HybridZ

I finished my RB26 240Z

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah- many questions...

1. engine management- an Autronic SM4- nice, lots of knobs but nobody in the states seems to know how to use it to it's fullest. Too rare.

2. The motor is sitting straight up. The custom intake runners and a custom Shifter make this possible. It was mostly an aestetic decision. But it seems fine all around.

3. Custom oil pan. That was a pain. Took a few tries to get rid of leaks. Should have bought one from mckinneymotorsports.

4. post details? many pics and story is available here:

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/iWeb/Site/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html

and here:

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/iWeb/Site/Engine%20Rebuild.html

5. Yup- the radiator and intercooler are both mounted back. Better weight distribution. Cools fine.

6. custom exaust system. all the way back.

ah- many questions...

1. engine management- an Autronic SM4- nice, lots of knobs but nobody in the states seems to know how to use it to it's fullest. Too rare.

3. Custom oil pan. That was a pain. Took a few tries to get rid of leaks. Should have bought one from mckinneymotorsports.

Mark,

Two thoughts/questions.

First, I have a reference for someone who may know a reasonable amount about the Autronic, if I remember correctly, he may be a dealer? I can send that info via PM if you wish - I'm fairly sure he's up in Dallas.

I retract that, he's in Austin. I don't have any personal experience, and he is somewhat arrogant, but I do know of people who have had success using his services for tuning.

Second, oil pan leakage? Where - flange, elsewhere? My pan is not perfectly flat and I'm afraid I'll have to deal with just that... I plan on plenty of sealant.. :mrgreen:

I do like your nicely integrated trailer hitch. If TWS and other tracks weren't so far, I'd likely do the same. However a failure of the car 3-4 hours away is what led me to purchase my trailer to begin with,(I was actually 6 hours away at a track when my BMW craped out - broken camshaft).

Last, I wasn't aware that Mckinney motorsports had a custom oilpan? Or are you refereing to the RB20 rear sump pan? Just curious what is out there as my style pan,(which Brad D and James T. built those types) and a personally modified rear sump RB pan are the only two I am aware of. I have seen the orginal cast aluminum pan modified to be a rear sump. We all run into the same issues - the pickup - the reason my motor is disassembled right now and at a fabricator shop,(getting two pickups built - one for me and one for Matt B - and no, I can't have any more made - sorry guys).

Anyways, I didn't see the oil pans on their website, just looking for further info.

I also like what you had them do with the flares - pulling them all the way down in the back. As you can see on mine, they tuck in, exposing the rear of the tire as the front of your front flares do. I had them put the 3m protective coating all over the front and a thicker one on the front of the rear flares. I may still have to put "mud flaps" or similar. Maybe I'll get the Yosemitie Sam ones! J/k guys... :)

While you can laugh now, I'm sure you have pulled your hair out a lot of times - and it is good to see someone else finish a project of my owns caliber, (although I don't expect 600+hp!). I think you can expect a few questions over the next few months from the likes of Joel and I.

-Bob

The fellow in Austin who sells them (Brian Kennedy of Dyno Dynamics) is also the one who tuned the car. He does know how to use it more or less but he's the ONLY one I've met who does. I like options.

Same guy. I wasn't sure how well he knew them, but was trying to give you options - as you pointed out. I agree, options are always better.

-Bob

Well done, nice to see another RB26 240Z.

Did you run into any ignition issues with the Autronic SM4? I used to run an SM2 with mine but have now sold it on. It used to heat up the ignitor pack (the square thing on top of the spark plug cover) really fast and cause missfire. I was told that it was due to the fact that they batch fire the rather then run sequential for the ignition.

Not sure if that caused the problem or if it was wired up wrongly.

I have run out of excuses to not finish mine (just needs another ecu and minor cosmetics) so I should get onto it shortly :)

Maybe you can make some videos of the car so we can all get warm and fuzzy over it?!