HybridZ

My New Wheels Arrived...

They're TSW Thrusters in 18X9.5 w/22mm offset. The lip is 3 7/8th and it's a 5X4.5 pattern. The wheels weigh approximately 22#s although they felt a tad heavier. I bought these as the Street/rain wheels. They're $199 each and look pretty nice. In the pics I've got a 5/8th spacer front and rear behind each wheel.

Here are some pics:

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0021-1.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0023-3.jpg

Damn thats going to look tuff!!!! I have had my Tsw Trophys 18's for about 4 years and they are holding incredible. They still look brand new and they still shine as they did day I got them. I am certain that you will enjoy those wheels for long time great pick : )

Ivo

The new wheels look fantastic, but is this the size you really wanted? (18"?) Seems like the car would sit higher on 18"s than on 17"s. However, recalling your suspension setup, I can picture that perhaps you'll get the car as low as you need it to be, but will that be where you want it to be? I'm afraid of 18" wheels since I believe they'll make the car sit higher off the ground (think of the bling 22" dub rims on those God-forsaken DONKS...well maybe not that bad, but you get the idea...) than what I desire. I know the car is a combo car, not track devoted, but I'm just wondering what you think is "optimal" for it.

BTW, it looks great so far!!! :2thumbs: Good to see how fast everything is happening now.

Davy

The new wheels look fantastic, but is this the size you really wanted? (18"?) Seems like the car would sit higher on 18"s than on 17"s. However, recalling your suspension setup, I can picture that perhaps you'll get the car as low as you need it to be, but will that be where you want it to be? I'm afraid of 18" wheels since I believe they'll make the car sit higher off the ground (think of the bling 22" dub rims on those God-forsaken DONKS...well maybe not that bad, but you get the idea...) than what I desire. I know the car is a combo car, not track devoted, but I'm just wondering what you think is "optimal" for it.

BTW, it looks great so far!!! :2thumbs: Good to see how fast everything is happening now.

Davy

Davy, Actually the car is solely a track car that I'll drive on the street ONLY to break in and occasionally shake down before track events. It has no heat/HVAC and zero other creature comforts.

I have a "Too low" issue at the moment. What's funny is that I didn't section a strut in my setup, but used camber plates, and I still sit way low, so any "lift" is just fine. I can't go ANY higher in the rear with my suspension without eating into the "droop" on the strut. It has to be able to top out.

The other swaying factor for me was the availability of tires and the trend in the industry. 17s are currently the standard, but with the most current of automotive technology, more vehicles are coming in 18 and 19 inch sizes. I opted for the 18s because of this. I plan to track this car for quite some time, and I want to be able to have a vast range of tire selections. And I can still get a 25inch diameter Hooser which still keeps the car VERY low. On street treads, I'll probably have a 26.5 inch diameter tire, which is OK and will raise the car only a little. The wheel well will be full, but that isn't a bad thing!

Mike

Davy, Actually the car is solely a track car that I'll drive on the street ONLY to break in and occasionally shake down before track events.

I must have misunderstood another post of yours from another thread. My bad.

I have a "Too low" issue at the moment.

I find that interesting, but not unbelievable. I can't for pics of the car with rubber!!

The other swaying factor for me was the availability of tires and the trend in the industry. 17s are currently the standard, but with the most current of automotive technology, more vehicles are coming in 18 and 19 inch sizes. I opted for the 18s because of this.

I have to agree with you there, although I think the industry trend is unfortunate, especially for "old" cars like our own that do better (in my opinion) with 15" to 17" wheels and proper offsets that are now difficult to find.

Keep the updates coming as they happen :2thumbs:

Davy

After noticing an out-of-balance issue with a stub axle last night (I'd drilled my own stubaxles several years ago for the five lug swap!!!) I decided to bite the bullet today and ORDER A SET OF MM BILLET STUB AXLES!!!

I hope they get here quickly...This is really the last big ticket item, other than tires and tuning... :2thumbs:

Mike

After noticing an out-of-balance issue with a stub axle last night (I'd drilled my own stubaxles several years ago for the five lug swap!!!) I decided to bite the bullet today and ORDER A SET OF MM BILLET STUB AXLES!!!

I hope they get here quickly...This is really the last big ticket item, other than tires and tuning... :2thumbs:

Mike

You Are the Man!! I want to get a set of those stub axles myself. I'm jealous. I have nightmares about snaping an axle, and shearing a fender off.

The wheels are gorgeous!

Looks great mike. Very, very nice. I'm looking onto going 5 on 4.5 as well and wondered which route you went with the front and rears? You drilled them both for 5 lug? Which rotors/calipers are you running? Those MM billet stubs look awesome but a little out of my price range right now. Actually, they're a little out of the wife's price range right now ;) Z is looking real good.

Davy

I think the thing people don't realize in the 17 vs. 18 inch comparison is that for the width you can get a tire that's quite a bit shorter when you go 18's. Here are approximate heights for the following sizes. A 285/30/18 is the shortest/widest you can get.

245/40/17 24.7 inches

275/40/17 25.7 inches

285/30/18 24.8 inches

265/35/18's 25.3 inches tall

255/35/18's 25.1

Basically if you want any common width in a 17 inch tire over a 245/40/17 you're better off going with 18's height wise.

Nice wheels by the way :)

Looks great mike. Very, very nice. I'm looking onto going 5 on 4.5 as well and wondered which route you went with the front and rears? You drilled them both for 5 lug? Which rotors/calipers are you running? Those MM billet stubs look awesome but a little out of my price range right now. Actually, they're a little out of the wife's price range right now ;) Z is looking real good.

Jersey, I have TWO sets of Jamie T's aluminum front hubs. I opted for those and sold Ross' fronts that Jim M. gave me. Jamie's Front hubs are a real piece of work. I grabbed a second set from Jamie in the price for the paint/body and fabrication work. I just wanted to have the spare set just incase!

The front brakes are the same PBR caliper Ross uses and I used the stock Mustang Cobra rotor to start with. I'll likely swap to the aluminum wilwood front hub center and the replacable outter rotor they also offer. The rears are gonna be Mustang gt rear rotors and Chevy Z06 rear calipers.

Mike