HybridZ

Need some info from metal working gurus..

Cruez

Got a question...

I have been doing the prep work on some Big Bear Chopper builds to be powdercoated... and there is something on the flat steel panels that has me puzzled...

There is some type of coating on them that is extremely hard to get off....

When I put a 24 grit disc on it with a die grinder, its like eggs on teflon... it will hardly come off.... even sandblasting it is tough... any clue on what this stuff is ?????

Some of the hot rolled steel has mill scale on it, its really really hard stuff.

When I worked at a tool and die shop some of the die plates had this on them, I think a solution was to use this special really really big mill (multiple rotating heads cutting over a rotating work surface).

I don't remember what we used to get it off the smaller stuff, probably just painted over it, we were concerned with functionality, not looks (unlike a chopper)

YEP! He hit it on the head, MILL SCALE. Probably something like a 1/8" (0.125") thick or thicker, right? Definately Mill Scale by the sounds of it.

Black Magic will take it off, but doesn't leave a nice smooth surface to powdercoat.

Try a 4" grinder with a 60 grit flapper wheel, and then clean it up with something slightly finer till you can finish your stuff with some abrasive blasting.

From what I am hearing... I think it might be the mill scale...

Thanks for the info.... (even though its still a PITA to get off :) )

Here is a few shots of one of the completed Choppers I did that was at the Easy Riders show in Charlotte last weekend.. It was black.... but.. still turned out very nice.

img_1.jpg

img_2.jpg

img_3.jpg

I found that on some of the steel that I have bought the mill scale actually clogs the flap disk on a grinder. For those pieces I use a knotted wire wheel. It has to be a newer wire wheel too, an older one won't do it.

I hate mill scale...

Ditto that scale just laughs at 60 grit flapper wheel - even a new one. I cant get a wire wheel to take it off but I dont have a new other either. In fact I cant find anything to take it off efficiently.

Cameron