HybridZ

Post your photography!!

tfreer85

zguy, here is a surreal HDR I made of my cousin in an abandoned church. I took the series of images around six months ago and never figured out what I wanted to do with them, but this thread inspired me and here it is. The second photo is one of the seven I shot inside the church (the one with my cousin standing in, it was a super long exposure since it was shot at dusk--why it's so bright and why his hands are slightly blurred. I don't know why he couldn't stand still for so long ;) ). I added the cloak and the flare obviously and did some specular lighting effects with color filtering to get the effect. Its a quick photoshop so don't be too critical.

338984056_c55a20101b_b.jpg

338987776_88a01ddfaa_b.jpg

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

piper5177... Photomatix looks like a nice product. I've been out of digital imaging for so long that I've lost my edge, I'm afraid. I used to blend images manually and this often took many hours of painstaking tweaking. Nice images, BTW.

It'd be interesting to see what the lighting would be like at dawn/dusk. I like the feeling of texture the wood chips add. The flare could use some work but that's typical for a quick photoshop job (though it's when it comes to hours of photoshopping that I get lost and don't know what to do sometimes, relegating me to "quick jobs" that never look pro caliber).

piper5177, thats an awesome photoshop :). The Civic pictures I did on the computer, I tried using the in camera layering but it doesnt work that great. So I just downloaded the trial of Photomatrix Pro. Its really a great program, I might have to buy it :P

I just took this really quick this morning to see how one would come out during the day. I didnt use a tripod either (mine's broken).

HDRTREE.jpg

PIPER... How does Photomatix perform regarding artifacts such as noise and irregularities along contrasting edges? Any oddities regarding localized color/hue... or does the SW allow some control over this?

Thanks Mike, Photomatix saves some time definitely and if you get used to the settings can do some very nice things. I don't recommend it as a standalone though. Yeah Gollum the shaddows aren't right either they are coming from the windows instead of the light source.

Every picture is differrent and grays seem to be the hardest. The software allows a lot of adjustment so you have to play with it a little. As far as contrast and color issues, just make sure you cover the full light range in the shot and it usually isnt too much of a problem. It's hard to get black lines like powerlines or rope on sails to not cause distortion against a bright solid background like an overcast sky though. I like to have more overexposed images than under exposed images in my HDR images as it reduces the noise issues in the mid-tones, so maybe -3 EV to +5 EV on your bracketing. It depends on what you are trying to do, but the program makes it pretty easy to try different things, doesn't take hours of time and is much faster and easier than using a program like Photoshop to adjust your curves manually, though you can get some crazy results with that method. Here is the train image with the color blown out and a steep exposure curve in Photoshop using manual HDR, I wanted the train only visible in the shadows so it would be ghostly.

144702954_ddf14c1bb9_b.jpg

Just did this for someone on another thread. Yeah, I know... not exactly professional but it was a quickie just to offer a single view of many color possibilities. BTW, I didn't take the original shot... taken from the original post in that thread.

z-colors-small.gif

Some pics from the photoshoot I did tonight, all taken at the EVC campus in San Jose, CA

343900226_a4111e9240_o.jpg

343911166_0bdba245ca_o.jpg

343900229_14a4a2d94f_o.jpg

343900233_3d6fa5bf27_o.jpg

343900725_86c24992ed_o.jpg

343902222_69f3c7203d_o.jpg

343908909_fc4c8ea28f_o.jpg

Theres a few more in my Flickr, but these are my favorites. They're HDRs that I adjusted contrast, saturation and tint on (I like high contrast) except for the first and last two, which are normally exposed.