HybridZ

How does a 1987 supra turbo compare to a 1984 300zx turbo?

Okay Z

Well no luck finding a replacement Z around MI[that I can afford] and fixing mine will take time,[probly a long time]and I found a 1987 turbo supra

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO_W0QQitemZ4643564885QQcategoryZ6447QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am wondering if I should get it,I ,loved my Z and was wondering does anybody know how it compares?The specs I looked up say at stock the supra and Z have the about the same Hp,230 bhp[supra]and 200bhp[Z]but with a boost controller and some other basic mods the Z climbs to 250 RWHP,can you do the same type of easy and affordable mods to the supra to get the about the same[or more power] as the Z?Also with the Z I can probly afford the mods to make it hit about 400RWHP,how hard would it be to get a mkIII to get that power,and could I afford it?

How is the supras handling?that is one thing everybody loves about the Z is how they handle like there on rails,how is the MKIII?

The other thing is weight,The MKIII weighs a bit more 3500lbs vs the Zs 3100 lbs but that shouln't matter a lot should it ?.

Also the Z's are tough almost bullet proof,how is the MKIII?I asume it's almost bullet proof since it's made by toyota but Just asking.

They both seam about equal to the specs I have seen[i am not going to go crazy and try to get 800 RWHP or anything like that,but I figure if anybody knows you guys would know.

Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it had an turbo I6,the reason I asked here instead of the I6 forum is becouse the only Z I have had or rode in was the z31,which as you know has a v6,I'm using the z31 as a benchmark to judge the supra.so how does it compare in performance,upgradeabilty,and handling?

Thanks.

The MkIII is a very reliable fun yet HEAVY car.

First major mod is to replace the headgasket w/ a metal one... then it can be even more fun...

I agree... Heavy car.. they handle fairly well for their weight though.

I've known a couple people that have had them with no major problems other than high mileage.

My arch nemesis has an 83 celica supra, an 89 mkIII turbo, and an SRT-4 neon, and the only car he can keep on the road is the neon. I'm not generalizing about the cars, I like both of them (did you guys know that the fender flares from an early celica supra look decent on the z if you put the back ones on the front and vice versa? Not as good as the zg flares, but cheaply available in the boneyard) but he's always having boost related driveablilty problems. From intercooler pipes blowing off, to headgasket issues (three fel-pros in the last two years, don't think he's tried metal). I suspect this is more due to the fact that he's trying to support three money pit cars and can't afford to "do it right the first time," But in the two years or so I've known him, the 89 has been driveable for maybe three weeks total. no exageration.

Not at all...check your stats...and don't get upset by that fact there are more powerful engines than the one in your '84 ZX.

You said the VG dosnt even compare, thats very ignorant. Stock vs. stock the engines make similar power with the 7M slightly higher due to the higher boost settings. Once modified both are very responsive and can make gobs of power, both are very similar in power potential. And from what I know the VG is more reliable.

You said the VG dosnt even compare, thats very ignorant. Stock vs. stock the engines make similar power with the 7M slightly higher due to the higher boost settings. Once modified both are very responsive and can make gobs of power, both are very similar in power potential. And from what I know the VG is more reliable.

I am choosing to not get into a pi$$ing contest with you..if you feel that strongly about your VG good on you.

Firstly who leaves their car stock?

Secondly look at the hard facts....

VG is a SOHC 12V engine

7M is a Twin Cam 24valve engine even has coil packs.

Engines make power in their heads, and the 7M has a Yamaha designed head and make great power because of this.

7M have a HG problem everyone knows this, change to a HKS MHG and Bob's your uncle.

Did you check out http://www.7mpower.com site....? Look at this section and I would like to hear your thoughts:

http://www.7mpower.com/top10.shtml

VGs can be made to make reasonably good power as well but sorry not in the same league as the 7M. Heck VG turbos are not even intercooled! The L28 has about the same power potential as the VG, so I would compare the L28 to the VG.

Its like comparing the L28 to the RB2526.

We agree to disagree.

Have a nice day!

Yasin

VGs can be made to make reasonably good power as well but sorry not in the same league as the 7M. Heck VG turbos are not even intercooled! The L28 has about the same power potential as the VG' date=' so I would compare the L28 to the VG.

[/quote']

I would have to totally agree with Yasin on this one, I would be more inclined to side with the 7M over the VG anyday.

