HybridZ

I finished my RB26 240Z

I've browsed this forum for years. It was pictures of Stony's RB build up that made the idea so compelling. Last year, on Oct 23, 2005, I broke my race-prepped L28. I had been kicking around the idea of building an RB26 "some day" but this provided the needed excuse. I'm finished now and happy to show the car to everyone. A project like this isn't for the faint of heart (or wallet). Read the story on my site:

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/iWeb/Site/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/iWeb/Site/Z-car.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

WoW Youre car is awesome!!! Another of my inspiration in building the badass RB26 Z car. Great write up of the build up and nice photo shots. I like how the motor sits in the engine bay, what kind of mounts did you guys use?

Stay in forum i might have some questions for you down the road as probably other too.

Great Job!

Mike

It's mostly a track car but it manages to slip through state inspection so it's street legal. It's overall a reasonable car on the street but like so many Z's it stinks to hell of fuel. I'm planning on working on the fuel map to try and help this a bit. 1k injectors need alot of attention.

My big to-do is the rear-end. It has the ZX CV solution but there's something still wrong about it. Too much clunk and bang. I'm hoping Dave at Arizona Z car finish his long-promised custom rear-end.

Mark,

Excellent car - when mine gets running, we'll have to meet up at TWS and wring them out together. I should make it up to Austin on a somewhat regular basis since my sister and her husband live there, (we'll be down in Corpus Christi).

I didn't see it on the site, but what engine management are you using?

I'll have you know that I have an earlier picture of your car still on my computer - it is a contributing factor to my purchase of my current '72 with its huge CCW's.

Another interesting observation - you all stood the motor straight up instead of laying it on its side as it was stock. If you notice my mock up photos here:

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/enginefrontsmall.jpg

The breather is right in front of the hood latch area. I may end up killing all the hood latch items since I have hood pins and re-fabing the motor mount lower and back to move it to a better location. However, right now, I just want it running!

Great conversion - top notch work for sure. I'm jealous you have a running example and mine is sitting in the garage looking pretty but nothing more.

on edit - what did you do for an oil pan? Do you have any pictures?

-Bob

If you notice my mock up photos here:

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/enginefrontsmall.jpg

The breather is right in front of the hood latch area. I may end up killing all the hood latch items since I have hood pins and re-fabing the motor mount lower and back to move it to a better location. However, right now, I just want it running!

Great conversion - top notch work for sure. I'm jealous you have a running example and mine is sitting in the garage looking pretty but nothing more.

on edit - what did you do for an oil pan? Do you have any pictures?

-Bob

Hey Bob, those breather fittings on the valve covers just twist off. I just wrapped a rag around them and used channel locks to twist back and forth. There just pressed in...

I'm using AN/pipe thread fittings on mine.

Mark, please do post up the detail photos for us all the ponder over..... we like seeing how others have tackled the common mods that have to be done for a complete install.

Thanks in advance... joel

Hey Bob, those breather fittings on the valve covers just twist off. I just wrapped a rag around them and used channel locks to twist back and forth. There just pressed in...

I'm using AN/pipe thread fittings on mine.

Mark, please do post up the detail photos for us all the ponder over..... we like seeing how others have tackled the common mods that have to be done for a complete install.

Thanks in advance... joel

Joel,

I will be changing the breather fittings eventually. Even if I replace them, they will still interfere with the hood release brace if I move it back further. We are required to have the engine in that orientation with the RB25 transmission. I'm assuming that with the 300zx tranny that he has it required the engine to be stood straight up to keep the shifter centered vertically. It is just the first time I have seen a RB positioned like that.

-Bob