HybridZ

Wtf Did I Race Tonight?!?!?!?

240ZR

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is that page about how crappy street racing is?

Who ever made it did the math and...if someone takes off early enough before you do, you have very little to no chance of keeping up , catching up, and especially passing, unless you have a monstrous amount of power over the other person....

does anyone know the page i'm talking about? i've been after it for a while ....

I wrote most of it along with another BMW guy. Its on my webpage - if you saw it elsewhere, they took it w/o permission.

-Bob

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/streetracing.html

Guest Crispy Chicken

I don't really think it matters how quick any rx8 is. They have got to be one of the ugliest cars ever made. I get nauseous and throw up every time I see one. The fact is we can make anything quick. Might as well be something cool. Just my opinion though.

Derek

Since i got in the military I've upgraded my SBC a lot....

AFR 195cc Street Heads

Hydraulic roller with 0.509 inch intake / 0.528 inch exhaust lift and 222 degree intake / 230 degree exhaust duration at 0.050 tappet lift

FelPro 1010 Head Gasket (0.039")

Edelbrock Victor Jr. single plane intake manifold

Holley Blue Fuel Pump

Mallory Magneto Ignition system

that's the major things off the top of my head right now...

as for loss of power It might be, I stopped using octane booster..but I don't know it still a very quick car around, i think i would notice any significant power loss. For Christs sake its an Pink Motor.... (www.edpink.com) As for was it an Rx-8.... I am sure it was an RX-8.. no other production car is that ugly (except the Aztec)......

So i guess Lesson learned? I am not the Fastest thing on 4 wheels, there will always be a guy who has more money, more time, and more power then me, and i need to grow up and deal with it and stop racing the rice....

(just a side note.... the reason i don't take it to the track is, my insurance will be cancelled if they find out its a "race car", according to my agent if they can prove its been raced on a track, then they wont insure it b/c their insurance dose not cover race cars... or something like that... scream BS all you want I've got a butt load of money into my car, and would like to keep my car insurance :P )

I would like to open up a public fee for hire track that was designed to look like a city street complete with big potholes and old american cars randomly jetison out onto the track. The kicker is I would change it up constantly and sometimes throw tire puncturing debris or sand onto the course.

My question is: Do think anyone racing on the course would sue me if they crashed and damaged their car or got injured?

I like it. Where do I sign?

That would have to be more RX-8 than I've ever seen in person to beat even a mild 350 swap in a Z. I drove my Aunt's, and it was a blast to hit a cul-de-sac on power, but it wasn't very quick in my opinion. Is this Amir that Jmortensen keeps throwing out the car that Johnc put the 20b motor in? Now THAT would be a fast RX-8!

I'm in agreement that the RX-8 is one of the uglier ducklings on the streets these days, but for certain people that just makes building a fast one all the sweeter. The uglier your car, the better the look on the other guy's face. My old 280 was NASTY looking, not in a good way. I had the stock L28 with the stock fuel injection, but the hood that was on the car was bent up from getting stomped on by a horse. I replaced it with a rust oxide primered hood that was pinned on, and NOBODY wanted to race that car. I have to assume it was due to the fact it was loud as all getout, and looked like a serious attempt at a junkyard dog sleeper. Well, one day a guy in a Knight Rider body TA decided he wanted to go, and I ran away from him right from the start. I couldn't believe it. Must have been a 305 model, because my Z was a high 15second car on a good day...

Is this Amir that Jmortensen keeps throwing out the car that Johnc put the 20b motor in? Now THAT would be a fast RX-8!

Yep. Turbo 20B. Same guy that had the blue SR20 240Z that John Coffey did the engine swap in. He'd likely blow the doors off of a mild V8 240Z...

You have nice heads, the cam isn't that big and what is the compression? If you really want to be fast, it isn't going to be that streetable, you just have to have your priorities. I'm going to guess that if that's a 350, your around 400ish FWHP and about 300rwhp.

That sounds about right, its streetable.... I belive my compression last check is around 10.4:1 or so... its fast enough to keep up with 90% of Domestics and Imports so i am happy... I have come to the realization its not a Ferrari.

Once i get all my stuff put on at beta motorsports Ill be rocking the autocross tracks...

LoL John C is selling me parts and building my Kryptonite...... John seriously no more scary RX-8 stuff

(just a side note.... the reason i don't take it to the track is, my insurance will be cancelled if they find out its a "race car", according to my agent if they can prove its been raced on a track, then they wont insure it b/c their insurance dose not cover race cars... or something like that... scream BS all you want I've got a butt load of money into my car, and would like to keep my car insurance :P )

[/color]

You're not the only one this has happened to. I've read on several sites where guys have taken their cars to the track to race them, only to receive cancellation notices in the mail with PICTURES of their car (with tag on it) at the track... Recommendation is that once you get to the track, pull the tag OFF the car and don't put it back on until you leave the track...

Or discuss with your agent another agreement... All insurance coverage does not include racing at the track...

Mike

Along the lines of the insurance racing thing, I heard that Mitsubishi was proactively cancelling warranties on new Evo VIIIs by comparing registered entries in local events to registered owners of new Evo's, and when that person would come in for premature failures of parts, they would be informed that their warranty was void. Mitsubishi denies this, but the article was accompanied by a personal story of a guy who had his stock Evo clutch explode during daily driving, but because he had driven in auto-x event in the car (even though it was all stock), he no longer had a warranty.

Yea same with Sabaru I've herd....... I can't take a chance on loosing insurance or what not.... or wrecking the car and them telling me well part x failed b/c you raced the car, so we are letting the person you hit sue you with no insurace protection..... or what ever

Pretty Concerning...What if the car was raced before you bought it, by this logic car companies and insurance companies wouldn't care who the owner was - only the car history.

These companies spend a lot of money promoting a racy sporty image and sponsoring racing, so this seems nuts at best, disingenuine a least.

Yea same with Sabaru I've herd....... I can't take a chance on loosing insurance or what not.... or wrecking the car and them telling me well part x failed b/c you raced the car, so we are letting the person you hit sue you with no insurace protection..... or what ever

By that argument, Then you should look at the risk you're taking street racing, which will be much greater if you're caught...

Damn, you made me reverse my previous post... Bottom line is you have to weigh the rewards and the risks... And being enlisted, you've got a LOT to lose... Your car is just one of the many things at risk...

Mike