HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

Im thinking 300hp would get you realllly close to 150. If you think about it its twice the hp of the car.

Close, but not over. That was the contention of the $1 bet John and I had running for years.

The problem: (see aero forum)

With a G-Nose, the speed potential will go up QUITE a bit. Our Bonneville car is not that powerful, only slightly more than 300 to the rear wheels, but the rake, G-Nose, etc on the car gets us what we need to go fast.

At ElMirage, I watched a dual-quad 380CID chevy powered car go 155 against our 163 that very same day. Of course he was convinced his 'snowplow' front end was 'really really aerodynamic, he had someone design it for him'...and it looked like one of those big snowplows you see in the northern states, with a big scoop out front, flat front, and almost vertical front end with a totally closed radiator area. BIG block of plywood basically...and no headlight covers at all!:icon56:

Right now, there is a car (#236) that has a chopped roof and nice looking front end that looks like it should make some downforce...I think he has gone 170+ at ElMirage thusfar. Almost on par with the Opel GT he formerly had the driveline in (we are truly diseased)...

735451_182_full.jpg

0236.JPG

735451_153_full.jpg

This last shot was taken before he got the car painted, the first year after the Opel GT flat spinned and endoed three times in the same event. That pretty much did in that chassis...

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does a motorcyle verify a speed? From what I've heard bike speedos are just as off, if not MORE off than most cars.

GPS is the only realistic way for the average person to verify a speed in my opinion. That or a ticket...

Don't get your panties in a wad. I didn't post that to start a pissing contest of a new busa speedometer accuracy.

Hell will freeze over before you see me anywhere near that speed, let alone with a GPS.

Evan

Don't get your panties in a wad. I didn't post that to start a pissing contest of a new busa speedometer accuracy.

Hell will freeze over before you see me anywhere near that speed, let alone with a GPS.

Evan

Sorry, didn't mean to seem upset or anything. I just wanted to point out that bike speedo accuracy has been discussed on these forums by people that HAVE verified their "accuracy" that's all. I never meant to argue.

If the bike has been known to be accurate, then that's fine. I also don't doubt that the speeds started are possible. I just wanted to know if there was more info than just "veified by bike" because more details would have been appreciated.

That's all. Never meant to come across as argumentative. Sorry.

Sorry, didn't mean to seem upset or anything. I just wanted to point out that bike speedo accuracy has been discussed on these forums by people that HAVE verified their "accuracy" that's all. I never meant to argue.

If the bike has been known to be accurate, then that's fine. I also don't doubt that the speeds started are possible. I just wanted to know if there was more info than just "veified by bike" because more details would have been appreciated.

That's all. Never meant to come across as argumentative. Sorry.

I didn't mean to come across as a tool bag. My apologies for sounding short. Alot of people on forums have been trying to call me out lately on various wierd details so I have been kind of testy as of late.

Sorry!

Evan

I didn't mean to come across as a tool bag. My apologies for sounding short. Alot of people on forums have been trying to call me out lately on various wierd details so I have been kind of testy as of late.

Sorry!

Evan

So cute...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

141 MPH

I-5 northbound near Mount vernon WA.

Downhill, great tailwind 1/4 tank of gas and no passenger.

Radar went off and had to slow down before top speed was reached. Maybe next time.

Dave.

Stock L24

E-88 head

Stage 2 cam (480/277)

6 into 1 ceramic coated header

Triple Weber 40DCOE's

Mallory Unilite Dizzy

Mallory Promaster Coil

MSD 6A

79' ZX 5-speed

3:90 LSD R-200 w/ turbo CV's

225/50ZR16's on 16x7.5 Eagle Alloys

Xenon front air dam

Bre rear spoiler

Eibach PR springs

KYB Struts

ES urethane everywhere

74 260Z with a mild 350 stock rear.

128MPH so far two people and windows down

I had a stock 74 240Z it would show 125MPH

I had a 75 stock 280Z it would show 115

my 74 with a mild 350 sbc GPS 128 mph with two people in it

My 94 Camaro with a heavly modded 350 with 3.73 would hit the rev limiter at 6800 145mph With the new 383 forged motor with 4.11 gears about 125mph. est.

Guest 350zgto

145 or so. Front end was light, car accelerating like mad lifting up the front suspension. 350 V-8, 427 HP, Tremec .68 in 5th gear, 3:36 rear end, 26.5" tall tire, engine wasn't even beginning to work hard, was only turning @ 4200 RPM. Trans calculator says 201 MPH at 6000 RPM but I don't think it would redline in 5th, it is pushing too much air under the car. It will redline 4th gear, 137 MPH. No spoilers, no air dams. Stock body. Need areo improvments for top speed. I think 175-180 is doable.

Above 130 MPH, the springs feel soft and the front end will wander with increased toe-in from the front end lifting.

130 in my old Celica with the front end about to pop off the ground, 140 in my Supra (solid as a rock, felt just like 50MPH), and a friend's Mustang GT (was okay, not great, maybe a little shakey but still perfectly managable), me driving. Welllll over 160 in my uncle's Cobra. We maxed out his speedo and kept going for another ten seconds or so, car was still pulling HARD. Had trouble lifting my head from the seat... That was the ride that got me into cars.

When my Supra ran, 100-120 was a daily thing. Still do it pretty often in a buddy's Z28 (you REALLY feel the speed in that car, in the Supra it was nothing).

Even on the high 3.9 rear diff 6500rpm would be 165mph. Tough to believe if you ask me. On the other common ratio, 3.545 6,500 rpm would be 181mph.

Now, if you were running a 185/60-14 6,500 RPM is now 152, but the speedo would read about 165mph. So maybe your tires were a tad smaller than stock?

I've take a couple 280ZX's up to their top stock speed with as much safe highway as I had, and once it gets to 4,500 it's a tough climb to about 5,000 when it really feels like the engine just doesn't want to keep going. That's about 130mph, granted I was using a slightly larger than stock tire size.

135 mph in my VG30ET powered 510.

155 mph (speed limited) in my 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed.

160 mph (limited due to 4.10 rear gears & 4 speed) in 1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda Factory Trans-Am racer.

49cuda-daytona.jpg

Went 185 mph down the back straight at Daytona (running the road course config) in a '73 Dodge Challenger Petty kit car drove by a young rookie named Dale Earnhardt and driven by Marty Robbins & Pete Hamilton. Stock body, but tube frame with sheet metal floor. You could buy these turn-key cars from Chrysler back in the day. :)

49petty.jpg