Is this color too much?

Metallicar

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ixnay on the atchhay.

-The car looks awesome, though. The black taillight panel should finish up the rear. While we're thinking Mopar, maybe add a hockey-stick or Bumblebee stripe. Check out: http://graphic-express.com/sm_dodge_plymouth.htm

Something similar to the "1973-74 Dart Sport side, over roof stripe kit", that matches the curve of the quarter window would look pretty cool.

Man, you're making me rethink solid black or silver!

Guest rick458

Go green all the way, no black hatch, and gloss the black on the hood.

it will look silly if you allow it to fade very much but keep it crisp and she will look hot.

That looks Awesome!! I've always loved that color! I even considered it for my Dodge Intrepid for a while(then sanity kicked back in). I think it'll look killer! I agree that the rear around the tail lights should be painted black like some of the '69-70 Mustangs, I cant tell if you did or not. Also if your installing a grill I'd say paint that black too. I've just started thinking about colors for my car, its still a looooooooooooong ways off but its fun to dream right?

Man, I think that color is way cool! It fits in perfectly with the retro craze thats going on now with cars. I can't believe the new Mustang or GTO doesn't have a factory color like that; remember "Plum Crazy" or "Grabber Green" from the sixties musclecars?

Anyway, you are the one who has to get up and look at it everyday. If you like it who gives a f*&$ what other people think. Remember...this is Hybrid Z!

• 6 months later...

Wow, I started this thread on September 1 2004. I am not sure if I should be depressed about my slow progress or feeling good that I am turning the corner.

I have started to put all of the goodies back into the interior and I have put all of the exterior trim back on.

So what do you think so far? I still need to; buff more, paint the left rocker black as the right, install the new windscreen gaskets, and some small things.

http://home.comcast.net/~hopharrigan/wsb/media/350385/site1052.JPG

It is impossible to see in this picture, my homemade lower grille of stainless 1/4" mesh welded into a frame.

http://home.comcast.net/~hopharrigan/wsb/media/350385/site1050.JPG

i liek it.... but dont speed in it :) get caught real fast! btw i like to choose car colors by looking at doritos and other chip bags. If you like bright colors thats THE way to go.... walk down the safeway isle you will see some awesome combinations. They got a green one jsut like yours cept they paired it with a yellow, i like your black better :)

I think the car looks great, only thing I would say and its an opinion, and you know how they are, I would paint the inspection lids green as well, as far as the car it looks fantastic!!

Someone told me that bright green was a bad luck color for fast cars for some reason. Something about NASCAR' date=' I think.

Anyway, I have been blacking out all the chrome and stainless on my 2+2. I installed early bumpers and they are now black. The aluminum mags will be left bright and polished.

I may flat black the hood, rockers, and cowl panel as well. I like the color combination. 2+2 cars seem not look good in some colors, so how about this one? Would you throw up if you saw this on the street? I was hoping it would be accepted as "old school" and not Rice. I found a few examples of 70's cars painted this green, though mostly "muscle" cars.

So here is a test shot on a spare fender-[img']http://home.comcast.net/~hopharrigan/wsb/media/350385/site1043.JPG[/img]

I have thick skin, so tell me like it is.

I like your green, go for it. It seems to me that the early series I Z's had an "organic" green along with that odd "rust orange brown". A green may in fact be "old school". The fender is neat, buuuuuut, what is that hood? Am I right in that you have a late 280z hood with vents and another old school '74Z "competition hood" vent look alike on the center? It's the horizonal vents I'm referring to. If that is a commercial "scoop", please post the manufacturer. I've been looking and planning on doing something very similar for the last year.

g

Reminds me a lot of the 1970 Mustang a buddy of mine had. It was very close to that green and had a flat black hood.

The best though were some late 60's Fiat X1/9's that were almost a phosphorescent yellow-green. Iswore that they would glow in the dark. Impressive.

BillZ260,

The car is still on old "rollers", I am going to install a set of 14X7 American Racing Slotted Wheels (as shown in my "test picture" early in this thread).

The struggle for me there, is making a choice in the limited availabilty of tires in 14". I would like 205, 215, 225 x 60's (somewhere in there). I would like tires that grip well in dry and wet conditions and are quite. I don't really care about snow traction or tread life.

Okay, I welded a frame made up of 1/4" x 1/4" steel. I made the frame in the same angle as the original grille. I laid a strip of 1/4" stainless steel mesh I bought from Mcmaster-Carr inside the frame. Then I welded in a 1/8" rod around the inside of the frame to "pinch in" the mesh. I welded up 3 tabs to line up to the original mount locations of the stock grille and drilled 1/4" holes. Painted it satin black, and installed with stainless fasteners. Because it has the steel frame and rods, it is heavy, maybe 3 pounds. If I were to make another, I would use aluminum angle and rods.

Here is the grille shot:site1055.JPG

• 4 weeks later...