HybridZ

Saw the 'new' dodge Charher today.. wow

datsunlover

I'm sure this is old news to some, but I am very impressed.. The local dealership just got a few new Chargers in, and OMFG!!! I think there's something wrong with me... :lol: I pulled in and stared like a little kid for about 5 minits. I love the look of these cars from every angle... It's just.. MEAN!! A friend of mine has an '04 ram reg cab/short box with the Hemi and it moves really good.. I can just imagine it in a SEDAN with the 5 speed auto.. big 5 spoke rims, dual exhast, leather interior... Jeah... :bling:

I'm really amazed with dodge this time.. they got 'the lines' in the roof/rear pilar/window area just right, and I had to do a double take before I realized its an 05, not a 65! MHO anyway.. :)

Guest bastaad525

Sorry I think they aren't anything special. Look too much like the Magnum and I think most Mopar guys are pissed that it's four door instead of two and I wholeheartedly agree. It's also a bit too close to the Chrysler 300C, not really in looks but in everything else (V8 hemi, four door RWD sedan). In some ways it even does look the same as the 300.

I think they need to get back to doing real muscle cars like the mustang and GTO... 2 door rwd high powered V8 for a great price.

Saw a show on TV that says they will be offering a 425 HP V8 for the Charger. The one they were running had all kinds of 70's vintage graphics.

Don't know. If truely 425 HP that would be one badazz car. Weld the doors shut, paint a rebel flag on it, a horn that plays dixie and just hope for a girl named Daisy in short shorts....

I personally think they couldve done a LOT better. It's not so much the 4doors that bother me as much as its the looks. The nose is blunt and stands out. The rear looks like granpas sedan. The only thing that really looks good IMO are the headlights. I think they look menacing, although the rest of the pig-snout front end ruins them, i feel.

The performance of the car is proving to be good. The torque is plentiful and the corning behavior is good for a car that size. The interior is quite roomy although dull.

The chargers of yesteryear are mean looking cars. Some are argueably the meanest looking muscle cars ever built (68-69 for example). This new charger looks like a family sedan with out of proportion curves and a hemi.

I was personally dissappointed in the car.

It's not that bad, it's not great either but considering the options. Would you rather buy a FWD Impala or boring looking Ford 500 for around the same price depending on the rebates you get. It's like the best of the domestics... or two domestics and one German owned. But i bet you the cops would be really interested in the Charger Police package that Daimler is offering for it.

Guest bastaad525

The chargers of yesteryear are mean looking cars. Some are argueably the meanest looking muscle cars ever built (68-69 for example). This new charger looks like a family sedan with out of proportion curves and a hemi.

I was personally dissappointed in the car.

that's more of what I was feeling but didn't really put into words so well :D it is more than just the four doors... just the whole look of the thing. As a car it looks fine, but as a CHARGER, it is somehow lacking. Chargers were mean looking cars, this one is not.

I think its another "Flavor Of The Month" from Chrysler....this company is the KING of producing novelty cars that looks great when they are launched and fade quickly....let's see:

1) Neon - remember all the hype when they were launched over 10years ago?

2) Prowler - what happened to these $60G Intrepid powered cars anyway?

3) PT Cruiser - Does anyone actually give these a second look now?

4) Ram trucks - more hype due to the International truck nose...

The list goes on and on....I call it creative marketing.

Yasin

Never mind the styling – I’m just disappointed that this thing is so heavy. Muscle cars were never particularly light, but they were lighter than “full size†sedans and wagons. And now the so-called muscle cars are themselves the largest passenger cars in the fleet. The same thing happened to the Mustang – weight kept creeping up in the 1990’s, and now lard has been piled extra-high for the new generation model.

But at least Chrysler and Ford have SOMETHING that’s RWD and “moderately pricedâ€, bloated as it may be. GM still doesn’t have a RWD car, unless you count the Corvette and some Cadillacs.

I was just at some Chystler training 2 weeks ago and the instructor told me he had one weight in...........5240lbs! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Yeah so that 300+ HP has got some weight to pull around! Even when they start building the SRT-8 425HP versions its still going to be a pig!

Yeah and every guy that is a true Mopar fan, that I have talked to hates the fact that its a a four door. I still say that Ford has got this market won with the new Mustang. And Im not even a Ford guy! I just love the retro look of the new stang!

Guy

That doesnt sound possible. 5240?? Maybe 4240 (still higher than actual i think) but 5240..cant believe it. My fullsize, kingcab, V8 F150 doesnt weight THAT much.

I can see that, as I think the 300C ways somewhere around that, and you can get one almost as loaded as a 300!

Mario

Someone's blowing smoke... curb weight is 4031 according to Detroit News auto reviews:

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsum...ex.cfm?id=19530

Still about 1000 lbs overweight if you ask me.

Hey Im just repeating what my instructor(from a Dodge training center) told me....(although it is possible that he misspoke the number he gave me, but I know for sure that what he said was 5240 lbs)

Guy

4251 for the 300c awd 5.7l and 4031 for the 5.7l charger... maybe you guys are thinking GVWR which is curb + max number of passengers i think they count a passenger as 180 lbs each... dont forget trunk capacity.... fuel.... etc

..... just notiuced only offered in an automatic anyway... why give it 425 horses and an auto? maybe this is just my type of thinking

Guest bastaad525

makes me appreciate my 2300lb Z even more :D

it's funny because the new TV ads for the Charger have started airing, and they are making it out to look like some really powerful, fast musclecar. But at 4000lbs, it needs all 300-whatever of those Hemi horsepower just to get the thing moving... it's gotta be anything but fast.

I didn't even know that thing was that fat... really that's dissapointing.

Google Dodge Charger and a popular hotrodding article pops up. They claim the SRT8 model does 0-60 in around 5 seconds and 13 in the quarter mile. Those times are not far off what the orignial hemi chargers did back in the 60's.

They also listed a curb weight that is 100 pounds heavier than the boats they made in 68-69. Said there were less than 500 hemi powered chargers made in the first go around. The rest got 318's and such. Guess that explains why the 68 hemi's sell for over $100,000.

With 420 ft-lbs of torque and an auto they would make pretty good tow vehicles. 4 wheel Bembo disks too.

The SRT8 Charger has the 425 HP 6.1 liter hemi - same as the Chrysler 300 version. I know the Chrysler has 4WD as an option but I'm not sure about the Dodge. I have a feeling that the Charger and the GTO will be very close performance wise but the Charger will probably be a bit less expensive. The original charger, not the Dukes of Hazard "The General", was pretty much a pig. Styling was mediocre and so was performance. Dodge has come out much stronger this time with a car that looks much better initially and also performs much better initially than the original 60's Charger. Yes, It shares a lot with the Chrysler 300C - that is how DC will keep costs within reason. I would imagine that a 6-spd would be an option in later models if demand is high enough.