HybridZ

Well the time has come... the L28 is coming out.

240hoke

Well Guys,

The turbo finally gave up the ghost, Im assuming the bearings are shot in it (one year old?!?!) shes blowing oil like nobodys buisness. Anyway, Ive decide I need to cut my losses on the L28 and go with a different powerplant. Ill have a chance to expand my knowledge and fab skills to something else... newer and more reliable. I havent quite picked out a power plant yet but Ive got a few in mind.

That being said I'm pulling out the L28 today and everything will be up for sale. I am planning on parting everything out... but if anybody is interested I would sell the whole package...it reallly needs the turbo rebuilt and she would be ready to go.

Keep an eye on the classifieds as I will have a BUNCH of L28 goodies including a complete i/c kit, methanol kit, external gated turbo setup with downpipe, complete z32 tranny swap, SDS ready to bolt up, 550cc injectors and rail, blah blah blah......

RIP L

verticle_IC_005.sized.jpg

Wow, didn't see that coming. I'm sure the next drivetrain combo will look just as impressive as the L6. If it all doesn't go as a package I'll throw some cash at the trans I/C setup and meth setup. You can never have too many spares. Let me know.

Joe

• Administrators

Austin,

Hmmm… For some reason I’m envisioning a custom induction VH45DE like that one in Japan. Something along those lines, but of course custom and not like that one. maybe super charged?... It sure would look gorgeous under the hood of your car… Gobs of Nissan Torque... :burnout: And it has LOTS of Wow factor which compliments your car, i.e. LOTS of WOW factor… cool.gif

q45zpower_03rw.jpg

q45zpower_16rw.jpg

Gonna try for another "Organizer's Favorite" at SEZ with something different, huh? That's ok, you have until March 08 to get it finished. :)

I too, had a feeling that you'd change to a different power plant before long. I'm sure you're making the right decision under the circumstances.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

Warren

Mike - I could only wish for something like that! i think my funds will limit me to something a little less exotic.

I got the motor completely pulled yesterday and started tearing everything down. I will be trying to decide on prices for everything and should get alot posted up tonight.

Right now Im thinking LS1 turbo, 2JZ, or possibly a RB26 I have a lead on. But im still doing research and prolly will never decide until i buy something.

Good luck on the next iteration of a gorgeous car.

Any of those 3 will do nicely. Do not procrastinate. Just do whichever is most readily available.

Since you like to drag race, any of those 3 with a manual and really sticky tires (and you will need them) will grenade the rear end, so make sure you think about that.

Right now Im thinking LS1 turbo, 2JZ, or possibly a RB26 I have a lead on. But im still doing research and prolly will never decide until i buy something.

Austin, those are all good powerplants, but very different. Be sure to get what you really want as opposed to what becomes available. If deep down you really want X, and get Y because you got a good deal on it you''ll regret it down the line.

I think Clifton has a high horsepower 2JZ and is switching to LSx power, so you might want to ask him why he's switching. If possible it's good to talk with owners of each of these powerplants built up to the way you would run it and see what they have to say.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll do a great job on it and it will be kick-*ss!.

Mines a street car first. For me, I'm fairly happy with my power but 3 liters off boost is still just 3 liters. The turbo needed to make 600 rwhp has a lot of lag on a 3.0. Yes you can use n20 to spool it faster but it takes the fun out of a street car. It would be nice to run the same size turbo with more discplacement, have the same over all power but have it come on at 3k instead of 4500. If I wasn't partial to 4 valve V8's I would go turbo LS1 or LS6 in a second. The torque curve would be insane. If yours is mainly a street car, look at some dynos of similar engine setups, not just peak HP or torque but the torque curve.