HybridZ

You know you launched hard when...

cygnusx1

This morning coming to work, I was in my WRX (stage1 about 265hp flywheel) and I needed to pull into traffic from a side road at a stop sign I wanted to merge into a tight stream of about 50mph traffic so I needed to launch it hard to blend in.

I rev'd it up to about 5000 rpm and rode the clutch out through first gear and banged second. I probably hit 60 in about 4 point something seconds. Well funny part of the story is when I got to work, I parked and went to get out of the car and noticed that my passenger side floor mat had folded in half back over itself. :wink: Now that is a hard launch!

No floor mats in my car...I had one slip and lock the Gas pedal in at full throttle...talk about a ride through town. All I could do is bang the next 2 gears before I got my wits about me and shut her off and coasted to the side to remove the floor mat and hope I hadn't killed the turbo from oil starvation. As far as acceleration goes...I've broken my seat coming off the starting line at the track. Sheard the bolts clean in 2. That was just plain scary. Launching at 6500 with some sticky slocks and all of a sudden, you can't see a thing because your almost laying in the back!

I used to have a junkyard special V8 chevy Monza. I had slapped a running 400 with a nasty hydraulic cam and 305 heads on it with a Victor jr intake and 780DP holley. Made three weekends of great passes with a set of used slicks on circle track rims and welded differential and a 411 gear from an S10, 3000 stall th350. Buddy of mine let me "borrow" a 150hp NO2 kit for a "streetcar shootout" at Dunn/Benson dragstrip. I made 9 rounds and ended up finishing in 4th place because I had stiff competition and hit the bottle right out of the hole. I twisted the unibody and popped the windshield right out on the track! I didn't know whoever had the car before me had replaced the shield and used clear gasket sealer to hold it in....good show though... popped the motor the same weeknd at a Sunday run at Roxboro Dragway, car burned in the endfield beyond reasonable repair. I had fun though!!

Hard launches are cool... not that my beast GMC one tone dually is compareable to a WRX, but there is something to be said for the 'off the line torque' of the old 454... many things/people/coffee have gone flying in the cab when I smash it to the floor. :-D

Actually, I was *almost* injured one day when all the loose change came flying out of the ashtray (under the dash) and pelted me in the knee cap.... :lol: I had to 'lay down the law' to a kid in a Cavalier (4 door, complete with fart can exhast and a rear wing...) Good times....

When i was a kid, one of my dad's friends gave me a ride in his turbo 911

He put a 20$ bill on the dash and said, if you can grab it before I pull out of 1st gear, it's yours.:confused::eek::D

Well, good thing I had'nt allready made plans for that 20:mad::cry2:

240tt

...Stage1 floor mats wouldn't have folded back with such force.

:lmao::2thumbs:

Hard launches are cool... not that my beast GMC one tone dually is compareable to a WRX, but there is something to be said for the 'off the line torque' of the old 454... many things/people/coffee have gone flying in the cab when I smash it to the floor. :-D

Actually, I was *almost* injured one day when all the loose change came flying out of the ashtray (under the dash) and pelted me in the knee cap.... :lol: I had to 'lay down the law' to a kid in a Cavalier (4 door, complete with fart can exhast and a rear wing...) Good times....

WOW, your back, one day I noticed, hmmmm-what happened to datsunlover, and I checked your s/n and it said you haven't been on since last x-mas or so. Glad to see your back. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

WOW, your back, one day I noticed, hmmmm-what happened to datsunlover, and I checked your s/n and it said you haven't been on since last x-mas or so. Glad to see your back. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Heh... yah, I'm back... in bits and pieces. No internet at my house yet, so I'm hijacking the girlfriends computer. I started thinking of where to put the cool 454 from the piece of crap dually I drive (you know, when the truck falls apart from all the hard launching and crazy driving I do in it) and figured I'd come back to the only place I could think of to get some ideas. :twisted:

Isnt the truck block the "tall deck" block? Not many goodies for those are there??

Well, I must admit I don't know a whole lot about it yet (I'm currently searching and gathering info) but the truck is a 91 with a 'Tonawanda' mark 5 454. Same motor as my buddys truck, whicn we rebuilt last winter.. Comp cam, hooker headers, and he's talking about getting an aftermarket TBI system (basicaly an Edlebroke carb w/injectors in it.) His truck's a 2 wheel drive, dropped about 6" and WOW does IT go like stink!