HybridZ

Fumes In My Car!

TREVTEC

Im about to go crazy trying to figure this out. This is my Second Z, its a 71 240Z and I got it because I sold my 76 280Z because of the exhaust fumes that invade the inside of the car when I decelerate. Get this new Z up and running and it does the same thing. I replaced the rear seal around the hatch door. Any body have an idea when it might be?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 305240

I put turn down chrome exhaust tips on both my wife's 300ZX and my 81turbo. No more exhaust fumes. It worked for me. I got tired of smelling exhaust with the T tops off.

Well there are a lot of places. around the tail lights is one of the major ones. Another way to find the problem is to remove absolutly everything from the rear inside of the car. Interior panels etc. and start looking for holes. You might even be able to have someone inside in the back and someone outside holding a halogen shop light and look for light coming in. Also check the rubber grommets in the bottom of the hatch.

Aux, it has no matches

Either the search engine is down or the search Id isn't in the server cache any more. It worked for me a while ago.

Just search on the word "fumes." You'll get a bunch of hits.

I put turn down chrome exhaust tips on both my wife's 300ZX and my 81turbo. No more exhaust fumes. It worked for me. I got tired of smelling exhaust with the T tops off.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've read all the searched forums on exhaust fumes and know about the firewall and the tailights and I'm good on both. However, I still get fumes with the windows down. I'm considering doing AC and never rolling my windows down again. However, I was at MSA once, and was given the suggestion of extending the tailpipe out a few inches. This seems to go along some with what this gentleman has suggested. I think I may try this, though it will look pretty silly with a 3 inch tip.

I used to have a 2 1/2" chrome tip that came about 6" out of the body or about 1-2" past the bumper. Never really had a problem with exhaust fumes unless the hatch was open (carrying something). I took my a/c out, i have a Magnaflow street serries muffler one it now.. opens up to a 4" tip that maybe protrudes... 1/2" -1" from the body now and I don't have any problems with fumes. It's basically the aerodynamics of the Z, porsche used a rear spoiler underneath the car.. on their 928's to smooth out the rear flow and take the exhaust away. I also put rear flares on my car.. that seems to help the airflow back there as well.

Not to mention turning you vent on inside the car can do wonders while you drive with the windows down.

And I've said this exact same thing before....

-Ed

With the window down or cracked the pressure inside the car is less than at the outside rear. I think you would need a 2 foot exhaust extension to get it far enough away.

Other than the main seal check the 2 hatch plugs, and the inner hatch pannel, alot of them warp, letting in fumes from the latch.

good, i am replacing all weatherstrip on the entire car, gonna silicone the hell outta the firewall grommets, already replaced hatch plugs, siliconed the antenna drain plug, sealed alot of the holes behind the interior panels, filled the drivers quarter with foam, and have a 3 piece rear spoiler, i hope this all works

My 240 doesn't stink, windows or not.

fl327 always claimed 240's are more prone to this than 280's. He has owned both so must be something to it.

There was an old thread about belly pans and diffusers that went over and over on this. One of the take aways is to extend the exhaust tip out and down. Otherwise the exhaust gets pulled up behind the hatch and comes along the rear quarter windows and in the car.

In all the posts I have read, I have never heard of anyone fixing this problem through sealing up holes. Must be more to it.

I think I was just lucky, I was just in my friends 77 and it has exhaust stench almighty. Another couple places to look for leaks would be that gas tank vent hoses and the lines around the Gas tank fill area. The coupler can get holes and let off gas vapor, which smells just like exhaust. The hoses around that area can get cracks as well. Tailight seals, antenna hole, maybe the holes in the tire well that should have a plug as well?

Ive seen a lot of z's that run their exhaust pretty far out the back of the car with a turndown at the end. Another one of my buddies runs his exhaust out the side of his car with a retangular tip that comes out flush with the buttom of the 1/4, looks cool but it didnt help the exhaust smell too good.

In all the posts I have read' date=' I have never heard of anyone fixing this problem through sealing up holes. Must be more to it.[/quote']

search Zcar.com and their is an excellent post on how a guy removed the fumes from his car by just sealing up holes.

It would just make sense that sealing the rear would help with fumes, because driving with the rear hatch open definitely causes it. But in all the posts I have read I don't remember anyone claiming to have cured exhaust fumes that way.

I have read claims that extending the exhaust tip out and cutting it at an angle cured the problem.

Now gas fumes are another issue. The early California Z's have 3 or 4 rubber vent hoses snaking all over the back of the car. Those were bad on my Z when I first got it. Car stunk to high heaven every time I took a hard turn. I walked into a Nissan dealership with the hoses in my hand, the guy looked at me and without saying a word dropped the hoses in front of me and said "$150".

guess it is a pretty common problem.