HybridZ

Modern Motorsports vs. Arizona Z car?

Alright, apparently I'm selling my rear disc upgrade from Ross at mm to my father. so I need to pick up front and rear brake kits, as well as suspension

1st off-brakes. arizona z car rotors appear to have a lot of venting, have 4 pot aluminum calipers, aluminum caliper brakcets for the rear disc setup, $749 up front, $795 in rear

ross also has aluminum calipers, brackets are steel though. $1225 in back, $1200 up front

obv, arizonas are a lot less money. I can't really afford $2400 brakes right now, but I want sufficient stopping power, minimized fade, and i'm hopefully gonna be pushing a lot of power, so I'm gonna need it.

can you guys go more in depth as to the cv conversion's ross sells? to use the zxt halfshafts in earlier z cars

Arizona also has chromemoly lca's, seem nice for adjustablility, and obv a weight savings

last question- there were some race-prepped 240s with arizona z car coilovers, and some with ground controls. pros and cons of these coilovers? ie: spring perch adjustability, spring rates, etc

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search and you will probably find more information than you want. Most of these questions have been asked before. You may also want to consider JSK for a "you piece it together" brake setup. There was also a member putting together brackets and hubs to use off the shelf Mustang brakes up front.

On your rear brakes, don't forget to consider your laws on emergency brakes and any inspections you may have to go through.

Alright' date=' apparently I'm selling my rear disc upgrade from Ross at mm to my father. so I need to pick up front and rear brake kits, as well as suspension

1st off-brakes. arizona z car rotors appear to have a lot of venting, have 4 pot aluminum calipers, aluminum caliper brakcets for the rear disc setup, $749 up front, $795 in rear

ross also has aluminum calipers, brackets are steel though. $1225 in back, $1200 up front

obv, arizonas are a lot less money. I can't really afford $2400 brakes right now, but I want sufficient stopping power, minimized fade, and i'm hopefully gonna be pushing a lot of power, so I'm gonna need it.

can you guys go more in depth as to the cv conversion's ross sells? to use the zxt halfshafts in earlier z cars

Arizona also has chromemoly lca's, seem nice for adjustablility, and obv a weight savings

last question- there were some race-prepped 240s with arizona z car coilovers, and some with ground controls. pros and cons of these coilovers? ie: spring perch adjustability, spring rates, etc[/quote']

Brakes- Tough call. The MMS are 5 lug where as the price you quoted for the AZC is for the 4 lug. The AZC 5 lug version is $1100. Also the MMS are 13" vs. the 12.2 of AZC. The AZC does include a adjustable prop valve AND Willwood calipers...tough decision. I like the look of the AZC a bit more but like the idea of 13" brakes..hmmmm..

The half shaft conversion is a favorite around here and seems very easy to install. It is basically just an adapter. I have never perfomed it but have read a bunch of good reviews.

Sorry can't give any info on the coil overs as i am currently rsearching it myself.

Where in Buffalo is you car? I would love to see it. I have a shop near the corner of Amherst and Main. We should get together sometime and talk shop!!

Rufus

Regarding the coilovers. I believe the differnce in the two set-ups is, the GC units use a pinch type coil adjuster ring (simpleset to adjust..allen wrench..no busted knuckles) and the threaded sleeve is aluminum. The other units, i believe use the more common (two locking rings) coil adjusters and a steel threaded sleeve. Usually, if it's a steel threaded sleeve, it get welded to the strut tube as the GC unit requires welding on a perch (supplied) for the aluminum sleeve to sit on. Hope this helps you out some. Does one perform better than the other.....I would think not.

I would prefer to stay 4 lug, so I can use 240sx wheels. there aren't a lot of 17" (gotta clear the brakes, plus minimal tire sidewall roll) wheel options for the Z, so I heard I'd be able to use 240sx wheels (same bolt pattern and offset).

I live on Merrimac near Main, my Z is currently in storage near Fredonia. I need to find a garage up here so I can bring it up

My parents live on the west side of buffalo though, and my dad has a gunmetal 71 240, you may have seen it around. Also, my uncle lives a few blocks from me, he's got a red 73 with a g nose.

you have/need any parts? We've got 2 whole cars in parts in our basement.