BUT, the Supra Chassis does leave me wanting more. I cant really say I've driven a Z31 or Supra long enough or hard enough to give a adamant opinion on each, but right off the bat I would take weight into consideration...maybe a Z31 with the 7M transplant? now that would be cool :)

the vg is a great motor , with a dyi port job on the heads and a decent sized turbo , you can make 400whp and rev it to 7k rps all day long , this with a stock block and just a mild porting on the heads , stock cooling,ignition,just about everything else stock except for fuel supllement ,an intercooler and a decent turbo ... you leave everything else stock and you can do this for years ... jason84na2t which is registered in here is making over 400rwhp on 15.8 psi (if you want to learn more about his car go to his website redz31.com) and there is people making over 600 rwhp , i dont know how many people with supra can say that and frankly the older supras are uglier....

well i just looked at that supra site and i must say i am a bit impressed i didnt give them that much credit , but still i bet the high number guys have really bad spooling , and isnt the 7mgte whatever something like a 2.5 liter? , the vg with the extra displacement should make it a better candidate for a big turbo. another thing is that the electramotive car that ran imsa back in the 90's used vg blocks , totally works head and everything and they were running over 900 hp out of rthose things revving to 9000rpms in endurance races , its true that in the later years they ran aluminum blocks , and alot of the stuff in those motor ware one off masterpieces , but i havent heard of any race team running 7mgte's ..

overall i think pound for pound the vg is a better contender. for instance , the best headgasket for a vg is the stocker or a copper one (we have no other choice) that would need the block to be o-ringed, the stock headgaskets have been known to hold up 30psi of boost , why do these supra motors headgaskets suck so bad???. you can make more power for less , and dont have to do much stuff to the bottom end to make a huge amount of power , theres not that much aftermarket so theres no big brand expensive crap to buy and waste money on . there has been alot of inovation with the z31 lately and people making theyre own parts and mass producing them because most are no longer available , i myself plan to make just about 400whp with a couple of bolt-ons and enjoy driving the crap out of the car with very little turbo lag thanks to a holset turbo and some bosch injectors, some pretty porting and a gutted intake plenum... there isnt great feedback fior z31's on this site , i mostly lurk around looking at some of you guys cool s30 with rb's and stuff , but if you go to any z31 specific site(except for zcar.com) you will see that the information to make beasts out of these vg's is out there...

I am choosing to not get into a pi$$ing contest with you..if you feel that strongly about your VG good on you.

Firstly who leaves their car stock?

Secondly look at the hard facts....

VG is a SOHC 12V engine

7M is a Twin Cam 24valve engine even has coil packs.

Engines make power in their heads' date=' and the 7M has a Yamaha designed head and make great power because of this.

7M have a HG problem everyone knows this, change to a HKS MHG and Bob's your uncle.

Did you check out www.7mpower.com site....? Look at this section and I would like to hear your thoughts:

http://www.7mpower.com/top10.shtml

VGs can be made to make reasonably good power as well but sorry not in the same league as the 7M. Heck VG turbos are not even intercooled! The L28 has about the same power potential as the VG, so I would compare the L28 to the VG.

We agree to disagree.

Have a nice day!

Yasin

Those 7M #'s arnt really impressing me. We have VGs in the same power levels, heck there was a 280Z running a VG30ET with over 800RWHP. Several other Z31 guyz are at the 600+RWHP level. The engine isnt intercooled because it runs VERY nominal boost levels so being non intercooled it allows the engine to spool the turbo instantly with virtually no lag. Both engines can make 500+RWHP on the stock block. The VG and 7M are very similarly matched power potential wise, though the 7M being a heavier and more problem proned motor from my past expieriences.

Well I gues it sounds like both are great cars so I guess it depends on which I find I can afford first.I'ts like choosing between 2 super models,both are great you might prefer one a little bit more but you get the other you'r still happy.

The supras are going for too much money,[damn f&F movie]I still might get one but I kinda like the Z better,I never rode in a supra but,everbody says the Z is a lighter more nimble car,even the supra guys say the Z's are more nimble,and handle great,the supra with stock suspention they say handles a little like a dump truck at high spead in comparison,and like everybody says the supra is a heavy car,so the Z being lighter should be a bit easier to get to go fast.

I am not thinking of going for super high hp numbers and doing extensive work and modding [most people think the supra has an edge when trying to get crazy high hp numbers but I can't afford to get to that point] ,I can afford to maybe get in the 350-400RWHP[in the future,now I can't afford much over stock]so I guess I'll try for a Z unless I find a supra close and Affordable,Now who whants to sell me there Z?

Guest ZFury

86' ZX NA in Arkansas, lot of work in it, but I am going to sell it just before I did any big HP up grades. It is ready for them though.

5-12-06.jpgpaintedside.jpg

I have a few thousand in car & parts. And very few miles on those parts. All new audio, yadayadayada (tryin' not to hyjack this thread). Just gotta' get my money and a little time back out of this car. Lotta' documentation of work with pics. I should be putting it up for sale in around a week. Plus it will probably have an MSD box in it by then too. I have decided to go with another car, older carbed car...