how much...you probably can't afford it.

In addition if you have to ask why, then putting a V8 in a Z isn't for you. If you don't enjoy building it, then get yourself a 'vette.

Apples = blood' date=' sweat, tears, time and money

Oranges = Chequebook

so.....how do you compare apples to oranges.....

I love Corvettes...always have, and will likely, blindly love them in the future. I grew up with them, learned to drive in one. on and on and on.....

But drive down any freeway in SoCal and they are all over the place....I see maybe 3 or 4 Z cars a week (excl. 32s and 33s). That, to me is the difference......look at what I own: 71 Chevy truck (not common, at least not nice ones), 73 Opel GT (have yet to see one one the road sice I bought mine), and my 73 240Z......

Individuality and exclusivity = Priceless.....[/quote']

i think tim hit the nail on the head here with the individuality, here in western NC i might see 10 s30's on the road in an entire year, if that. I love when people ask what it is and etc, etc, s30's are very rare out here, espicially in descent shape, and everyones brother has a corvette, although one day i hope to own one for daily duty

Well those are good points... But make no bones about it, having owned 18 Zcars and 2 corvettes in my lifetime, There is no way a guy like me could leave a Vette stock... and mine absolutely kicks AZZ! :2thumbs:

The vette, modified will keep pace with GT3s, Z06 Vettes, and pretty much anything on VIR, even with my non-driving azz behind the wheel... It is B-I-G! :shock: It Weighs 3200#+ :shock: and bone stock they S-U-C-K! :lmao:

Guys who come here and truly modify their cars will most likely be like me and have a modified lawn mower, pick up truck, bicycle or whatever else they ride in or on. Owning a "CAR" isn't the point... Putting your personal signature on it IS! :-) Tim's latest truck is an EXCELLENT example... Or Mike's (ON3Go) cars, Or Jamie's Or ScottieGNZs... Point is that it isn't the car... It's the experience... When we lose that fun with "THAT" car, it's time to move on... Maybe switch model, maybe switch platform...

And don't even talk to me about emotional experiences... It is quite emotional every time I remove the headers on my vette to pull the exhaust to GET TO the drive train to do something before a track event! :shock::lmao:

It is also VERY emotional every time I drive it on the track. :2thumbs: I'll be doing that this weekend in Advanced SOLO group with http://www.mazdadrivers.com :-)

Have fun, and remove the blinders guys... Its about you, not the car! :2thumbs:

An old man told me once, that to enjoy a hobby, you have to be willing to change. For example, if you like cars and are willing to trade or sell it and get another you can enjoy alot of cars. If you buy one and keep it forever, you will not enjoy the "spice" of life, which is variety. Mikelly truly falls into that category. I myself fall into the keep it category and my boys z is at around 14K and still climbing, although it is about finished, just needs paint and more hp? Ha-Ha!

hi well i lost count of how much i spent on my car after $20,000 (and that was 14 years ago) have done all work myself where possible bar leather work and top coat of paint

But heading towards my 20 year aniversary with my car i cant help but start a ls1 conversion got the motor ready just getting the parts in place so by next march ( hopefully november this year) it will finally be where i always wanted it

Have thought about selling doing something else but know with work and kids i dont have the time to do another rebuild the way i would want so guess im stuck with my zed will just give it a new lease of life with the LS1 install

Mick

Guest Zelicious

I have always loved the z car. I decided to take my time and scour the ads for a complete running converted car. found mine for $3,500.00. 327 sbc, t-5 tranny, r200 rear, custom driveshaft, engine rebuilt with receipts, new tires and rims, original interior in very good shape considering age, gas tank cleaned, some suspension work done, amateur body and paint work. With this in mind I plan on restoring suspension myself and getting the car painted by a pro. hopefully I can stay at under $6,000.00 for total car. This seems a reasonable number for a 300 hp 2 door sports car..and it is unique for sure!

Guest 69rscamaro

forgive me for getting off topic here, but damn why are all you people buying crate engines? My god I have rebuilt small blocks for $1500 and made easy horsepower with them. If you can put a small block in a z cant you rebuild it? Im not bashing I just was shocked at how many people bought them. Granted they are good motors and everything is usually balanced and blueprinted but man I cant believe it.

Pros and cons to both I suppose... I had an engine builder build my first 383 stroker, paid for good parts and ended up with a "Claimer" bottom end. I ended up using a very reputable builder for both the Z's 383 and the LS1 for the vette. He's good, but slower than most.

If you buy a crate motor from GM, you order, you plop down the plastic or cash and you get a long block with a warranty. In the end, and after doing this for several decades, it boils down to this: You ABSOLUTELY get what you pay for.

Do an internally balanced shortblock, with forged parts, aluminum heads with a roller valve train... Go ahead and price that... But make no bones about it, she'll be the baddest biatch on the block.

well i have not been on here but a couple times i just picked up someones project 1970 240 for 1500 all that was done was the motor and trans mounted a 350 and 700r4 in the car so i got on here got some info and got the rest of the parts i needed spent a total of 800 bucks and that included the registration exhaust dual 2.5 to a 3 inch flowmaster then found out he said he had the motor redone but some retard thinks that new bearrings on a trashed motor is rebuilt so went and got a short block for 475.00 with a 1 year warranty at a local shop and the car with 195/70/14 rear tires from pep boys .. cornell tires that is ran a 12.60 at 109 in palmdale california not bad for the total .. so now i need paint and interior also gonna shove a 9 inch and a cage in it since i have the parts and a welder in the garage i might as well so a total of less than 3000 bucks i have a car that eats hondas and craps out mustangs all day long

Guest Nikolai

$1000 for the car, $300 for the 4.8 version of the LS1 with iron block and T5 tranny. All said and done I see it at $2000 for a complete and running v8 280z.

I have to agree with 69rscamaro as far as crate engines.

Crate engines = dependable low compression small cam engines that are overly padded to fulfill their warranty IMO. You would have to spend a lot more money to get the same power out of a crate engine as opposed to one you rebuilt yourself (assuming you did it right). It's the classic difference between new and used it seems. You can either pay more for new or pay a lot less for used that may well do as good of a job as new.

Rebuilt engines should last you just as long as a crate engine if you do it right and you can build them how you like.