Regarding the PBR calipers... I just bought a set of the CURRENT version calipers from a Corvette Forum member for $140 SHIPPED for the complete set of FOUR calipers...

After doing this latest track event in my Vette, I'm not so sure a HUGE rotor combo on a Z is really that needed... The vette weighs 400-800# more than a Z, and with PBR calipers, track pads (Hawk HP+), good hitemp fluid and excellent brake ducting, I had ZERO issues with fade on Summit Point, which is known for being tough on brakes... a 12 inch rotor, good fluid/ Pads, and proper ducting should be sufficiant for a Z.

I believe there are other options out there, and if you are willing to do a little of your own leg work, you could save hundred off these prices.

Regardless who you go with, make sure the vendor meets YOUR timeline. Ask when a specific vendor will ship the parts or if they are currently on backorder... Having been a small vendor, I can tell you that one of lifes many instances can deraille a good days (Or WEEKS) worth of orders. 8)

Communicate with the vendor you choose, so your expectations meet theirs, and vise versa... :wink:

Mike 8)

Regardless who you go with' date=' make sure the vendor meets YOUR timeline. Ask when a specific vendor will ship the parts or if they are currently on backorder... Having been a small vendor, I can tell you that one of lifes many instances can deraille a good days (Or WEEKS) worth of orders. 8)

Communicate with the vendor you choose, so your expectations meet theirs, and vise versa... :wink:

Mike 8)[/quote']

Excellent advice Mike!! :wink::?

I would prefer to stay 4 lug, so I can use 240sx wheels.

240SX wheels have a front wheel drive offset. They won't work without thick spacers. 4 lug wheels that will fit a Z are very limited. If you are planning on a lot of power like you state you might want to find wheels first, unless you can live with a 17X7" with a 225mm tire.

I run the AZ Z Car 5 lug brakes on my street car (overkill) so I could go wide on the wheels with out spending alot of money on them. I run the "OLD" AZ Z Car 11.75" fronts and non vented rear rotor on my track only car and don't have fade issues at all and I don't run ducts. IMO the 12.2" is plenty for a light Z. I know he has done larger for people that want bigger but all it gets you is bling and extra weight. Unless you have over 500rwhp and alot of tire, or maybe running some mulitiple hour enduro, I don't see you needing more.

For coil overs. I run Az Z Car, but if it's threaded and you can adjust ride height either would work.

what are the 5lug wheel options? what popular japanese cars share that bolt pattern and offset?

(btw what is the bolt pattern and offset?)

actually, how is that possible? I have a friend of mine who runs 280zx wheels (the same wheels I have on my 240z right now) on his 240sx.

and why would a 240sx have a fwd offset? they're rwd.

Upgrading to the 5 lug conversion most of us have done would be the SMARTEST thing you could do to assist you in updating wheel choices.

We're talking less than $300 in parts, and a little labor to get into the world of the Mustang/ 300ZX bolt pattern, which has a TON of wheel choices from there...

Mike 8)

nah I'm definately going to get aftermarket wheels, it's just easier when a bolt pattern is similar to a popular car, to go to forums for that car and look for used aftermarket wheels

The 5 lug conversion gives you the same bolt pattern as the mustang.

You should seriously do a LOT more research on this topic... American Racing Wheels? :roll:

I had a set of the 2002 model Cobra R wheels on my Flared Z... You can see them here...

http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z

RONAL, CCW, BBS, ASC, Fittipaldi, you name it, there are a TON of high end wheels for the Newer mustang market... They seem to have something nissan doesn't... Support from the aftermarket... So I'd do some research and pick a wheel you like and go from there!

Mike 8)

While we're talking brake conversions don't forget Juan at JSK Innovations. He has the 12.2" vented Willwood Superlites for front and rear now. I think he's close on the parking brake option too. I have the JSK Willwoods on the front and the MM 240SX/300ZX conversion on the rear. I just got them all trued up and will start a real evaluation pretty soon. I have the 280ZX master cylinder but, at this point, I don' have an adjustable proportioning valve. It's not acting right now like I'll need one. I need time for some heavy braking runs at speed to confirm that, though.