HybridZ

Modern Motorsports vs. Arizona Z car?

Upgrading to 5 lug will give you the same wheel choices for Ford, Toyota Supra, 300ZX, etc. You can get some great (but expensive) wheels for your Z from the likes of Volk Racing, Work, CCW, HRE, BBS, etc, after you do the conversion. Just measure the offset what you need and then order the wheels.

FWIW, Mike was only giving advice. If he needles you, it is because he likes you. He just runs over the people he doesn't :D

Davy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm dropping the bucks for bling wheels anyway, why no save the $500 on adaptors and get the bling wheels custom in 4 lug?

I'll probably go 5 lug though, and search the 300zx forums for cool wheels. Still not sure about the brakes though, or the ground control vs AZcar

maybe if AZ could hook something up w/brakes, suspension, and camber plates I'll go with them

OK, I'm with you now... YOu could do that... The only reason I would think long and hard about a custom one-off 4 X4.5 is what if you change your mind down the road and want another wheel?

Guys around here (Myself included) change our minds more than our underwear... Which might explain the smell! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Mike

The nice thing about the PBR's in my eyes is that they are designed as a street performance caliper, whereas the wilwoods, etc. are made to be race only parts. The largest difference being that the PBR's have dust seals, which will extend the logevity of the calipers by a LOT. I can't think of any particular drawback with the PBR's when compared to wilwood/outlaw/etc.

which will extend the logevity of the calipers by a LOT.

Not so sure on this one. I think it will extend the SERVICE INTERVAL by a huge amount, but not the life of the caliper. The only thing moving in the calipers is the pistons past the seals. You can buy new pistons and new seals for the Wilwoods. What else is going to wear out???

The main reason I resisted Wilwoods for so long was the lack of dust seals, and the fact that I drive my car on the street. Having suffered from no brake pedal on a number of occasions now, I wanted to avoid any potential leaks. But it really boils down to how you change the pads AFAIK.

When you change pads on Wilwoods, I've heard 2 approaches:

1. Disassemble the caliper, change all the seals, inspect the pistons for scratches, and reassemble.

2. Push the pistons out farther, clean the pistons as much as possible, then push them back in and hope that they don't leak.

I've also heard people say it doesn't matter and that you just push the pistons in normally and it won't cause a leak.

As far as downsides to the PBRs the main one is COST. They seem to be touted as at least as rigid as Wilwoods (which surprised me) and they are lightweight, although I don't have exact weights to compare.

Well interestingly enough I have had all of the following in hand:

Mustang Cobra PBR Caliper (Like Ross Sells and as you can see in the link to the Pro Street Scarab We're doing for a member here)

Wilwood Superlites - VERY Nice and I've had them in TWO different cup sizes...

Outlaw Series 4000s - Very nice and VERY similar to the Wilwood in style and design

Chevy Corvette C5 PBR calipers - I'm fond of these, since I have them on my Vette...

All of the above mentioned calipers are LIGHT... Within ounces of each other... PERIOD...

I've had wilwoods on the track, and I've had Corvette PBRs on the track and the performance was identical. I've also had the Cobra PBR caliper on the track and it is also... IDENTICAL...

You guys simply can NOT go wrong with the current crop of OEM calipers... I've been salevating over the chance to try Ross' 13 inch kit, when Jim's car is done and I break in the brakes and bed the pads... I'll report back here, but suspect that they will also be... Ummm GREAT! For $2600 They better be! :lol: If not, I'm verbally throwing Ross under the bus on this forum... But Ross is confident, and so am I...

Once the pads are broken in, I have a location I can safely do 60 zero braking measurements, as well as 80-0 measurements... I'll try to get some testing in before I give Jim back his car.

Mike 8)

I have the AZC 5 lug kits on my car.Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't baby this car either.I have had no trouble whatsoever with brakes since I put them on, performance wise anyway.I did however,have a few issues getting it all installed.Instructions that came with the kit were sorely lacking in detail and there was a fair amount of grinding and fitting to get it all working.The rotors are starting to show some hotspots after some use also.The brake lines need some finesse to get plumbed in and bleeding the system is just a pain in the ass.And by the way,I think my American racing wheels kick ass!! A ford ranger offset worked best for me.

Wheels... 4 lug or 5 lug it doesnt matter these days. Tons of custom wheel manufactures out there. You can get everything in almost any size and custom made easy. My 1971 401 4spd AMC Javelin AMX I had wheels made at $300 a piece. Good price for sweet perfect billet rims that fit you would only dream of a few years ago. The wheel market has made leaps and bounds. An example would be http://www.coloradocustom.com/

Wheels... 4 lug or 5 lug it doesnt matter these days. Tons of custom wheel manufactures out there. You can get everything in almost any size and custom made easy. My 1971 401 4spd AMC Javelin AMX I had wheels made at $300 a piece. Good price for sweet perfect billet rims that fit you would only dream of a few years ago. The wheel market has made leaps and bounds. An example would be [url']http://www.coloradocustom.com/[/url]

The only half way decent looking 17X8 I saw on there was $455, 17X9.5 was $475 each. Even at $300 each it's still kinda expensive compared to what's available in a 5 lug cast wheels. When you buy big brakes and have to get new tires for the new wheels it gets expensive.

Yup... Wheels ARE an issue for some guys who DON'T have deep pockets... Huh, Talk about $300 PER wheel to some guys and they will scrap their projects, Which is WHY the 5 lug conversion is SOOOO SWEET! The customer of this SCarab Pro Street Car we're building has deep pockets and was able to buy CCWs... That will now have to be modified because the fronts are interfering with the front spoiler... Some guys can't afford $3000 worth of CCW wheels, so you can't Assume that everyone is working on the same budget.

That also makes the Mustang Cobra R wheel a VERY attractive $600 solution! :D

Mike