HybridZ

my q45 diff mount

cameron

they ask and shall receive!

GCR_Clients_Page_2_085.jpg

GCR_Clients_Page_2_079.jpg

GCR_Clients_Page_2_072.jpg

GCR_Clients_Page_2_078.jpg

this all started with me fooling around with some metal about a week ago and ended in what you see now. It turned out alright considering the welder I was using was a pice of S#*@, I am going to make another one for my dad becuase after he saw it he wants one now as well. I have a few more ideas for a better deign.

Ill keep you guys posted

• Like 1

Nismo280zEd- the mustache bar is from Arizona Z for the q45

joe d.- I do not yet have rear disk brakes im still at the starting stage of my build up.

Thanks to all for the comments, Im glad to see such a positive response and interest from all of you in what I have done. I am more then welling to make a few sets for people, at cost of materials and time. But first I like to R.D tests and make sure it is up for the job and second I need to get a better welder, the little old worn out Lincoln just ant cutting it anymore.

So hopefully you guys can give me a few weeks to get the ball rolling.

I slept on the idea and it still looks good to me but one concern came to mind.

The fact that the mounts, since the diff is a short nose, needs to be extended forward, would'nt that create some kinde of a lever between the diff. and the original mounting point?

And would'nt that just add to the torque multiplying effect of a diff. that just want to push up with all it's might?

What I mean is that the mounts themselfs are probably strong enough to hold the diff. in place but, maybe the hard points on the chassis itself are'nt strong enough and could get torn off.

I came to this conclusion after reading Mr. jmortensen's sticky on diffs. FAQs.

due to the torque multiplication of the diff, the forces on this front mount can get EXTREME. There can be thousands of pounds of upward force on the front of the diff that the mount has to transfer to the chassis. This is not a job for a first time welder.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116207

I also noticed in the same post, that a desing similar yours has been used but, the guy solved the leverage problem by linking the two parts of the mounts with a lenght of tubing and from that transvers "link", there is another lenght of tubing that goes upward to a plate bolted to the bottom of the tunel. I guess he probably reinforced the tunel too as the sheet is prety thin in this area.

diff_mount1_Medium_11.jpg

So, tell me what ya all think.

Thought I'd throw some pics up and see what you guys think

Sturdy little buggers for sure. Looks like it's well designed. However, after reading Alexideways last post above, he brings up a good point. Fortunately, it is easily solved (if need be) and made into one piece.

Davy

My take on this is that there is no less, and no more torque applied to the front 4 bolts than a typical long nose differential IF it is mounted solidly at the differential. In essense, both mounting points are then the same, it's just that the means of getting there is different. Important though, is whether the mounts have soft bushings in it, or if this differential mount is solid. A solid mount levers out to the 4 bolts (just as a long nose differential casing would do), which reduces the torque at the 4 bolts (much like a cheater pipe requires less force to spin something verses a short bar).

A soft mounting, on the other hand, will not lever out to the 4 bolts and may instead try to twist at the bubber bushings and at a point centered between the two bolts on each side.

It would be nice if the R230 had multiple mounting holes on the front (on each side) verses the single hole on each side. The additional vertical bar in the above photo (Alexideways) would address this issue.

Yes Im in to if you can make me one and I dont care how much it costs...Will $50,000 do it? Seriously Im in....

Terry

they ask and shall receive!

GCR_Clients_Page_2_085.jpg

GCR_Clients_Page_2_079.jpg

GCR_Clients_Page_2_072.jpg

GCR_Clients_Page_2_078.jpg

this all started with me fooling around with some metal about a week ago and ended in what you see now. It turned out alright considering the welder I was using was a pice of S#*@, I am going to make another one for my dad becuase after he saw it he wants one now as well. I have a few more ideas for a better deign.

Ill keep you guys posted

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of comments...

Terry caught something I was going to mention, but the one thing I really like about Cameron's mount that Alexideways' mount doesn't have is the double sheer on the differential point of mounting. Those double tabs will strengthen the sheer strength. I'd take Cameron's mount and incorporate the brace Alex used and get the best of both worlds, in an ideal world...

Cameron, If you can bump out an extra set, Put me on the list... I'll modify it to meet my needs, thanks! :2thumbs:

Mike

Dang, sorry all I have been lagging!!!!!!

Well I finally got a welder and then some!

GCR_Clients_Page_2_033.jpg

So, I am going to start the next step in evolution for my mounts and start cranking them out!!!

Stay tuned !!!!

Dont forget me!!!!! Im in Im in........hell Ill take two!!!!!

Terry