HybridZ

The ugly ZX B pillar plastic or stainless

EZ-E

I dont know about most, but for me the Bpillar stainless on the ZX to me is very gawdy and I really dont care for it. Mine did have the plastic, which someone was so nice o to rip off for me.

So I had purchased some of the stainless covers for that area instead. Painted them a satinblack, and well they look decent but still the whole scheme of it is out of place.

Its like something that doesnt belong on the car, but when removed the area really looks like crap to put it in a light term. Without them it looks ugly with them it looks ugly.

So I was thinking if anyone has any sort of photoshop skills, that could possibly help, or well also in this sense looking for ideas of how to fill that area and still look good without having to have that piece on the car.

I was thinking of molding a piece of metal into that area, to blend the car together there as looking to be one solid piece instead of something that can be removed, as i said before, a flat piece there doesnt seem to fit the bill.

The other thing im looking at as well is and I dont think that I can do much with this is the drip rail sort of that is attached to the t-tops, I would like it to look more flush if I could.

Any suggestions anyone or some constructive critisms?

Thanks.

The main issue is that the pillar is 100% on it's own just floating there. There's not a single line on the car that gives that little piece some symetry.

I've been looking for an alternative for this puzzling little section of the ZX. Maybe I'll start up some photo projects I was working on now that you've mentioned it.

I'm currently trying to 3d model a ZX with the body i'm going for, but it's proving difficult making the little desisions. I hope to have some good 1st draft renders in a month or so. We'll see what I've decided about the B-pillar by then... hopefully...

I like the B pillar - quarter window line but, yes, that bit of SS trim does look out of place and the chrome trim above the door goes nowhere.

How would the car look with the chrome trim simply removed. This works on S30's, providing the gutter paint is OK. On replacing the B pillar SS trim, would it be possible to make something up out of a suitable piece of metal mesh screwed in place?

Here is a picture of my first Z car a 1979 280ZX. It had a wide strip of metal across the roof that connected the two side pieces of aluminum nicely. By the way, I have always liked the side treatment of the ZX. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

my_79ZX001.JPG

Here is my second ZX that I owned. This car was a real beauty I wish I would have kept it.

my_z001.JPG

See that is what I am saying if it is like flattened it looks out of place. If it was a slick top Im sure it would be much easier to take care of and make to look more unilateral, but it is proving difficult.

I do like the line of my ZX it is just that the B pillars seem to be so out of place on the car like it was an after thought.

There has to be a way to blend it together. Like 260DET said, "that bit of SS trim does look out of place and the chrome trim above the door goes nowhere." I totally agree with this statement.

Maybe something will come up keep the ideas coming and thanks for all your ideas so far.

See that is what I am talking about, I would like to make it more flush, getting rid of the heavy chrome trim line and the little one above the Bpillar cover. Being that it has Ttops Im thinking that I will have a hard time trying to complete this, and in the end if I do find something that works well, it will end up looking like the Z31's B pillar.

Not to mention that the stainless ring around the windshield, is also tied into the whole lot and it would be hard to change that as well to anything that would look nice on the car.

Decisions decisions.

Well, you could always use the black trim from an 83 model. Of course that wouldn't do anything for the size of the B pillar trim, but it would allow you to black out the stainless and still have it match. They do sell a blackout tape made for this purpose, but as far as the sizes of things, you're gonna be hard pressed to fabricate anything smaller that is still functional or works to make the lines flow smoother.

Im sure I could cut the trim from around the t-top and seal it so that it would not leak and would still be functional, as well as remove the bpillar trim, but what is left is the heavy stainless ring around the windshield.

I wouldnt know how to replace that with something smaller or something that doesnt stick out as much if you get what Im trying to say.

I love the lines of my ZX, I would just like the spots that stick out to flow more, kind of like what a lot do to the S30, removing the drip rail, and smoothing out the lines from front to back.

Just makes for me at least, a cleaner looking car.