HybridZ

Brake upgrade FAQ

O.K. Guys I have a situation that I need to have explained to me.  I purchased 240sx calipers, and the 240sx brackets from MMS and also got the stainless steel brake lines. The two lines are different lengths and they also have two different fittings that tie into the brake lines (not talking about the banjo fittings).  Why make the different lines one having to use a reducer.  Could someone please explain this setup and reasoning. Thank you in advanced

The longer of the two brake lines is for the passenger side and the shorter one is for the driver side.  

The passenger side should have a Male M10x1.0 Inverted Flare on the end

The driver side if I remember correctly is a different fitting with an adapter to be Female M10x1.0 Inverted Flare.

The passenger side brake line is designed to reach directly to the Tee above the diff.  It should thread directly into the Tee.  For the driver side, you will need a hardline to go from the Tee to where it will connect with the stainless steel flexible line.  

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. here is a question I have that I could not find in the FAQ section. I purchased the Z31 5lug hubs from Modern-Motor Sports with +40 offset, using the 300ZX vented rotors, calipers are the Toyota S12W.  My question is what is the thickness of the spacer that is needed to push the rotor back far enough from the hub so that it will mate up with the caliper.  Tried contacting Ross at MMS but to no avail, no response.   

Ok I just got a brand new 79-81 280zx master cylinder from autozone as it was cheaper than finding one in a junkyard... Well the mc is stamped with 7/8 on the side and looks exactly identical to the mc already on my 76 280z.  So apparently they've done away with the 15/16 mc and said the 7/8 is sufficient for replacement mc's.

Has anybody run across this problem?  I would rather have a brand new or refurbished part than have to rebuild it once I pay for a used one.

After re reading this I may just take my refurbished toyota calipers (s12+8) and mc back and find a nice set of pads and new rotors for now.

Possibility 1: Autozone and the like are selling the 7/8 MC as a replacement for the 15/16 unit - Unlikely

Possibility 2: Someone upgrading turned their 7/8 MC in for the core - Very likely!

Have you considered swapping your booster and MC with those found in the later ZX? Seems people have been doing that ever since the 79-81 MC supply started drying up...

• 7 months later...

For those of you running S130 calipers on both the front and rear, what rotors and pads are you running with them? Stock replacements? Or some sort of upgrade.

I'm looking to keep my stock brakes on my '83 280zx, but I would like to put good rotors and pads on it. Anyone have the part number for some Hawk HP pads both front and rear? Everything I find online says it fits the rear calipers. Nothing's specifically says front pads.

Are any of you running slotted rotors or even some of those "ABT" rotors off eBay? Are the eBay ones any good? I'll probably just put a stock replacement rotor on the rear.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone verify if the maxima rear brackets/280zx brakes and rotors will fit under the 14" mini-mag wheels? I mocked mine up and it appears to fit, but would feel better about going forward with this swap by hearing from someone that already did it. I want to keep the stock alloy rims, so if this set up does not work then I will stick with the drums. thanks. 

• 2 months later...

I need help and apparently am too new to make a new topic. I have a 75 280 that I've swapped an 83 booster and mc to. Since I'm using the stock proportioning valve it seems the chamber for front and rear are backwards on the 83 compared to the stock is this correct? Also for the life of me I cannot get one of the lines seated into the master cylinder. When I tighten it it leaks u der pressure. This is a bran new line pre fabed from autozone. The stock was replaced for the very same reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Something I'd like to know about the boosters, since it's not covered a lot on the first post.

What we learn from it is : the 280ZX MC is compatible with a 240Z stock booster

I'm gonna change the booster with the MC on my 240, and I don't want to use a 280ZX booster, 'cause I don't want to drill the firewall of my car.

is it compatible with a 280Z booster or should I stick to a stock 240Z booster, cause I don't gain much from swapping a 240Z booster for a 280Z one?

is there anything particular to do to make those boosters fit to the 240Z body? (like drill holes)

thx!

Edited by Interceptor

• 1 year later...

Wussup guys Im having an issue with my brakes. Ive been searching but cannot seem to find what I am looking for. Sorry if its a little long.

I have a 1978 280z. Went to take it out for a little drive around the block just to get it running and making sure everything still works. When I pulled out of the driveway when a few feet and my brakes were almost non existent. The pedal became very hard to push and barely stopping the car even when going 10mph. So I decided after researching that the master cylinder is probably going bad and mostly the brake booster needs to be replaced (Seemed like still original parts)

So I ordered a new master cylinder and brake booster from Black Dragon. Disassembled all the old parts. Mostly took out the brake booster, and left the master cylinder for now since it is still full of liquid. 

Received my parts from black dragon this weekend. Here are my issues.

Black Dragon part numbers

#64-162-Z brake booster

#64-103 Master Cylinder

1. The old nuts that went on the old master to booster, 3 of them fit but the top one. The nut cant even be screwed in. It looks like they sent me a bad part. Threads on the stud looked stripped. And even at an angle. But all other 3 nuts screwed in.

2. The new master I received has only 2 stud holes when the old master had 4 is that normal? So I said what the hell I will try and make it work. Ill just use the two vertical studs. So I just test fitted the new parts together out of the car, the master cylinder had to be wiggled in since the stud wasnt straight, and now when it slid in, theres a gap between the master and the brake booster. I dont recall there being some sort of spacer on the old master. I even tried the new master with the old booster, slid in perfect but still a gap. 

3. New brake booster looks significantly larger than OEM, Measured the rectangular indentation that fits in the firewall on the new one and the old one. The new one is larger. Will it even fit in my car?

Just frustrated because I wanted to get this done over the weekend and even ordered SS lines from MSA. And wanted to get it back on the road. Please if anyone can help me. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the modern motorsport S30 rear caliper adapter to replace my drums with 240sx calipers. I have read through many threads and I am confused. Can I use S14 rear calipers and is the parking brake bracket I would need to make for the S13 calipers the same for the S14s?

Edited by juxsa

• 1 month later...

They are the same M10 x 1.0 .

Note: do not use brake lines with banjo fittings on the Toyota caliper. The caliper is not designed for bango fittings. If used they will not seal and they will leak.

There are many options for brake lines for the Toyota swap discussed in the brake forum. Search.

• 5 months later...

Looked for the answer to my question but I Sourced a set of. Máxima brackets for the rear disk conversion. I'm wondering if the 4 lug 300zx rear rotors will also fit the 82 caliper conversion as I read the modern motorsports aftermarket bracket uses these.