HybridZ

Z vs ZX ?

Oleh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think nissan was starting to get back into their roots when the z32 came out, those things just handle so nice and when you go TT it just makes a well sorted out car. daily drivable and trackable and with the exception of the dash configuration its a very nice car.

but like 90% of 240Z owners dont think so.
thats because most of the people that own 240z's are stupid teenagers that think goin 80mph is really fast.

Both statements are incredibly obtuse.

I have/had a z of every generation. They all have different qualities but the most outstanding thing in each of them is that they are all definitely Z cars. They all have that "something" that makes them different from the rest.

Guest Neil86T

I love my Z31. Granted they are fat compared to the S30. I think all Z's, ZX's etc. are Z cars. My dad had a 77 280z when I was young and my unlces had 280s and z31s too. I love them all.

Nissan's own book Datsun 280ZX is worth reading in regard to any S30/S130 discussion, there is a lot on the design approach used, plus the problems faced with crash and anti pollution requirements. Dynamically the S130 was designed to be superior to the S30, there is info on that aspect as well.

Currently the S130 compared with the S30 seems to suffer from a lack of restoration and modification input, there is just not the willingness by enthusiasts to put the effort and money into a S130, relatively speaking.

Anyway my $ is where my mouth is, we'll see how a certain project turns out ;)

• 1 year later...

The way I look at it everyone is going to have their own opinions and look at the S30 and S130 a different way. It's really like that with anything, especially with cars. In my opinion I like both the cars 240Z-280Z's AND the 280ZX's. I like to look at things from other peoples point of views, and of course mine as well, to help me better understand whats good and whats not. I have had both a 280Z and my current car a 280ZX. Like said in my opinion I like them both. They both have there pros and cons as with anything does. As for 90% of 240Z car owners being teenagers, Im going to have to go with biohazard on this one and agree that there are alot of 240Z owners with some of the cleanest Z's Ive seen and with just knowing that you gotta think they have to know what they are doing eh??

Wow this thread brings back some memories. I last posted back in 2005 in here!

Now that I've owned a S30 for quite a while, and I've had a S130 down to literally nothing I can say with a lot of certainty that I could get a daily driven 280ZX down to 2500 pounds while keeping the stereo, heat, AC, power windows, carpet, sound dampening, etc. If I make a "street" 280ZX that was completely gutted and dashless like some people like to drive thier S30 I think I could get the weight down bellow 2200, or darn close. That's within spitting distance of 240Z potential, and the S130 platform has lots of benefits, other than looks...

I think to some level I still contend that if smog wasn't an issue in cali, I'd be much more interested in having a S130 project car opposed to a S30 project car.

I still love my 75' though.

On the question of weight a friend of mine has a 260Z with a RB30ET engine, I have a 280ZX shorty with a VG30DET engine. Otherwise both are similar in spec.

And do you know what? They both weigh the same even though the ZX has considerably more interior space.

• 2 weeks later...

well while this thread has already been bumped again I though id note that the zx was only called a zx in the US release correct?

The japanese models were still a 280z?

I just thought it was funny seening all the people argue about how it wasnt just a Z anymore! who cares, and the nissan/datsun still called it a z!.. most of that arguing on the threads linked to this post not directly here so don't take offense anyone please!

Considering the engine stayed the same, id say nissan probably would have called this a 290z or similar... if they changed engines, but they didnt. There is an obvious change in body style, but that doesnt mean a mustang is not a mustang, even though the 80s mustangs were terrible and looked nothing like the older or newer ones.

I love my zx, and the random chrome bits are only on the 2 seater, granted people dont like the 2+2 as much, but there is full chrome trim around the quarter windows on a 4 seater. And I think the trim on the doors/fenders that most people remove actually compliment the 2+2 model well. But thats just my .02

Modified 2+2s are hard to come by though, and people dont like the rear end look as much, but even a 2+2 model is lighter than any production corvette.. dont quote me on that, but i know they are ligther than almost all, even about the same weight as the light package z06. And lighter than most sports cars similar in style, sure if you want to be almost as light as a honda or other small ricer then you might need a 240 to get there.

My opinion on the zx and the reason I like it is because its still got the older z style in it, to some degree, not as "boxy" as the z31, which is what I think failed most 80s sports cars... but the s130 was still sleek, and as stated before, better aerodynamics than a s30.

I would consider this the first well designed "Luxury" sports car. and thats how nissan may have adverstised it, but as said before, what sports car these days DOESNT have all the features the 280zx has? barely any. This was just the first time it was introduced in a z.. just as every other manuf. did it for their models.. just a few years later maybe.