HybridZ

Z vs ZX ?

Oleh

I have owned both a S30 and a S130. Of the two, the S30 was faster (both have 355 sbc) but I prefer driving the S130 I presently own because of the creature comforts (I'm getting soft in my advanced age). As for weight, my 79 ZX is only 69 pounds heavier than my 77 Z was. I believe that is due to the 700R4 (ZX) vs the TH350 (Z).

I think that is probably also because 260/280z's were not that much lighter than 280zx's.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is probably also because 260/280z's were not that much lighter than 280zx's.

Right Chris.

I've read that the '79 280ZX was actually a few pounds LIGHTER than the '78 280Z it replaced. But, like the S30, the S130 also gained weight throughout it's production run.

The real deal on Z's is that unlike most other cars, i.e. the Corvette, the Camero, or the Mustang, the objective of the car seemed to change with each generation. You can argue that the S130 and the Z31 had the same objective but in that case the mechanicals, the looks, and the proportions changed drasticly.

The 350Z has made an honest attemp to get back to the orignal purpose of the first Z car.

The 240's will always have a special quality. And their owners know it. (wink) That said, there's a rather special Z31 I've got my eye on.

Well I have owned and driven several models of S30's, S130's, and Z31's. They are all slightly different, yet have some level of similarities.

My S30 280Z was my first and is still my fav. While it was in the shop one season, I drove a limited ed 84 300zxt 50th anniversary car. (pewter/black two tone) It was the first car i ever drove that made me actually think about selling my 280z! Decent handling, power, and very comfortable compared to my 280.

I would say they are all Z's.. they are just an evolution of design. The 240 is sporty for the young crowd, then they bring out the 280zx for the same crowd that is slightly older, and wishes more luxury, then they bring out the Z31's for the same reason..to keep up with their growing/aging market. Now you can pick and choose your model of Z to fit your lifestyle! Not too bad of a deal.

I have owned multiple Z's at once, and found that each filled different purposes.

Ok and now I have blended a couple together to pick up some of the benefits of each. Now I have a Z that is truely meant for me!!!

I've said it before, but I really didn't like the 280zx until I saw some of the cars on this site. When I bought my 280zx parts car, I had a chance to drive it around a bit and it was a hell of a lot more comfortable than my 280z, but felt like a dog even with the turbo. I wouldn't mind having a '89 300zxt either, I've seen a couple of really nices ones.

The principal appeal of the 70-78 S30 series is their kinship to 50’s-60’s sports cars; styling, simplicity, emphasis on performance vs. comfort, and other aspects associated with such sports cars. Never mind that newer members of the Z family in many cases had superior performance out of the box; it’s more a question of association, of flavor, and of aesthetics. It’s the change in flavor that causes many S30 fans to thumb their noses at the newer Z’s.

The 280ZX suffers from a particular trough of prestige because it’s a transitional car; not quite old enough or pure enough or simple enough to be a “classicâ€, yet not quite hi-po or high-tech enough to be a modern car.

I've always loved the styling of the 280ZX. i liked the long hood and clean lines. it was the best looking japanese sports car to come out of the early 80's, blending look of its predosesor and moving forward to the styling of the modern day japanese sports car. to say that the S130 isnt a "classic" id have to disagree. the car has a timeless look to it that will never grow old.

Wow so, that thread ended in disaster! I acctually agree with alot of what RCNSC said though, except his manner in going about it was too bold/blunt for my tastes. I am of course biased towards the 240z, as I can understand that many are biased towards the 280zx or whatever they own. But it is important that we all just step back and see what fits the desired role best. If you want a light, quick, super sporty ride, or a racer with a distinct sacrifice in comfort get a 240z. If you are more into cruising, plush interior, creature comforts, but would like to mash it too, and aren't concerned about the fastest speeds and best handleing get a 280zx. The styling is totally up to the individual though. While i believe most people can agree a 240z looks generally nicer then a 280zx, it doesn't make it true for everyone. Personally I like the 240z more, but the 280zx has grown on me alot and hits a sweet spot the 240z doesn't. I still probably would never buy one because I am not intrested in comfort what so ever, but I can appreciate that they were great cars for their time and still are very good cars.

If you look at SCCA racing and the like, the ZX didn't see anything close to the success of the Z. Like I said, different emphasis.

Maybe not in SCCA, they sure cleaned up for 5 years straight in IMSA GTU and GTO:

img614.jpg

I would say the 280ZX's success in racing was very close to what the 240Z achieved.

Guest Forum_lurker

^Yeah that Electramotive 280zx is insane!!! It had well over 600HP in its day!! I hear it still runs strong as ever....

Here is some history on that car....

http://www.a2zracer.com/page82.html

http://zhome.com/History/Electramotive/DevTrubo.htm

I love 280zx just as much as any other Z... I have an 82 turbo and love!! My first Z car that have owned....

Maybe not in SCCA' date=' they sure cleaned up for 5 years straight in IMSA GTU and GTO:

[img']http://www.a2zracer.com/img614.jpg[/img]

I would say the 280ZX's success in racing was very close to what the 240Z achieved.

I always thought SCCA production racing is a better indication of what the stock platform can do with a couple of guys like us working on it, and IMSA a better indication of what a team of engineers with hundreds of thousands of dollars can do. Is that accurate?

Guest 81na ZX
I always thought SCCA production racing is a better indication of what the stock platform can do with a couple of guys like us working on it, and IMSA a better indication of what a team of engineers with hundreds of thousands of dollars can do. Is that accurate?

I personally have to wonder why there wasn't the success in the s130. With an almost identical suspension to the 510, which was very successfull, it seems natural that the s130 would have done well...

I will have to point out that the vette did change missions mid life. The Stingray/C3 is definatly not a pure sports car, but a muscle car with a racing heriatege. But, IMHO, with the C4 GM brought balance back into the car, and we know the racing success of the C5.