HybridZ

Finished my hood scoop. 

My only goal was to assist in getting hot air OUT..   280ZX turbo scoop in reverse with slight mods.

post-1894-0-77817700-1365383423_thumb.jpg

I beat to my own drum, so don't get bent around the venturi with the effectiveness of reverse submerged NACA extractor coefficient ..

We think it looks neat.

Edited by duragg

LOL you know... I think most people who see this for the first time are going to think you were drunk. Are you sure you weren't overly embellishing the alcohol on this one a bit, and then realized you put it in backwards? Is that a heart on your hood too? Peace and love were definitely on your mind with this one huh....

LOL you know... I think most people who see this for the first time are going to think you were drunk. Are you sure you weren't overly embellishing the alcohol on this one a bit, and then realized you put it in backwards? Is that a heart on your hood too? Peace and love were definitely on your mind with this one huh....

Nothing as exciting, sorry.

I gave the order and VanManSam did the cutting and install.

The heart was spray painted by a certain fellow pilot we call Weasel months ago; he'll pay for that. :)

My plans are as follows, to direct air into the front with aluminum ducting as has been done on here. Have the cold air enter in at the naca duct front, and hot out at the rear section (idling at lights) of the naca duct/louvered inspection lids and lastly cut dimple die holes in the rear fr fenders and apply metal ducting/tunnel to the side vents. Hopefully the hot, high pressure air will flow somewhat freely out the side holes and vents, or I will resort to adding small pusher fans for added flow as Bartman has done. 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/95218-functional-fender-venting/?hl=fender+venting

post-736-0-53327200-1365472745_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-70499400-1365472763_thumb.jpg

I like that duragg. What if you put a small little lip/angle just before the "extractor" part, that might help create a vac... Maybe...

And they said it couldn't be done...  behold:

post-1894-0-03785700-1365475140_thumb.jpg

or wait,  they might have said it shouldn't be done.  I wasn't paying attention again.

Yarn stood right up after I added the air trip device.  Heat pours out at idle.  Not sure how much it does to relieve hood pressure, but you can gain leaps and bounds there by simply blocking most of the nose grill.

08092010945-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

Here are some pics of the hood vents I installed in my Betamotorsports hood:

247555_645013728848388_583634819_n_zps13485502_646391555377272_1708744973_n_zps6img_7316_zpsc75be3ad.jpg

I placed them based on the info I had from the tests and think we "should" have decent results.  Also, when I installed these, I decided to draw the hood down tight to the seal of the cowl.  Prior to installing the hood vents I would leave it loose and let the underhood pressure push it up against the hood pins.  That would result in about 1 inch of hood rise under pressure and would allow for more air to escape from under the car thru the opening. We'll see how this works out. 

The limited testing I did at the track three weeks ago had zero negative effect on the car.  I'll be at NCCAR next Saturday with the car and hope to get more track time in.  I'll report back.

Mike

Miles is nearly at the appropriate method by using electric fans to remove heat from the engine compartment by creating a low pressure area by use of fans.  I have looked at a lot of posts regarding adding vents to get rid of the engine heat.  The vents will only be effective if they are placed in a tested and verified LOW pressure area.  The effective way of creating a low pressure area is by installing an electric fan.  Let's see what kind of comments this post creates.