HybridZ

Aerodynamics DONATIONS NEEDED!!!

I am on a budget. I have a family to feed. This is a hobby. I really aford this hobby or the car. My point being, I will send a couple bucks $20, that I can spare and if we all do I think we can make it.

We succeed together and no one has to carry the whole burden, so lets join together on this venture and we can all benefit.

Jon

I am on a budget. I have a family to feed. This is a hobby. I really aford this hobby or the car. My point being, I will send a couple bucks $20, that I can spare and if we all do I think we can make it.

We succeed together and no one has to carry the whole burden, so lets join together on this venture and we can all benefit.

Jon

Well put. I will send some more today. Any one else?????

Just sent a little money...has anybody mentioned testing headlight covers and engine compartment-to-wheel well vents? (Sorry didn't feel like looking through this huge thread to see if someone mentioned it) These are both easy mods that can be done to just about any S30, so they should probably be tested.

We'll be checking the headlight cover mod for sure. However, I'm not sure if we'll be cutting into the fender/unibody for under hood pressure relief or not. It's not a mod I'd take lightly though. It's more complex to do properly and is something that takes time to undo.

Mike

What if you also test removing sidemarker lights (maybe cover holes with tape), emblems, and the antenna? Or how about different styles of hubcaps? There are also several different styles of door mirror that could affect aerodynamics. These are all little things, but they could add up...

Another interesting thing I read in a hot rod/muscle car magazine recently was that by taping a piece of cardboard to the front grill, some guys took about a tenth of a second off their quarter mile times...I'm assuming due to decreased air resistance at higher speeds near the end of the track (obviously not practical for driving long distances because of decreased radiator airflow).

I know you guys will be pressed for time in the wind tunnel, but every little tweak that could be tested would help.

Also, if we can't hit the $7000 mark for 2 full days, would it be possible to schedule 1.5 days of testing for say...$5250? Every extra hour of testing would help.

I seriously doubt these folks would consider splitting a day. Remember, we waited an extra week and ended up getting bumped by several weeks on the schedule. These folks are in very high demand and know it. We're at their mercy.

Mike

They are building a THRID Tunnel... to give you an idea of how busy they are.. The paint hasn't dried on the second tunnel yet.. and they already need a third facility...

That one is going to be the biggest and most sophisticated yet... They will have movable "traffic" in the tunnel so they can develop designs to provide more stability and are harder to draft behind...

I'll be donating today. Like so many my funds are tight especially since I'm a single dad trying to raise an expensive 11 y.o. girl AND support my addictive hobby (where's the lottery win when you need it?). Anyhow, I would like to see what happens at the rear of the car if a short (1 to 2 inches high) BRE style spoiler is attached at the upper leading edge of the rear hatch with or without a rear BRE style spoiler. Maybe someone could tape on a heavy cardboard inverted V to replicate this? My thoughts are this would disrupt the smooth transition down the hatch reducing high speed lift. It should also move the vortex further out back from the tail reducing the exhaust ingestion we are so fond of. It would look pretty darn cool too. Maybe some minature vortex generators in the same location could be tired? Please have your ducks in a row so as many variables,front and rear, can be tested in the limited time available...like I had to actually say that.

I just donated $100 to the project. It was painful as it comes out of my custom stroker piston funds (and my daughter really wants a video iPod too). That will take some time to make back up. Please try my mini BRE spoiler on the rear hatch upper lip during your testing. I am looking forward to the complete test results to come. It will make for good reading and application.

Anybody knows if a personnal check from Canada would clear in a U.S. bank, I'd really like to donate but, first, my damn PAYPAL account is locked cause I lost my credit card and second, I got layed off work, it's to slow because we don't have a winter this year and the cars just don't break so, I'm a little low funded right now but, I could spare $20.

Alex, Although I appreciate you thoughts and want to donate, Hand on to it man... If it's that tight, hang onto it... We're getting a LOT of donations support and I want to thank ALL WHO HAVE DONATED...

Also wanted to mention that I got a note offline from one of the members who will be doing the testing... MSA has agreed to send us ANY of their spoilers to test. This is a BIG DEAL and MUCH APPRECIATED. It's great to see one of the largest Zcar vendors in the US step up and offer their products for this test...

Mike