HybridZ

Should I be using teflon tape on AN fittings?

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

I'm in the process of plumbing my fuel cell and I was wondering should I be using teflon tape or something else to make sure the connections don't leak or should I just be leaving them bare?

Typically teflon tape is not recommended fpr fuel system fittings. Why, because if allowed to enter into the fuel system it can clog things up.....like pumps, regulators, jets......! If you are using flared AN fittings, they require no sealant. They seal via the flares. The threads on a flared fitting do not create the seal. However, if you are installing a NPT fitting it can be used provide you don't apply the tape to the first three thread (an aircraft requirement IIRC). This practice is some insurance that the teflon tape doesn't get into the working system. A good alternative to the teflon tape is teflon pipe dope but, the same applies about not allowing it to get into the working system. Hope this clears the air a bit!

Tom

No on the AN fittings. Yes on the NPT side of adapters that let you connect AN fittings to objects that have non-AN threaded openings.

Agreed. As others have mentioned the AN side will seal itself. However, you should be sure to use some sort of lubricant on the AN threads to keep the aluminum from galling. I generally use 3-in-1 oil, others use a few drops of motor oil - just be sure you use something suitable for aluminum.

Guest TegRacer324

Eh crap my return line is leaking at the sump. Looks like I'll try putting some oil on the threads and tightening them up again. Hopefully that stops it.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this one back, but the leak is back and this is the only thread that covers the topic of thread sealant on the fuel rail(on the google search).

Is there now a consensus on what works long term?

I can tell you that white thread tape does not and red locktite doesn't las long either. What is PST?

If you have an NPT type fitting that is leaking, you have a few options

1 just try tightening the fitting.

2 take it apart, clean and inspect the threads on both parts, use teflon tape on the male threads, two wraps of the tape in the direction that will not unwind the tape as the fitting is inserted. If applied correctly, it will not get in the fuel system. The tape ends up inbetween the threads and stays there.

3 replace the fittings.

good luck

Don't use the white Teflon tape, use the yellow thats rated for gas. Are you really asking about PST or do you mean TFE? Either way if it it properly threaded BPT or SPT it shouldn't leak once tight.. I made my own rail with SPT and it sealed perfectly after tightening the fittings. That was for the barbed injector fittings and for the ends I welded on AN fittings.

AN (or JIC) fittings are flared and require no sealant. Also take special note not to overtighten the fittings. They take a lot less torque than you might think to seal. You can overtighten and ruin them easily by galling the flared surface of the male side.

As for NPT fittings, I use Loctite on the 3-4th threads of the male fitting before assembly. I imagine you could also use suitable RTV. Also take care not to overtighten an NPT fitting. They are flared slightly such that if you overtighten them they can actually split the walls of the female side.

- Greg -

Instead of using tape how about PST on the NPT side of the fitting? Seems like it might be less likely to clog something in the fuel system, be it injector or pump or filter...

On all our equipment, PST is the ONLY allowable sealant for tapered threads. If I go to a site and see teflon tape on ANY of the joints, I am to note it specifically as to location & condition, inform the customer that he is to remove the affected fittings and redope with PST 597 or equivalent (High Strength PST preferably) and if they refuse, get them to sign a release of liability before proceeding with ANY further work.

This has caused much friction in the past.

FWIW, I prefer the PST because you don't really need the torque and thread deformation inherent in Teflon/Tapered Thread systems. I find I can make up and remake NPT connections several times without galling, including on stainless steel when using PST as opposed to Tape. The idea of sealing without torquing the hell out of it appeals to me. As always, read the instructions, I find when I clean the fittings and use the primers recomended on some of the fittings...and then give them adequate set time before pressurizing the system it's amazing how little fitting installation torque is required to keep considerable pressures at bay!

There are small copper and aluminum washers (Dead soft annealed) from the Cryogenic Industry out there floating around that crush on the face of the A/N 37 Degree Taper that allow for reclamation of a damaged fitting without removing it from the installation, as well as allowing for more thermal expansion without possible leakage---that is the only thing I have ever seen allowed in the 37 Degree Tapered Joint of the A/N Fitting...

NAVAIR 1-1A-15, USAF T.O. 1-1A-15.... Oh the hours spent referring to those texts when dealing with just this subject! LOL

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
On all our equipment, PST is the ONLY allowable sealant for tapered threads. If I go to a site and see teflon tape on ANY of the joints, I am to note it specifically as to location & condition, inform the customer that he is to remove the affected fittings and redope with PST 597 or equivalent (High Strength PST preferably) and if they refuse, get them to sign a release of liability before proceeding with ANY further work.

Tony,

I did some searching on the PST 597 without much luck. Google, McmasterCarr, etc. The closest thing I could find is a Loctite product 592.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:PhdwvMWOHzIJ:www.barnhillbolt.com/specs/loctite592tds.pdf+%22pst+592%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari

http://rshughes.com/products/079340_59231.html

Is 592 interchangeable for our purposes?

Thanks,

Might have been 567...mistype or dyslectic moment... Too dark out now to go look at the tube.

Yeah, went and checked your site, and searched on 567: it's 567---400F rating for hot engines and compressors! There also is some 'high strength' stuff out there for permanent installations that will SEAL AND STICK---you will play hell trying to get the fittings out without heating them to relieve the selant's grip!

http://rshughes.com/products/079340_56747.html

I don't know that I'd use 592, that slow cure stuff takes forever to set up!