HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

What's the deadline for these? I haven't been paid in a month, and I think now is the time to tell them to fork over their own money and pay me before I take it to legal.

There is no deadline at the moment per se - but it is first come first serve. The representative has ordered 40 sets in 4 colors and will be ordering more as he starts to run out or as demand increases. If a color runs out and you order it, you may be waiting a little while longer. Eventually I would assume prices would rise as well, but I do not know when that will be, maybe far off future, maybe a few months.

So,.. now he IS ordering colors without the minimum of 10 orders ahead of time? I saw you listed gold... #%*$#@ !!!

Yes... I explained this in a few posts. He was unwilling to order more RB's due to the up and coming RB-R release. The original two colors of RB he ordered (20) was also before he had confirmed a minimum of 10 people...

I would assume that the representative is trying to process a large number of orders and probably has not been working over the weekend and consequently has not responded to all your emails. I am sure the representative wants money just as badly as you all want wheels. I will call him tomorrow if you guys don't start receiving emails by then. :)

Remember, the wheels are already on order in the four colors I mentioned before. 10 sets of each color. I don't think there is much to do right now but wait. I know everyone is very anxious to get their order through and receive the wheels, but it isn't going to come any faster. I do understand though that the representative can be difficult to deal with and his responses are not 'instant', but please do hold tight and refrain from overloading him with emails about why he has not responded. Thanks guys!

How would the YZ flares work with these? Too big?

Justin

I would suspect them to be too large based off of the photos I have seen. You might have luck getting an answer to the question by either emailing reaction research or possibly Dan Juday who happens to have a set of YZ's on the rear of his build.

I GOT AN EMAIL BACK!!!! finally. anyway, he said he would call me when my wheels are ready! im f'n stoked. thanks chris.

Glad to hear it!

Anyone else out there who has NOT received an email in a relatively timely manor? I know his replies can be a bit cursory, but at the end of the day I have all the confidence that the wheels will arrive here appropriately.

I JUST landed in Rome, Italy about 3 hours ago. I will be here until the 20th of August, so if my replies are a bit latent, you know why. Feel free to continue to post inquiries and PM me though. Just don't expect them back within 12 hours. :P

Any idea if the lip of the 17x9 -13 is more than the 17x8.5 +4?

This I do not know... It depends if the 17x8.5" is RB or RB-R. The RB lips are ~3" on both front and rear. The RB-R is approximately ~3" rear and probably ~2.5" front. That is to say the RB-R has a little less lip up front and equal in the rear due to the nature of the concave design.

I got an email from Kim as well regarding the wheels, i'm stoked, can't wait to get back home in the U.S. which is probably gonna be perfect timing. My question is, does anyone know where to get the ZG flares? I know that there's a group buy for the really wide ones. I just don't want to buy the flares and end up being the wrong ones...

Thanks fellas.

Got mine here:

http://classicdatsun.com/

Folks,

Just got a set of the 17x9, 17x9.5 RBs and wanted to share a few views I don't think others have posted included the tuner lugs that Rota provides. Also is a comparison of my existing 16x7 Panasports with these new wheels. The additional 1-1.5" inch lip on the new wheels looks pretty sharp.

Matt

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20655

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20649

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20648

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20647

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20646

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20645

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20644

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=20643

Do the 2+2 have wider rear fenders?

Justin

Yes remember they are wider at the rear, ever seen a 2+2 bumper on a 2 seater? Maybe you haven't as you guys did not have the 240z style bumpers right up to 78 did you? Anyway they are about 1" wider on either side to allow for room for the seat in the back. I think the track is almost the same in the rear so that make the rear fender/guards wider to keep the lines good. I recall someone here in NZ purchasing a slam panel replacement form the US only to find it did not fit the 2+2 as it was too small = he on sold it and the panel beater had to fab one up.

Anyone else have their wheels balanced on a Road Force Variance machine and note that they had a "warped" machined lip? I had one of the 9.5" wheels that way. The tech came and got me to show what it was like. There's no way they could have been bent like that since the distortion goes all the way to the ring the spokes are attached to. The boxes looked pristine. They did what they could with it but it may vibrate...

Do you have a picture of the wheel Wizard and the distortion? Have you contacted Kim? I would advise talking to the representative before driving on the wheel if it appears to be deformed.

I spoke with Discount Tire and they have dealt with Rota before. They just say the wheel mounting machine bent the wheel which is not possible. Likewise for shipping damage. It was shipped this way. You cannot see it with a still image, but when you spin the wheel you can see that the machined lip has a spot that doesn't "fall in line" (or a high spot, etc.) with the rest. I'll give it a shot with Kim, but even IF they admit to a flaw and IF they would replace it, am I really going to wait another X months for a replacement? I would have to dismount the wheel and ship it back and wait.. and wait...

This concerns me a lot. Colorado Customs used to have the same problem with there wheels, that is why I did not buy from them back in the day. Please inform all of us if there are any others out there,and how Rota handles this little "problem".

I'll find out. Discount Tire said that worst case it'd vibrate a tad. He did re-index the rubber on the rim to get it down to a reasonable road force variance. He said it "wasn't bad". I suspect the sheet size of the wheels/tires is more than he is used to and that was contributing. I was lucky in that they were all drooling over the concept it was going on a Z and I hung out and chatted with 'em. You'd be amazed what a bit 'o that will do.

Whatever you do, however, be sure to tell the guy mounting the rubber to use plenty of lube and have a second guy standing there to help coax it onto the rim.

TIRES!!! have a lot to do with mounting difficulty. We are not mounting a 285/65/17" SUV tire on these rims.

Stiffness:

The race tires have thick, stiff sidewalls. A lot of high perf tires have similar sidewalls though not as extreme.

mounting clearance:

You go get a xxx/40/xx-Z-rated tire and try to mount it on any rim and it is harder than 99.99% of the tires out there. It just doesn't fit into the drop center section as well as taller tires. The cord and bead are rock hard to keep it's shape at high speed.

This requires 2 people at the mounting machine or they will gouge the rim. I don't care if the redneck can do it by himself. It is not a wise move with a customer's blemish-free, brand-spanking-new rims.

Fitment:

What sizes are giving the most difficulty? It would be a good indication of the optimum size and sidewall design for street use.